Thread: Boxer going potty too often???

Boxer going potty too often???

HI I do resuces of dogs in my area, when their owners can no longer take care of them. This lady called me up saying she had this Boxer that is I think a little over a year old. And he has a pee problem. She said he has to go at least 5 times during the daytime. Seems to her he is going all the time. She is asking me what it could be. So now before I get this dog, I need to know what I might be getting myself into. She found a home for him, and they gave him back because of this peeing problem. I can't afford to take on too many dogs that have health issues. I already have two that need that special kind of care. Thanks for any helpful advise you can give me. God bless

Francine

I had the same problem with my Archie but one course of antibiotics cleared it up

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=124574

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=124971
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Before jumping to any conclusions, have a vet check the dog. Five times a day doesn't seem like a lot. Some dogs drink a lot and it has to come out sooner or later. On the other hand, a UTI (urinary tract infection) might make a dog have to go more often. Also diabetes will cause the dog to lose the ability to hold it.

Can you get medical records or at least the name of the vet they used?

I will ask them for the records. They can't afford to take him back into the vets. That is one of the main reasons why they are trying to find him a new home. I told her to try with the Boxer rescue group first. And if they can't help her out. That I would take him on, and see what I can do. But like I said with two dogs that already need vet care. I am getting over my head. It is such a shame too, Harley is such a big sweetheart. She did say the people who adopted him, had problems with him going potty outside and then coming in and going again with in 20 min of him being outside. That is either a behavior issue, or he does have some kind of problem. He does drink quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by frawri
    HI I do resuces of dogs in my area, when their owners can no longer take care of them. This lady called me up saying she had this Boxer that is I think a little over a year old. And he has a pee problem. She said he has to go at least 5 times during the daytime. Seems to her he is going all the time. She is asking me what it could be. So now before I get this dog, I need to know what I might be getting myself into. She found a home for him, and they gave him back because of this peeing problem. I can't afford to take on too many dogs that have health issues. I already have two that need that special kind of care. Thanks for any helpful advise you can give me. God bless

Francine
    A dog going 5 times a day still seems within a normal range. If the dog is straining to go, and only does a small volume then that can indicate URT infection problems. Mine typically will go 3-4 times a day. If I take them for a walk, the number of times double as they incorporate scent marking into the routine. That could also be a factor for this dog.

As someone else suggested a trip to the Vet to measure the specific gravity of the urine (indicator of kidney function) may be worthwhile.

Eli - our 6 mo boxer - pees a lot if we're home to let him out as much as he wants... He wants to go out a lot and always pees when he's out. But if we leave for work, he's fine in his crate until we get back.. hours later. He also drinks A LOT more water than our other two. He's been to the vet and he's fine. I just think he might be normal like our Eli. Just drinks a lot and pees a lot.

Eli did seem to pee more the first week or so we had him.. and now its not as much.. but definitely more than our other two. I also figured its because he's still young.. and intact. But he's definitely peeing.. not marking. I'd say your foster dog is normal.. just like E.. he just has to go.. =)

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!