Thread: Yeast build up?

Yeast build up?

Ok guys once again I wonder about my neighbors vet. The dogs have been getting brewers yeast and garlic for about a year now (2 tabs a day )( rottie and a g.shep) The vet now is telling her that they should not have them as it builds up in the system . I have never heard such a thing, Storme my neighbor asked me to ask all of you about it. The reason she was giving it to them was to stop the brown piddle spots in her yard.
    Ok guys let me know all you know about it. Thanks Also Merlin finally got down to his ideal weight only took 6 months.

You should not feed onions or garlic to your dog. Onions and garlic (raw, cooked, or powder) Contain sulfoxides and disulfides, which can damage red blood cells and cause anemia. Cats are more susceptible than dogs. Garlic is less toxic than onions.

I do not know why you would not want to use Brewers Yeast. It is an excellent source of biotin. Biotin is a B complex vitamin and is one of the most discussed of all vitamins, primarily because of its role in maintaining healthy skin and hair. It does much more than this, as it is necessary for growth, digestion, and muscle function.

Biotin is found in grains, but is not always of a usable quantity. Beef liver supplies the richest source, with brewers yeast being next highest. Biotin supplements are also available. Biotin toxicity is rare to nonexistent.

Wow, I wasn't aware of the onion and garlic thing. Thanks for the info!

Brewers Yeast is a very good supplement. However moderation is the key.

Generally speaking, if you are feeding a quality premium food, the yeast is already included. This should be adequate enough to provide the necessary nutrients.

If you feed raw, then supplement weekly, 2-weeks, monthly, or however your vet recommends.

If the dog is active and healthy, then you're doing everything right.