Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small dogs...

Well as everyone knows Mini Schnauzers, independent, fiesty, loving when they feel like it and very territorial and protective.
    Perry is somewhere between a Standard and Mini, he weighs about 26 pounds. Daisy is a true Mini, she weighs about 15 pounds.
    If I was to get another dog I think it would be a "Schnoodle" they are so sweet and cute as can be.

------------------

Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935:
    Well as everyone knows Mini Schnauzers, independent, fiesty, loving when they feel like it and very territorial and protective.
    Perry is somewhere between a Standard and Mini, he weighs about 26 pounds. Daisy is a true Mini, she weighs about 15 pounds.
    If I was to get another dog I think it would be a "Schnoodle" they are so sweet and cute as can be.
    Oh yes! Got to love those Schnauzers. Forgot about them for a minute.

------------------
    -Rottie

This topic got me thinking. I have never really had a large dog (over 45 lbs.) because the dogs I grew up as a child with were 20 lbs. or under. That's kind of what I feel comfortable with now as an adult. I am wondering how many people have sort of stuck with the same size dog over the years or completely changed their preferred size of dog as they got older. Just wondering....
    Yes, Aly, Bella's bed looks similar although she has now completely outgrown it and Andy has claimed it!

Well if Basset Houdns count, they're definitely my favorite... but they have little dog legs and big dog everything else so I am not too sure what they are! LOL but I do love Cavalier King Charles Spaniels (that was Mom's second choice of breed), and Dachshunds! I also have always loved pugs.

Pam, during the years, lots of years, we have had all sizes.
    We started with a white mini poodle named Pierre, then we had a very large Boxer named Duke, we have had two Weiner Dogs, Maggie and Hilda, then a Bassett hound named Charlie, after that we had a Rottweiler named Kate ( after Katherine Hepburn) then a Schnauzer, Kona ( after one of our favorite islands) then came Miss Daisy ( you guessed it after the movie "Driving Miss Daisy" , then came Dom Perignon ( we didn't pick that name the breeder did, we could hardly afford him let alone the champagne. So he is Perry "

------------------

Pam, the biggest dogs I've had were a yellow lab and an airedale. I was in my 30's when I had them and used to have achy arms from trying to control them. From there we went to the cockapoos, 25 - 30 lbs. (Okay, Hannah is slightly over that right now, but like the weight on my driver's license, I'm going to just leave that figure as is.) Our next dog might not be for another 8 years. By then the label "senior citizen" will be unavoidable, so it will definitely be a small dog.

to Pam:

though i've been around all sorts of dogs, i've been a big dog person my whole life. nothing better than a huge fuzzy body to cuddle up to. and i prefer the longer softer coats.

Don't forget about Sophie the wonder Papillon! Most of you who have been here for a while know about her...

Yes Sophies Daddy I will add papillons to my list of lovely small dogs. Sorry to have forgotten that wonderful breed!

Rachel, How well I understand what you are saying. Bella is a heavy little lady to lift into the tub! Next pup will be a small one too. When you get that next puppy, Rachel, it might be a good time to pick up that kitty that you have been thinking about while you are at it. They will be great friends quite easily if adopted at the same time!

[This message has been edited by Pam (edited June 20, 2001).]

Pam,

I've completely changed the size of dog I have. I went from a 90 pound boxer to a miniature poodle! I love dogs in all sizes!

------------------
    Tanya

I love chihuahuas!

[OK, folks. Here's my vote: "TOY FOX TERRIERS"....our Maggie will be 13 years old in September and she is the most loving, smart and adorable dog that anyone could or ever want. She loves to go for bike rides, lay on the deck and watch the squirrels, who, by the way, are not afraid of her. I would recommend a toy fox for everyone! Hope you decide on getting one!! Take care.QUOTE]Originally posted by TollSettFK:
    It's funny, but it seems like nobody here has any small type dogs!Well,I was thinking aobout this and had a question for everyone to answer in thier oppinion. What type of small dog breed is best?Or what is your personal favorite? [/QUOTE]

I don't really have a preference as to the size just as long as it's a hound dog thats all that matters Hannah even though shes about 25-30 pounds she still thinks shes a little lap dog. They don't realize their own size and I don't really care what their size is either

------------------

~~ My House Is Not A Home Without A Hound ~~

My favorit is the Miniture Pincher and Cairn terrier

------------------

If I could ever get over my addiction to Golden Retrievers, I would have a Wire Hair Terrier, a Papillon or a Bichon,