Thread: FDA new report - 1,950 cat deaths

FDA new report - 1,950 cat deaths

This from the VetPet Digest:

DETENTION WITHOUT PHYSICAL EXAMINATION OF ALL VEGETABLE PROTEIN PRODUCTS
    FROM CHINA FOR ANIMAL OR HUMAN FOOD USE DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF MELAMINE
    AND/OR MELAMINE ANALOGS"

TYPE OF ALERT: Detention Without Physical Examination (Countrywide)

PRODUCTS:
    Wheat Gluten, Rice Gluten, Rice Protein, Rice Protein Concentrate, Corn
    Gluten, Corn Gluten Meal, Corn By-Products, Soy Protein, Soy Gluten,
    Proteins (includes amino acids and protein hydrosylates), Mung Bean Protein

MANUFACTURER/SHIPPER: All
    ------------------------------------------------------

To see the full FDA import alert notice, see here:
    http://www.fda.gov/ora/fiars/ora_import_ia9929.html

-------------------------------------------------------

Note: Instead of the usual "16 pet deaths have been reported", in this alert
    they are actually stating:

"As of April 26, 2007, FDA had received over 17,000 consumer complaints
    relating to this outbreak, and those complaints included reports of
    approximately 1950 deaths of cats and 2200 deaths of dogs."

We will probably never know about the exact number of deaths...

If the products have been labeled as non-food products, how comes that all the major food companies selling so-called high-quality food decide to incorporate it in their products

This is sooooo horrible, and my heart breaks for all these poor cats and dogs, and their humans. I have no words for this tragedy, and it leaves you very confused about what to feed your pet at all!!

I also wonder if any of these products have been sold on the European market?

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten
    This is sooooo horrible, and my heart breaks for all these poor cats and dogs, and their humans. I have no words for this tragedy, and it leaves you very confused about what to feed your pet at all!!

I also wonder if any of these products have been sold on the European market?

Kirsten
    From what I have read, Kirsten, the EU has more rigorous controls and checks on food imports than the U.S. That may change because the ripples of this problem are ever-widening.

That may change because the ripples of this problem are ever-widening.
    I fear so, too. Besides, the Hill's food I buy at my vet's is delivered from the US, as far as I know. I need to ask my vet about it the next time.

All this is so heartbreaking! I imagine all these poor animals eating happily their meals, not knowing that it's leading to their death. I know I shouldn't torture myself with thoughts like that, but I just can't help it.

Kirsten

The Pet Angels Say That There Have So Many Pets Coming Up And Wondering What Happened As They Were Eating The Food That They Always Ate And Then Suddenly There They Were At The Rainbow Bridge.
    All Those Dear Pets Lost, This Is A Tragedy.
    We Can Only Pray That Enough Voters Will Make The Politicians Take Heed Of This And Make The Pet Food People Smarten Up.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Kirsten, as far as I know the suppliers are not the same for food made and sold in Europe. For instance, the Royal Canin food sold in Europe is made in the French manufacture and they have local suppliers for the ingredients, not the chinese ones. For Hill's I have no idea. But this doesn't mean it's completely safe anyway.

I do not know if the problem has hit Europe. In France we do not hear anything about animal deaths and Food recalls. In the Netherlands I have vaguely heard of it because I work in a company who is testing all kinds of foods and chemicals for toxicity, otherwise there is nothing said.

I saw on the news last night that they (FDA) are initiating 100% inspection on lots of gluten products coming from China, and the product will not be released until they pass.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia59
    Kirsten, as far as I know the suppliers are not the same for food made and sold in Europe. For instance, the Royal Canin food sold in Europe is made in the French manufacture and they have local suppliers for the ingredients, not the chinese ones. For Hill's I have no idea. But this doesn't mean it's completely safe anyway.

I do not know if the problem has hit Europe. In France we do not hear anything about animal deaths and Food recalls. In the Netherlands I have vaguely heard of it because I work in a company who is testing all kinds of foods and chemicals for toxicity, otherwise there is nothing said.
    One problem, even for Europe, is that China has pretty much cornered the market on vitamin production and distribution. In the same article I read about the EU inspections, it also said they had found bacteria in a shipment of Vitamin A from China that was slated to go to a baby food plant in Europe. All vitamins distributed in the U.S. now come from Asia, the majority from China except, I think, for some Vitamin C from one U.S. factory that is about to close down.

I've also read on the VetPet Digest, from some pharmacy/chemistry posters, that the authorities must have known about adulteration with melamine, and it's been going on for many years in China, for them to have pinpointed it so quickly.

I have just contacted the manufacturers of the food I buy for my girls (Hill's, Purina, Kattovit, and Animonda) and asked for a statement regarding their safety measures for the European market. Wonder if any of them will reply...

Kirsten

Kirsten, I would imagine that any smart pet food company would be diligent in responding to concerned pet owners. If they don't you must wonder.

The update I received from www.itchmo.com last night said that there were two European foods included in this most recent recall. I can't remember what they were, though.

Our prayers continue for all of the families of the pets who were affected by this horrible thing. I only know of one from our "family" at Dr. Robinson's office and she (Katie) was so sick at the same time Lilly was. She was euthanized a week before Lilly was.

Logan

The update I received from www.itchmo.com last night said that there were two European foods included in this most recent recall. I can't remember what they were, though.
    These are indeed worrisome news, and I'd really like to know what kind of food that was! I just did some research myself, but couldn't find any infos.

Logan, I'm so very sorry about Lilly!! And about that Katie girl, too!

Kirsten

Here is what my email contained, Kirsten.

Full details:
    http://www.itchmo.com/read/breaking-...ation_20070502

BREAKING NEWS: Menu Foods Recall Expands Dramatically Due to Cross-Contamination
    May 2nd, 2007

This recall expansion covers dozens of new brands and foods - wet foods only. Menu Foods is now recalling additional foods due to cross-contamination, more than a month and a half after the initial recall. (Corrected) The recall also expanded to include 2 varieties in Europe.

Menu Foods expanded recall list at:
    http://www.itchmo.com/read/breaking-...ation_20070502

Brands covered in expansion are listed at Itchmo. New brands are marked (New). Our recall list is now up-to-date.

Menu Foods says:

Menu Foods has previously recalled wet cat and dog food produced with adulterated wheat gluten supplied by ChemNutra Inc. Menu Foods is now expanding the recall to include cuts and gravy and select other products which do not include ChemNutra wheat gluten but which were manufactured at any of Menu Foods' plants during the period that ChemNutra wheat gluten was used at that plant, to the extent they have not already been subject to a recall, due to the possibility of cross-contamination. Menu Foods has received a report from a customer and has received study results, both of which indicate cross-contamination.

Subscribe/Unsubscribe: www.itchmo.com/alerts