More foods just added to the endless recall list, via Itchmo:

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Kitten Formula cans
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Puppy Formula cans
    Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula cans
    Natural Balance Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Natural Balance Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Natural Balance Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Natural Balance Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz

See posts #7 and #19 below for more additions to the list.
    Last edited by Prairie Purrs; 04-27-2007 at 12:39 PM.

I was about to post this too!

Natural Balance
    Chicken Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Lamb Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Beef Formula Canned Dog Food 13 oz
    Ocean Fish Formula Canned Cat Food 3 oz & 6 oz

Diamond Brand Manufacturer/Foods
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Kitten Formula cans
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Puppy Formula cans
    Diamond Lamb & Rice Formula cans

Costco's brand
    Kirkland Signature Super Premium Chicken and Rice Canned food for Dogs
    Kirkland Signature Super Premium Lamb and Rice Canned food for Dogs

Chenango Valley

Lick Your Chops Lamb Meal, Rice & Egg Cat Food in packages with a net weight of 4 lbs. and a code date best used by April 29, 2008.

Owned by Booboo, Magic, and Shadow
    RIP my precious Panther, BooBoo, and Shadow. Mommy misses you!
    ------------------

I don't use any of these foods but this is horrible. When will it end?

I'm very worried that Starr's Hills Prescription food will end up being next because the first ingredient is rice protein. He's on the feline dry Z/D diet and he's been doing very well on it. If this happens I don't know what I'll do.

I'd like to see it end with some people in prison. I'd also like to see a regulatory agency with some teeth put in place to oversee the food supply.

Are there any safe foods?

Right now, I am not sure what to feeds my furbabies anymore.

Aren't you glad I feed raw Penny? This is horrific, I feel so badly for so many owners and their pets. Such devastion brought by the almighty dollar
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

Now Blue Buffalo has recalled all their canned food and treats:

All Blue brand can dog foods
    All Spa Select brand can cat foods
    All Blue Health Bar treats

Again via Itchmo, which is really staying on top of the recall news.

KAK, as far as I know, Hills Prescription Z/D is (still) okay. However, here's a perhaps cautionary tale.. last week a local vet called our cat shelter and told us that a cat patient of hers that had just been started on Z/D went into kidney failure.

I don't know if this means that Z/D might be contaminated also or if it was a reaction of this one cat due to other factors. The Hills company has not recalled it, and we have heard of no other incidents anywhere involving Z/D.

However, we aren't taking chances. One of our cats has been on Z/D (both dry and wet) for a long time and has done well with it, but we immediately took her off it and got rid of all our Z/D. She is now getting Royal Canin SO until we know more. Some of the other cats have been getting SO for a while, and while some Royal Canin products have been recalled, SO is still supposedly okay. (And how many times have we thought that about how many foods?)

KAK, I apologize for being the bearer of such alarming news, but you might want to run this by Starr's vet. This was just one vet here talking about one cat, but I guess we should all be on the alert.

My own cats are finishing up the food we have here, which none of them seems to have had trouble with, but after it's gone I don't know what I'll get them.

The itchko and AVMA sites look like good resources to check regularly.

Best wishes to KAK and all of us for keeping all our babies healthy.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz
    I don't use any of these foods but this is horrible. When will it end?

I'm very worried that Starr's Hills Prescription food will end up being next because the first ingredient is rice protein. He's on the feline dry Z/D diet and he's been doing very well on it. If this happens I don't know what I'll do.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

[QUOTE=phesina]KAK, as far as I know, Hills Prescription Z/D is (still) okay. However, here's a perhaps cautionary tale.. last week a local vet called our cat shelter and told us that a cat patient of hers that had just been started on Z/D went into kidney failure.

I don't know if this means that Z/D might be contaminated also or if it was a reaction of this one cat due to other factors. The Hills company has not recalled it, and we have heard of no other incidents anywhere involving Z/D.

However, we aren't taking chances. One of our cats has been on Z/D (both dry and wet) for a long time and has done well with it, but we immediately took her off it and got rid of all our Z/D. She is now getting Royal Canin SO until we know more. Some of the other cats have been getting SO for a while, and while some Royal Canin products have been recalled, SO is still supposedly okay. (And how many times have we thought that about how many foods?)

Thanks for letting me know about this. Starr saw the vet on Sunday and so far the Hills Z/D is safe.

Here's what I saw on Hill's Website:
    April 18 - Update: Hill's products not affected by rice protein concentrate recall.
    On April 17 the FDA announced a further pet food recall associated with melamine contaminant, reportedly from a supplier of rice protein concentrate. No Hill's products are affected by this recall.

While Hill's uses rice protein concentrate in 4 of its products, we do not use the supplier involved with the recall.

Hill's has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is present in the rice protein concentrate that it uses.

Q. Do any Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. products contain rice protein concentrate?
    A. Yes. Four Hill's products contain rice protein concentrate; however, none contain rice protein concentrate from the supplier associated with this recent recall.

The four Hill's products that contain rice protein concentrate AND ARE NOT affected by recent recall announcements:

Prescription Diet ® z/d® Feline Dry
    Prescription Diet ® k/d® Canine canned
    Science Diet® Lamb Meal and Rice Recipe Puppy Large Breed
    Prescription Diet® h/d® Canine Dry
    Hill's has tested its ingredients and these tests show no melamine is present in the rice protein concentrate used in our products.

Q. How do you know Hill's rice protein concentrate is safe?
    A. Upon immediately learning about the presence of melamine in another supplier's rice protein concentrate, we tested our ingredients and have confirmed that the rice protein concentrate ingredient from Hill's suppliers do not contain melamine.

Q. Where does Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc. get its rice protein concentrate?
    A. Hill's uses two suppliers, neither of which are involved in this rice protein concentrate recall.

Q. What is rice protein concentrate, and why is it used in pet food?
    A. Rice protein concentrate is the product remaining after starch has been washed away from rice. It is a commonly used protein ingredient in various pet food products.

Right now I'm feeding 3 of my cats Felidae Chicken & Rice dry and wet food, 2 of my cats Royal Canin Urinary S/O dry and wet, and 1 Hills Presciption Z/D dry food. So far so good and I hope it stays that way.

Don't know if anyone has already posted this most recent recall or not.

AVMA food recall breaking news

Breaking news
    April 30, 2007 (updated 10:00 am CDT)
    Additional recalls issued for Blue Buffalo, Canine Caviar, Harmony Farms, Kirkland, Mulligan Stew, and Natural Balance

The Denver office of the FDA informed American Nutrition, Inc. that certain samples of rice protein shipped to its production facility have been contaminated with melamine, an industrial chemical used to make plastics and fertilizers that may be harmful to animals if consumed. The rice protein in question was obtained from San Francisco-based Wilbur-Ellis Company.

The FDA has urged American Nutrition to issue a voluntary recall of pet foods manufactured using Wilbur-Ellis rice protein. None of these products is sold under an American Nutrition brand, but are sold through other independent companies. No American Nutrition brands or other products they manufacture for other businesses are affected by this recall.

The products subject to this recall are as follows:

CANNED CAT FOOD
    Blue Buffalo Spa Select Hairball Control Oven Roasted Chicken 3oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Blue Buffalo Spa Select Kitten Recipe Oven Roasted Chicken 3oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Kitten Formula 5.5oz 15 AUG 08 15 APR 09
    Harmony Farms Country Chicken Entrée 3oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Natural Balance Ocean Fish Formula 3oz and 6 oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10

CANNED DOG FOOD
    Blue Buffalo Beef Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Blue Buffalo Chicken Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Blue Buffalo Hearty Venison Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Blue Buffalo Lamb Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Blue Buffalo Salmon Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Blue Buffalo Turkey Meatloaf Dinner 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Canine Caviar Gourmet Beaver 13.2oz AUG 21 08 APR 15 09
    Canine Caviar Gourmet Turkey 13.2oz AUG 21 08 APR 15 09
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul Puppy Formula 13oz 21 AUG 08 15 APR 09
    Diamond Lamb & Rice 13oz 21 AUG 09 15 APR 10
    Harmony Farms Beef 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Harmony Farms Chicken 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Harmony Farms Lamb 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Harmony Farms Salmon 12.5oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Kirkland Signature Premium Dog 2-Flavor Variety Pack 14oz (24-pack) AUG 21 08 APR 15 09
    Mulligan Stew Chicken 13.2oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Mulligan Stew Turkey 13.2oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Natural Balance Beef Formula 13oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Natural Balance Chicken Formula 13oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Natural Balance Lamb Formula 13oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10
    Natural Balance Venison & Brown Rice 13oz AUG 21 09 APR 15 10

BAKED DOG TREATS
    Natural Balance Venison & Brown Rice Formula Baked Dog Treats 14oz AUG 21 07 APR 15 08
    Blue Buffalo Health Bars Baked With Apples & Yogurt Dog Treats 20oz AUG 21 07 APR 15 08

Pet owners who purchased these pet foods should immediately discontinue using the products and return unused portions to the place of purchase for a full refund.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

How sad. And frustrating.

I am still feeding Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover (and dog Lover for Sugar). I only feed the kibble, not the canned. Their web site says they manufacture all their own dry pet foods. So it should be staying out of this recall mania.

Here is their web site:

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggg ggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    How sad. And frustrating.

I am still feeding Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover (and dog Lover for Sugar). I only feed the kibble, not the canned. Their web site says they manufacture all their own dry pet foods. So it should be staying out of this recall mania.

Here is their web site:

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/
    I recently switched to Chicken Soup dry, but white rice is listed as an ingredient. Because of the piecemeal way in which companies have been recalling products, I'm going to find something else.

Add Harmony Farms to the recall:

All Harmony Farms canned dog foods
    All Harmony Farms canned cat foods
    All Harmony Farms Health Bar biscuits

Sounds like anyone that uses American Nutrition, Inc. as a manufacturer will/should be recalling their canned food because ANI was supposedly adding rice protein concentrate to foods without authorization.

I recommend that everyone check Itchmo several times a day. The news media seems to have lost interest in keeping everyone up to date.