Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Husky Fur?

Husky Fur?

I've always read that Huskies are some of the most notorious shedders there are. If that's true then Koli is a darn good lier.

I was wondering, are anyone else's northern breeds shedding yet? I realize that latitude and altitude can play a huge factor into dogs shedding, but i figured it *should* have started by now. I haven't even seen any normal shed from her yet let alone "the" shed.

I mean... theres practically nothing for me to brush out.

I swear I've had more dog hair come off onto me after rough housing with Standard Poodles!!!

The only time i had to actually brush Koli or actually got any fluff off of her is when she was rescued from the pound back in Oct.

Is this odd?

(Sorry, I'm still used to a healthy triple coated Shepherd that was constantly shedding and had explosions of fluff twice a year that would fill the house and a 50x50 yard. I'm used to daily tumbleweeds no matter how often one vacuums. I was told that Huskies shed twice as bad as a GSD. I now believe that Huskies shed 1/8 as much as GSDs.)

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Give her time. She'll shed great handfuls of fur, enough to knit with(I have hats ect made from my dogs fur) None of mine are shedding yet. Some of them will hold their winter coats until it's almost time to grow a new one. Franklin rarely sheds before September.

If she's an indoor dog in a fairly mild climate, the shed will be less than a husky in a colder place.

Paxil after half a brushing(couple years ago)!

All this from one side of a dog who's spent every night since she arrived here within 3 feet of a woodstove!

That's what i was thinking, but i thought they were supposed to shed twice a year.

OMG i LOVE those pics of Paxil!!! SO beautiful... Reminds me of Kingy. I so want to come and pet her. And yes, that pile of fluff looks so familiar!... and as you said... that's only one brushing, one side! (Except King's pile was almost all white.)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    Give her time. She'll shed great handfuls of fur, enough to knit with(I have hats ect made from my dogs fur) None of mine are shedding yet. Some of them will hold their winter coats until it's almost time to grow a new one. Franklin rarely sheds before September.

If she's an indoor dog in a fairly mild climate, the shed will be less than a husky in a colder place.

Let nature guide your actions and you will never have to worry if you did the right thing. ~ crow_noir

The pet world excels where the human world is lacking; sterilization and adoption. ~ crow_noir

Please, if your dog is arthritic look into getting it Elk Velvet Antler. Look up my posts on it, PM me, or look it up on a search engine; but please if you love your dog and want it to live many more years consider this option. I've seen so many posts on here about dogs needlessly suffering. I can't make a new post about EVA every time so this plea is going here. EVA also helps with other ailments such as anemia.

Is Koli a mix? our Malamute sheds all year round, but is shedding a ton more now that spring/summer has come. we have to "rake" her.

Not to forget our little foster dog Velma Dinkley!

Quote Originally Posted by xVelvet_FuzzButtx
    Is Koli a mix?
    NO idea. She was just a stray.

It's pretty much been agreed upon that she is no less than about a 70 % chance a full Husky.

possibly some Malamute. Tinier possibility a Border Collie. Someone even suggested American Eskimo.

---

On a separate note i have finally noticed the tiniest hint of shedding beginning... this was with a bath and major brushing though... I don't know what dog doesn't shed after being bathed.

They shed A LOT! My mom's friend use to have a husky and she shed so much all the time. She kept her in the house so her hous ewas always covered with dog hair!

We use to have an alaskan malamute. She shed really bad too. She was an outside dog though so it wasn't as bad really. But, I'm sure she'll start shedding soon!!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

pretty much to sum up your question, is YES.. Huskies Shed.. ALOT!!.. I get about 6 garbage bags out of my husky every year.. I swear if i kept it all i would have a full house of fur lol. Your husky might be mixed with somthing that doesnt have much of an undercoat.. Any pics?
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I've got an 8 month old husky (i'm a first time owner of one) and she's been shedding since we got her (in december) but lately it's been a lot more.

How often should you brush a husky? I know if you groom dogs too much it can screw up their skin but.. She's sheds mad crazy.

WOW! I have NEVER heard that you can brush a dog too much. Some people will debate about bathing a dog too much.

I see nothing wrong with brushing a dog every day or every other day. I however see it as a weekly thing with most of the dogs I've had. It all really depends on what type you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou
    I've got an 8 month old husky (i'm a first time owner of one) and she's been shedding since we got her (in december) but lately it's been a lot more.

How often should you brush a husky? I know if you groom dogs too much it can screw up their skin but.. She's sheds mad crazy.

Link to her foster thread... http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=116703

There's a pic of her down near the bottom. There are also other links that will lead you to her other sites with more pictures. Your best bet is the care2 site.

Quote Originally Posted by tikeyas_mom
    pretty much to sum up your question, is YES.. Huskies Shed.. ALOT!!.. I get about 6 garbage bags out of my husky every year.. I swear if i kept it all i would have a full house of fur lol. Your husky might be mixed with somthing that doesnt have much of an undercoat.. Any pics?
    As for the shedding... Nope, still not doing it. False alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by crow_noir
    WOW! I have NEVER heard that you can brush a dog too much. Some people will debate about bathing a dog too much.

I see nothing wrong with brushing a dog every day or every other day. I however see it as a weekly thing with most of the dogs I've had. It all really depends on what type you have.
    Hmm.. Maybe I shouldn't worry about how often I brush her, then.

I'm wondering how often to bathe her, though? And what to do this summer, for when it gets really hot out.
    I should probably make a thread of my own.. Sorry!

But uh, if you really want some fur I can hook you up. Although I have to say Paxil is more hardcore [about shedding] than Mika has been, so far.

I have two siberian huskies. They get a bath and good brushing once a month. I use a high quality shampoo and make sure they are rinsed thoroughly (this is important, husky coats are not easy to rinse out which can cause problems). I also blow out their coats when drying them with a high velocity dryer. I work at a grooming salon so I have all of that available to me, which helps of course. I've heard that huskies should not be bathed more than once or twice a year but my dogs have never had a problem...their coats are soft and they do not have dandruff. The bathing helps with the shedding (they are indoor dogs). I brush them when they get their baths and usually once or twice in between that, though I don't see how it would hurt to brush more often. They don't get the really thick coats since they are mostly indoors in the winter, but it does thicken some. They definitely shed badly, Nebo hasn't started blowing his coat for summer yet, but I'm sure he will soon.

Does Mika have indoor access? If so, she should be fine in the summer. Don't leave her outside in the hot sun for long periods and make sure she has plenty of water. Do NOT shave her. The coat insulates against the heat and cold, shaving will only make her more likely to get sunburned and possibly ruin her coat. Keep her undercoat brushed out, that's all she needs. If she likes water she may enjoy a kiddie pool for her to play in.

I'd love to see some pics of her, I LOVE siberian huskies as do many other members here!

Wolf_Q, I'm going to make a thread of my own for pictures of Mika.
    Uhm.. Quick question, should I put that in a different forum-thing, since this one is about dog breeds?

Wolf_Q, I'm going to make a thread of my own for pictures of Mika.
    Uhm.. Quick question, should I put that in a different forum-thing, since this one is about dog breeds?
    Dog General is the place to post pictures and talk about your dog.

LOL... I'm half tempted to take you up on the offer of Paxil's extra fuzz! She is just so beautiful. I also think her fluff is the most wonderful color for a skien. (I think she is almost as beautiful as King )

I bathe my dogs (with shampoo) three to four times a year. I've had to bathe (just water or water and baking soda) Koli a LOT more often though... she's always getting into something. That and she's so low to the ground that if there's any moisture she sprays mud and stuff all over her belly.

An don't worry about hijacking the thread. You've actually been asking wonderful questions and are helping me learn too! Thank You.

Hmm.. Maybe I shouldn't worry about how often I brush her, then.

I'm wondering how often to bathe her, though? And what to do this summer, for when it gets really hot out.
    I should probably make a thread of my own.. Sorry!

But uh, if you really want some fur I can hook you up. Although I have to say Paxil is more hardcore [about shedding] than Mika has been, so far.