Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yard sale tips?

WOW! That's terrific!! I'm having a yard sale in May and have been working for weeks, cleaning the house and finding brand new stuff my mom packed in boxes. I'm not so emotionally attached now so it'll be easier. My neighbor, who is a pro at yard sales, saw my stuff (piled in the living room) and said I should do really well. She's going to post in the local banks and put up street signs for me and I will do a newspaper ad. (have to remember-no early birds or antiques dealers) Her hubby works for Pepsi so she's going to provide water and I'll supply soft pretzels as a come on!! I hope I make at least what you did, Kim! I'd be thrilled!!!

I've been Boooo'd!

Karen, I read on a website to also post a sign that says "Prices will be doubled before 8:00" and that keeps the early birds away!

One other thing I learned: On the expensive pieces, don't budge an inch on pricing. Once I budged from $10 down to $4 just to get rid of it, and not even 2 minutes later a guy came looking for it and was ready to spend $10! Another guy offered $5 for another $10 item. I was adamant I wasn't going to settle for less and he gave me the $10. And where you are, you should do as well.... my area is notorius for not having successful yard sales.

I also know what you mean about not being so sentimentally attached. I threw out my childhood Raggedy Ann yesterday. I have no one to pass it on to. The stuffing was feeling "crunchy" and she was stained worse than I remember. I've got to be realisitc and think if we ever move, will I want to move and extra 5 or 6 boxes of sentiment? I found a box of "sentiment" yesterday... still wrapped in the same newspaper from December 2, 1987. If its been 20 years since I last looked at it, I don't need it any more!!! LOL

PS: I made $87 yesterday. Not bad for two days' workl! Of course I spent $200 of it already on such exciting things like a car seat, cleaning supplies, food.