Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shy Guy Aguilar, Kitty with diaphragmatic hernia

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Shy Guy Aguilar, Kitty with diaphragmatic hernia

Cat Crazy People ~ iMOM is raising funds for this poor kitty. We've all been busy donating to get our own PT kitties to good homes, so I've hesitated to post Shy Guy's plight. If you can spare a few $$, his person would be eternally grateful.

His story so far:
    Shy Guy is a beautiful, tall, laid-back 3 year old Orange Male Tabby. He is our pride and joy, our giant "tiger". (Everyone who sees him says he should be on a calendar) We aided in bringing him into this world, actually. Shy was born on Super Bowl Sunday: February 2nd 2004, during the game. He was the "runt" (the last of 6) and mom was so tired from birthing 5 others she wasn't able to remove him from his sack, so me and my roommate had to pierce it and lightly blow on him to bring him around. He was the one we kept out of the litter. The others went to happy and healthy homes. He's always been our little boy. He's always been big and strong, loving to absolutely everyone, healthy, and silly...even adopting a stray kitten as his brother, Maximus. Max and Shy have been as tight-as-blood for over 2 years now. He's constantly depressed that he can't play the way they usually do.

Shy has been diagnosed with a Diaphramatic Hernia. About 9 months ago we came home to find Shy curled up in a ball and bleeding from his nose. We rushed him to the vet to be told he was hit by something, which we'd already figured. The xrays showed nothing major wrong (bruised rib, chipped teeth, and facial swelling). They prescribed antibiotics and sent us home. He healed quickly and continued to live his normal, happy life. Then about 3 months ago he stopped eating as much as usual, and began hacking and coughing a lot, as if he was trying to dislodge an enormous hairball. We started him on a hairball treatment. To no avail, the hacking got worse. We rushed him to the vet and they took an x-ray that showed us he has a diaphramatic hernia. The accident caused a rip in his diaphram, causing all of his organs to slip and push their way into his lung cavity. The rip has gotten considerably large over time and his lungs are so crowded he hacks all the time and can hardly breathe. He's not able to function normally, having difficulty even sleeping. The good news is that the surgery will return him back to normal, because although its extensive, it's very remedial. Until then, however, if Shy is bumped the wrong way or jumps off too high furniture, he could dislodge his organs from the chest cavity and his lungs would collapse. He would die instantly. This is is our current situation. The surgeons, who are the best in town and even present at conferences nation-wide, cannot operate on him unless they receive payment first, which is $3933. As humiliating as it is to admit, we just don't have that kind of money, resources, or credit (but we're working on it) I currently work 10-12 hour days just to make the bills. And neither myself or my partner have friends or family who can help. Until then we live in a state of constant panic. He is now an indoor cat. Most cases of this nature do not go on more than 3-4 months before the animal passes . It's been over 6 months for Shy. But that's our boy, he's a strong soldier.

So far, because this has dragged on so long (and I lament over the pain he must be enduring all this time) his liver, stomach, a kidney, and some of his intestines have slipped into his chest cavity. If this continues, his lungs can become engulfed and he will die. We have just faxed all of the necessary materials to IMOM, and have completed our application. I am very fortunate to have heard of this organization and we'll be keeping everyone posted throughout Shy's process. Thank you so much for all of your generosity, concern, and support.

Comments:

This kitty has been in need of this surgery for 6 months.

Continued next post
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

iMOM accepted Shy Guy as a PIN (Pet in Need)

Diagnosis: Diaphragmatic hernia
    Amount of estimate: $2814 - $3933 - applicant has nothing to contribute. We need to raise $2814 to reach the low end of the estimate
    Spayed or neutered: Yes
    Case worker: Tracy

As of today $175 has been raised towards this life-saving operation.

Donations can be made thru Paypal, credit card or snail. If you can help, please go to: http://www.imom.org/donation/online.htm and under the "Dedicated Donation" enter: GF - Shy Guy Aguilar

Continued next post

We've started a "Wheel of Fortune" game to raise funds for Shy Guy. You can follow the progress HERE

Please cross-post Shy Guy's story. If you have any experience with this kind of surgery, I'm sure his meowmie would love to hear from you.

Here's some info from one of the iMOM volunteers:

Thank you to all who have donated for Shy Guy so far. I know there are several other pets needing our help, but I'm not sure people understand how serious Shy's condition is. We're not talking about a little abdominal hernia here. Diaphragmatic hernias are the most complicated and severe kind. Here's some info, courtesy of Drs. Foster & Smith:

Acquired Diaphragmatic Hernia: An acquired diaphragmatic hernia is a rupture of the diaphragmatic muscle. This is the result of trauma to a cat such as a severe fall or blow to the abdomen. As the abdominal contents such as the stomach and liver are forced against the diaphragm, a tear or rupture of the muscle occurs. Once an opening in the muscle occurs, abdominal contents such as the liver, stomach, or intestines may herniate through the rupture, enter the chest, and put pressure upon the lungs. The diaphragm muscle is now compromised, as it cannot properly expand and contract. In the authors' experience, most acquired diaphragmatic hernias in cats are the result of being struck by automobiles.

What are the symptoms?

Signs associated with acquired diaphragmatic hernias may occur immediately after trauma or may not be noted for weeks. Signs of congenital diaphragmatic hernias may appear early in life or at several years of age. Difficulty in breathing is the most common symptom. The degree depends on the extent of the damage and may vary from unnoticeable to extremely labored. In severe cases, the tongue, gums and lips may appear blue. Gastrointestinal upsets such as vomiting or not eating may also be noted when the stomach or intestines herniate through the diaphragm (move through the opening of the diaphragm into the chest). The organs can then become "strangulated" or pinched off by the muscle and other organs.

What are the risks?

The risk depends on the size and location of the hernia within the diaphragm. A small hernia in the diaphragm may go unnoticed and the cat will live a normal life. Cats with severe hernias in the diaphragm, may develop symptoms quickly and die if left unattended.

What is the management?

Anytime a diaphragmatic hernia is suspected, a veterinary exam should be sought at once. Radiographs (X-rays) will often lead to immediate diagnosis. If a diaphragmatic hernia is suspected, surgical correction is the only treatment and should be attempted as soon as the pet is stabilized. (emphasis added)

Folks, this cat's organs are poking through into his chest cavity. He should have had corrective surgery 9 MONTHS AGO. His family still has $2639 to raise.

His family still has $2639 to raise.
    Make that $2589.00

Let's go, PT!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Catty ~ Thank you so much! Shy Guy's donations are $300 now.

The volunteers at iMOM have started a Wheel of Fortune game to raise funds. You can buy a letter for $25 to help fund Shy Guy. Check it out HERE

OH man....$300 and this kitty has been waiting for MONTHS. Folks, the owner did try to get several different quotes - but she's in an area where the regular vets have no experience with this surgery, and the one specialty place is the only game in town. She is too far from anywhere else to take Shy Guy!

She has increased her work day from 12 to 14 hours to pay for the surgery. She is checking out other organizations to help with the surgery costs. She is now oraganizing a bake sale to help too!

Check out the link Tracy posted and play the Vanna White game there...the woman who created the game says when it is done, she will donate $100 herself!

$25 a letter. Check it out!

The Wheel of Fortune game continues on iMOM. Letters are $25. Here's the board so far....

I bought an E... so we're at:

We're getting so close now! Who else would like to help Shy Guy by buying a letter for $25?

Fund Update for Shy Guy: $600 in donations

WHEW

Better!

I think I can guess the answer - but if people buy more letters, the better!

He's still $2000.00 away from what he needs the poor guy! I gave as much as I could. I hope they can raise enough for him!

I cross-posted to Cats in Calgary, a Yahoo group. I hope the moderators will allow it in, and someone will help.

From Shy Guy's mom today:

Hello Angels!
    I have been diligently working on baking cookies, brownies and cupcakes to raise for Shy. Me and my friends and partner will be selling these for donations at out local Natural Food Market. Theres alot of traffic through there and many animal lovers. Im hoping it will be a big success. As for Shy Guy, he's not doing so well today. he's been very lethargic and tired. Just not himself. I'm really worried about him. He's been hacking on and off a little today and he hasn't for awhile now. He's been resting a great deal today, he still eating which is good. I think there was a question posted about how large his chest is. He is normally a bit barrel chested anyway, being the big ol tiger he is. But yes his chest is expanded and enlarged even more due to his intestines etc being pushed up through his chest cavity, causing him extreme duress when he breathes. Thank you all for your continued help, support, prayers and kind words. Shy sends his love to all of you. I'm in the midst of packaging all the goodies and still baking so I will post again asap. Have a wonderful day Angels.
    Blessings,
    Shea

If you are heading out to a restaurant or bar or whatever, take up a collection in a baseball cap! Pool or other game player? Play for Shy Guy!

I know everyone here has given what they can - now bug your friends and family!

5/1/07 fund update

We're making great progress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GF - Abbe Morana 165.00
    GF - Anna Van der Merwe 3,410.00
    GF - Buddy Shoesmith 353.00
    GF - Chappy Luzaber 420.00
    GF - Charley Okel 500.00
    GF - Dustie George 894.00
    GF - Dylan Edens 300.00
    GF - Honey Pets Haven Rescue 466.00
    GF - Justice Van Allen 391.25
    GF - Molly Elkins 105.00
    GF - Mya Critter Connection 1,320.00
    GF - Nakita Speciale 0.00
    GF - Shy Guy Aguilar 1,000.00
    GF - Star Marcotullio 293.26
    GF - Tucker Van Allen 226.14

OH WOW. If the people at Shea's bake sale come through, she'll have it...I am sure they will do more than buy cookies when they know the scoop!

All it would take is one wonderful person coming by the stall..

Fingers crossed - I just hope they can get Shy Guy in for surgery ASAP after the money is raised!