Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are sonograms "illegal" or "outlawed" in Europe and Australia?

Are sonograms "illegal" or "outlawed" in Europe and Australia?

Yeah, I know, VERY odd question. I am on this other site frequently, and someone had posted about declawing their cat. I weighed in on how it is illegal/outlawed in alot of Europe, and there must be a reason for that, blah, blah, blah, and the US is sorely behind the time with our laws.

Well, someone's comeback to my post was that it is also illegal or outlawed to do a sonogram on a pregnant person in Europe and Australia. The intent of this person was to draw the comparison between what Americans do, and what other countries do, and therefore, one can't 'assume' there is a good reason to not do something in the US based on what some other country does.

So, since I wasn't aware of the thing with sonograms, and not really believing it, I need to know what goes on in other countries. I don't want to post a snappy comeback, and find out that I am wrong.

Does anyone know firsthand about this? Second, anyone know anyone that positively had a sonogram in Europe or Australia, and can tell me about it?

This is exactly what was said:

Originally posted by GatesMommy
    [br]
    Originally posted by Jonahsmom
    [br] It isn't outlawed in most of Europe without reason.
    Not that I agree with declawing since what my cat went through. I wanted to mention that alot of European Countries and Australia have outlawed Ultrasounds on pregnant women. My friend lives in Australia, and was telling me about it when I told her I was going for mine.

Wow that sounds fishy to me. I honestly have no idea, but I am interested to hear others' responses. I can't imagine why they would be outlawed.....

From what I could find in some googling (I was curious), I think it's a load of hogwash. I could find nothing to support that. I could only find some articles that India banned the use of prenatal ultrasounds to determine the sex of the child. I'd be shocked if someone confirms that lady's story is true. Perhaps the friend was advised against it (there are some studies that question the safety of them). Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will shed more light on it.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

I can't find anything official, but here are a couple links for you:
    http://www.englishforum.ch/family-ma...ltrasound.html
    First one is a BB thread about an Aussie woman who will be in Europe at the time she's due for an ultrasound and how easy it is to get one arranged there.
    http://www.acegraphics.com.au/articles/wagner02.html
    Second one is some guy from the WHO about safety concerns and policy in Europe(Some countries seem to only do scans on high risk women, others routinely).

I have a cousin who married and Australian man and lives just outside of Melbourne now. They have two sets of twins and I'll guarentee they had sonograms/ultrasounds. I've seen the pictures!

I love that I can count on you guys. I will wait for more info before I post anything else. , this other site is so off-putting at times.

Are you sure that a sonogram and an ultrasound are the same thing? I don't know but would check before I zinged!

A sonogram uses ultrasound waves..the terms are often used interchangably.

I have friends in both Europe and Australia on my parenting/pregnancy forum and they have all had sonograms!! What a bunch of phooey!!
    I know that when I was in Japan I was told that they would not allow sonograms before a certain number of weeks to prevent people from aborting a baby of the "wrong" gender. Perhaps this person is just confused and needs to be enlightened
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I'd be delighted to ask them directly and have them write something up for you if you'd like me to
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

M- I cut and pasted your response, removing your name, and posted. I wasn't sure why someone propurtedly(sic) against declawing would attempt to weaken another's argument against it as well. But, as I said, it is somewhat of a mystifying site at times, but, I am strangely drawn to it. Eeek.

Ultrasound examinations are certainly not illegal in the UK. They are considered a routine examination. I have never heard of anyone outlawing them.

100% legal here in Spain and in Cyprus.

P.S. Seen it with my own eyes!

well...I live in Italy and I can tell you it is legal here as well.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica