Thread: Barfing up POO?!?!

Barfing up POO?!?!

OMG, I didn't think it was possible, but I'm pretty sure Ivy just barfed up poo. I opened up her mouth earlier today and noticed a bit of black stuff on her teeth. I thought it was tartar, so I just scraped it off with a toothbrush.

WRONG!!! Just a couple minutes ago, she heaved and hurled out a pile of what looked to be diarrhea. First question, what can I do to clean/freshen her mouth?? It smells like poo *gags*. Unless she learns how to expectorate, I doubt brushing would work.. I was thinking a Greenie, but she got spayed yesterday and is not ready to begin eating her regular rations. Second question, has anybody ever heard of anything like this? For what it's worth, Ivy was having watery diarrhea at the vets yesterday so she did not eat for 24 hours. We broke the fast with a bit of rice, boiled chicken, and cottage cheese. Was she eating poo because she was hungry??

And I just have to get this out - EWWWW!

When Keva was throwing up a few days ago it looked (and smelled) just like diarrhea. If I hadn't seen her do it after I got home I would have thought it was that instead of vomit in her crate. Nebo has done the same thing. Neither of them eat poop either, so it wasn't eating that and throwing it back up...it just came out looking/smelling like that. I don't know what causes it, I told the vet that was what it was like and he didn't say anything about it. I hope Ivy is ok!

If it were my dog I'd just brush their teeth several times and give them some dog breathmints...and uhh stay away from doggy kisses for a few days.

I hope shes ok.

(Ew and I was eating while reading this)
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

coco use to do that. We finally switched her to a higher quality of food and ever since then her poop puke has deminished! thank god! it was awful to clean up!

Aww, I feel for you Amy. It is pretty disgusting and I'm so sorry you and Keva had to go through it!

Sooo, now, I'm not quite sure what to do. Ivy did it again; this time it was even more massive. She didn't eat a thing yesterday and only had the tiniest bit of food today. Still, she's vomiting and I don't know how she's pooping. Yesterday, though, she had liquid diarrhea.

Since she's so young and since she's kind of lean, I don't want to fast her any more than is required, but she hasn't held anything down for 36 hours at least. *sigh* Will be giving the vets a call tomorrow if nothing improves.

My Dog Owner's Veterinary Handbook says if a dog throws up material that looks and smells like fecal material to suspect obstruction in the intestinal tract. Also abdominal trauma can cause it.

I'd honestly be quite concerned that she has gone that long without being able to keep anything down, and vomiting up what looks and smells like feces. I hope she is feeling better soon. I will keep her in my thoughts.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

EWWWWWWWUHHHGHUUUUAAAAHHEW.

Poor Ivy and poor you! D: that is just no good. I hope the little girl feels better soon... I would definitely call the Vet too, based on how long she's been sick.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I agree with K9soul. I would have the vet look at Ivy. I type medical dictation and type people vomiting up feces all the time. It is usually an obstruction, sometimes even bowel being obstructed due to a hernia. Sometimes it can be cleared by laxatives, othertimes it has to be corrected surgically. I would definately be calling my vet. Hope all goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by buttercup132
    I hope shes ok.

(Ew and I was eating while reading this)
    Haha me too, yuckies.

I hope Your puppy is alright as well.

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    OMG, I didn't think it was possible, but I'm pretty sure Ivy just barfed up poo. I opened up her mouth earlier today and noticed a bit of black stuff on her teeth. I thought it was tartar, so I just scraped it off with a toothbrush.

WRONG!!! Just a couple minutes ago, she heaved and hurled out a pile of what looked to be diarrhea. First question, what can I do to clean/freshen her mouth?? It smells like poo *gags*. Unless she learns how to expectorate, I doubt brushing would work.. I was thinking a Greenie, but she got spayed yesterday and is not ready to begin eating her regular rations. Second question, has anybody ever heard of anything like this? For what it's worth, Ivy was having watery diarrhea at the vets yesterday so she did not eat for 24 hours. We broke the fast with a bit of rice, boiled chicken, and cottage cheese. Was she eating poo because she was hungry??

And I just have to get this out - EWWWW!
    You should call the Vet immediately. I've had two dogs spayed. The first one vomited upon getting home, and exiting the car. The current one, no problems. Both ate their standard food the first night without any problems, where I split the feeding into 2 portions.

Given your dog was just spayed and is vomiting intestinal content, the Vet needs to be made aware of it. If it's yellowish then it could be normal coming from the small intestine. But if brownish, then that suggests investigation by the Vet.

Just checking to see how Ivy is doing today. Please keep us updated.

I just read this, this moring & was checking back to see what the vet
    had to say. I hope Ivy is okay,
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

We called the e-vet last night and they suggested we rush her into our regular vet this morning if she hadn't improved at least slightly. Thankfully, time and patience has seem to done a lot for her. She held down her dinner of boiled rice through the night and even felt good enough to pass a celebratory poo in the morning, LOL. I came home and checked - no diarrhea, no vomit. I saw her take a drink of water, too, so I'm guessing whatever the abdominal trauma was must have passed.

Thanks all! She's acting like her normal crazy self again, so I'm not worrying anymore.

*HUGS* That is wonderful news!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    We called the e-vet last night and they suggested we rush her into our regular vet this morning if she hadn't improved at least slightly. Thankfully, time and patience has seem to done a lot for her. She held down her dinner of boiled rice through the night and even felt good enough to pass a celebratory poo in the morning, LOL. I came home and checked - no diarrhea, no vomit. I saw her take a drink of water, too, so I'm guessing whatever the abdominal trauma was must have passed.

Thanks all! She's acting like her normal crazy self again, so I'm not worrying anymore.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.