Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vick INDICTED!

Hybrid View

Animal fighting affects people also

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    --snipped for space--
    From the Hartford Courant:
    Because I am the owner, I also believe I have the option to do anything I want with them - even kill them, like animal shelters do everyday.
    Jon F. Connors Sr.
    Colchester, CT
    What he doesn't understand (obviously) is that animal fighting is more than just a cruelty to animals issue - it is a people issue also. My rescue is part of an alliance of animal rescues and shelters in the area. We recently sent out a press release about this very issue and how it relates to the people in the community. If your interested in reading it - here is the link:

http://aawny.org/index.php?option=co...ask=view&id=29

CA PT meetup? :D

Minor League Baseball Teams Joins Protest Over Vick.

http://itchmo.com/read/minor-league-...0724#more-1836

The Long Beach Armada, a Golden Baseball League team, is taking part of the fight against Michael Vick.

This Sunday, July 29, the team will be hosting the first ever Michael Vick Awareness Day. Baseball fans are invited to bring their dogs to the game and sit and watch in a special section.

Also, the Long Beach Armada will destroy all Michael Vick jerseys in protest to the inhumane treatment of animals. Any fan who trades in a Michael Vick t-shirt or jersey at the box office will receive free admission to the game and a donation in their name will be made to Justin Rudd’s Community Action Team ( C.A.T.), a 501c3 nonprofit that provides educational outreach and events to help inspire a better understanding of dogs, encourage responsible ownership practices, and offer practical adoption and rescue opportunities.

From press release:

Special events to celebrate “man’s (woman’s) best friend” are being planned for fans and their pets attending the game, including a ceremonial doggie first pitch, doggie beauty contest, skate-boarding bulldogs, wiener dog races, doggie washes, and more. The Armada will have a special entrance for doggies and their owners. In addition to being on a leash, dogs must have their vaccinations current and dog owners must sign a waiver of liability prior to entering Blair Field. In the interest of safety for both fans and dogs, any dog that becomes aggressive will be asked to leave. Dogs will be allowed to visit a designated comfort area throughout the game.

“Armada players, coaches, and staff spend every day working in the professional sports world and many of us are also devoted dog owners. We feel as sports professionals it is necessary to bring awareness to animal abuse, particularly the intolerable injustices associated with dog fighting,” commented Armada President and General Manager Steven Bash. “We hope the entire community of Long Beach comes out to help support the Armada, our partners, and this important event

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.longbeacharmada.com/ArDis...3425&SecID=306

Dog Days Of Summer: Armada Host "Michael Vick Animal Awareness Day"
    Fans Invited To Bring Canine Friends; Join in Michael Vick Jersey Bonfire

LONG BEACH, CA - The Long Beach Armada of Los Angeles of California of the United States of North America including Barrow, Alaska have announced that on Sunday, July 29, 2007 at 2:05pm the Armada will host the first ever "Michael Vick Animal Awareness Day." On the heels of Michael Vick's indictment, baseball fans and their four-legged friends are invited to bring their pooch and sit in a special section at Blair Field.

Reminiscent of the infamous Disco Demolition over 25 years ago (without the attendant stampede and chaos), the Armada will destroy all Michael Vick jerseys in protest to the inhumane treatment of animals. Any fan who trades in a Michael Vick t-shirt or jersey at the box office will receive free admission to the game and a donation in their name will be made to Justin Rudd's Community Action Team ( C.A.T.), a 501c3 nonprofit that provides educational outreach and events to help inspire a better understanding of dogs, encourage responsible ownership practices, and offer practical adoption and rescue opportunities.

Operation Santa Paws will be on hand to collect donations for abused and abandoned animals currently in shelters and rescues. Fans who bring in pet toys, treats, and/or cleaning supplies will receive a free ticket to a future Armada game courtesy of Operation Santa Paws and the Long Beach Armada. For more information on donations, log on to www.santapaws.info or www.hautedogs.org.

Special events to celebrate "man's (woman's) best friend" are being planned for fans and their pets attending the game, including a ceremonial doggie first pitch, doggie beauty contest, skate-boarding bulldogs, wiener dog races, doggie washes, and more. The Armada will have a special entrance for doggies and their owners. In addition to being on a leash, dogs must have their vaccinations current and dog owners must sign a waiver of liability prior to entering Blair Field. In the interest of safety for both fans and dogs, any dog that becomes aggressive will be asked to leave. Dogs will be allowed to visit a designated comfort area throughout the game.

"Armada players, coaches, and staff spend every day working in the professional sports world and many of us are also devoted dog owners. We feel as sports professionals it is necessary to bring awareness to animal abuse, particularly the intolerable injustices associated with dog fighting," commented Armada President and General Manager Steven Bash. "We hope the entire community of Long Beach comes out to help support the Armada, our partners, and this important event."

Season ticket holders and fans who purchase tickets through the Armada corporate office or participating sponsors will be able to receive a free DOGGIE admission ticket for their canine companion. Free voucher coupons or other complimentary tickets are not eligible for DOGGIE tickets.

For tickets and other event information, contact the Armada ticket office at (562) 434-7161 or visit www.longbeacharmada.com. For more information on DOGGIE ticket eligibility, sponsorship of this event, or other participation in this event, please contact sbash*AT*goldenbaseball*DOT*com .

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Whom ever posted the link to this... this is GREAT!!!!

Crow, that's great that they are doing that!

Vick needs to be put in a fighting pit.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Michael Vick Animal Awareness Day

Reminiscent of the infamous Disco Demolition over 25 years ago (without the attendant stampede and chaos)
    I wonder if Steve Dahl (the radio personality behind the July '79 Disco Demolition) is a dog person? He's still on the radio in Chicago. I'll have to listen to his show and see if he has anything to say about this whole thing. The White Sox had a double-header yesterday ... had Vick been there during the intermission they could have re-enacted the Disco Demolition -- using him as a disco record.

Crow_noir, what is Santa Paws? The article says they will receive donations of dog toys from people who bring them to the game that day. Sounds like something good will come out of this.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

LIke, Why do they have to make it "MV awareness day"?

The AH gets enough attention as it is!

I didn't know any more than you do.

Here's what i found looking it up on GoodSearch. http://www.santapaws.info/

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    Crow_noir, what is Santa Paws? The article says they will receive donations of dog toys from people who bring them to the game that day. Sounds like something good will come out of this.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

This just in from CNN:
    -- NFL star Michael Vick will plead guilty to federal conspiracy charges involving illegal dogfighting, one of his attorneys confirms to CNN.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

Latest from CNN.com:

-- Michael Vick admits funding a dogfighting operation and that "collective efforts" by him and two others caused the deaths of at least six dogs, his plea agreement states.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

The link in the original post "can not be found"

facebook

Vick sent to Kansas prison camp

I think it's wrong that he gets out early if he completes drug rehab. He should do all the time.

Vick Finishing 23-Month Term in Kansas
    By KRISTEN GELINEAU | Associated Press Writer
    3:51 PM CST, January 7, 2008

RICHMOND, Va. - Michael Vick left Virginia on Monday and was transferred to a Kansas prison to serve the rest of his 23-month sentence on a federal dogfighting charge. The suspended Atlanta Falcons quarterback is at the federal prison camp in Leavenworth, Kan., said Traci Billingsley, a spokeswoman for the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Vick plans to enter a drug treatment program at Leavenworth, and a successful completion of the program may allow him to be released after serving 12 months, Yahoo! Sports reported.

Billingsley said federal prison records wouldn't immediately show if an inmate was accepted into such a program.

Vick was accompanied by U.S. marshals when he left the Northern Neck Regional Jail on Monday morning, said Maj. Ted Hull of the Warsaw, Va., jail.

Messages left with Billy Martin, Vick's lead attorney, were not immediately returned.

Vick and three co-defendants raised pit bulls and trained them for fighting behind the property he owned in rural Surry County. Several dogs that did not perform well in test fights were executed.

The 27-year-old player pleaded guilty in August, admitting he bankrolled the dogfighting operation and helped kill six to eight dogs. He had been held at the Warsaw jail since he surrendered Nov. 19 in anticipation of his sentence.

Vick was suspended without pay by the NFL, lost all his lucrative endorsement deals and has additional legal woes: He and co-defendants Purnell Peace, Quanis Phillips and Tony Taylor are facing state animal cruelty charges in Surry County. Vick's trial is set for April 2.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

I think it's wrong that he gets out early if he completes drug rehab. He should do all the time.
    I disagree. He has been convicted and sentenced in accordance with the law of the land. The rules for him should be the same as anyone else. If the program is available for some prisoners, it should be available for all.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human
    I disagree. He has been convicted and sentenced in accordance with the law of the land. The rules for him should be the same as anyone else. If the program is available for some prisoners, it should be available for all.

Hello. He wasn't convicted on a drug offense. It was more serious than that.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud
    He wasn't convicted on a drug offense.
    LH, that's what I am thinking too. The offense for which he was convicted was not related to drugs, so I don't think he should be entitled to early release on an unrelated charge just for completing a drug rehab program. Which makes me wonder, too, how was he able to continue as a successful NFL player if he had a substance use problem? He's young, and I have to ask if "the bigger they are, the harder they fall" might factor in with him too.

The reason the drug rehab is available is because many crimes are related to drug use. The program has nothing to do with Vick's conviction being a drug related offense or not. The though is that if you can eliminate the drug use, you can have a more stable ex-con.

Vick has had several brushes related to drug paraphernalia, but has never tested hot by the NFL. Prior to going to prison, however, he tested positive for marijuana use.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.