Thread: Australian Shepherds

Australian Shepherds

http://pages.ivillage.com/iriserskin...rlittleaussies Like the Border Collie these little Aussies are wonderful dogs. They are without question remarkable at work on just at play. I enjoyed the story about Guinness on the Dog of the Day. I have had both Border Collies and Aussies can just say either dog makes a remarkable pet, living on a farm I just simply don't know what we would ever do without them. Just having them around makes this place so much happier.
    Birdie

I haev an Australian shepard mixed with a Westladn high terrier (maybe some corgie). He is so wonderful. He has that wonderful Aussie smile. He is to cute! I love Aussie's also and plan to own some when I get older. What kind of animals do you have on your farm? I am around alot of famr animals (and exoctic animals) I love goats. I will also hopefully be starting horse back rideing lessons in a couple of weeks. I have also loved farm animal and hope to have some someday.
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

We have an Aussie mix, a Border mix, and a full Aussie. I will say that Aussies have won my heart. I had one woman tell me that she would have an Aussie over a Border any day, but didn't tell me why. Aussies are SO intelligent, which is why I love them.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Super Little Aussies

Great to hear from others who have Aussies, I have 3 now, altho they are in getting quit old they are still active and especially wonderful dogs. My daughter who lives in VA. has 5 Aussies and they've won many awards. They to are herding dogs, working with sheep. Since mine or now old I no longer work them with the cattle but they continue to follow us about and carefully watch after the horses, which they especially love.
    Birdie

To Aspen & Misty

Great to know you love all kinds of farm animals, here we have both cattle and horses. My Aussies especially love our horses! We also have 2 donkeys which they are very carefull when around them, for donkeys can get quit a bad attiuded sometime! The donkey's have been know to kick both at the Aussies and the other horses. Our male dog Dinkum, walks way around them, keeping his eye on them at all times. Dinkum is a super little guy, who loves to smile. Please check out my web page and you will see him. Dinkum my smiling Aussie...
    Birdie

When Chewy gets older I plan on doing herding and Agility with him. He already trys to herd our 5 cats and our older dog Teddy who is a sheltie who then trys to herd him back. It is a sight to see them herding each other. LOL. I love that Aussie Smile!
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Birdie4U--I wanted to check out your Aussie but the link didn't work for me. Is there another I could use??

We've got an Aussie, too! Eli is a male black tri, and he'll be two next month. He's such a joy in our lives: his intelligence, affection, and humor are totally irresistible! He's not a ranch worker, but he does have a "job"--he's the frisbee dog of our area! People follow us out to the park in the evenings to watch him catch the discs, and he loves the attention. We're completely hooked on Aussies and would get another in a heartbeat!

Eli is the black dog in the album photos below; just click on the link...

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

Hope this will work

Opening page then go to Super Little Aussies Please try this I certainly hope it'll work for you. I have my Aussies all though the site. I have had Aussies now for many years and I don't need to tell you how wonderful they are. Two of mind or black-tris and one red-tri which is Dinkum. My old blue merle is on the site as well, she passed away some time back and I still miss her. Your black tri is so pretty.
    Birdie

The snow is super and the Aussie is so pretty.

Originally posted by kobieeli
    Birdie4U--I wanted to check out your Aussie but the link didn't work for me. Is there another I could use??

We've got an Aussie, too! Eli is a male black tri, and he'll be two next month. He's such a joy in our lives: his intelligence, affection, and humor are totally irresistible! He's not a ranch worker, but he does have a "job"--he's the frisbee dog of our area! People follow us out to the park in the evenings to watch him catch the discs, and he loves the attention. We're completely hooked on Aussies and would get another in a heartbeat!

Eli is the black dog in the album photos below; just click on the link...
    Birdie

Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
    When Chewy gets older I plan on doing herding and Agility with him. He already trys to herd our 5 cats and our older dog Teddy who is a sheltie who then trys to herd him back. It is a sight to see them herding each other. LOL. I love that Aussie Smile!
    > My Aussies often herd one another around, even now that they are old they still love playing with one another. Sheltie and Aussies begin herding dogs, they really mush love to play with each other. On my site I have a story about Dinkum bathing the neighbor's kitten, really funny!!! He'd put the kitten into the cattle trough and take him back out several times over, licking the kitten clean.
    Birdie

To Kobieel

Just wanted you to know since I notice you're from CA. that the Aussie began in America there. It's history here in the states starts out in CA. The sire to my dog Dinkum name was CA. Dude he was a National Grand Champion, blue merle. I have the book listed on my site on the history of the Australian Shepherds. Like everyone I know who has them for what ever reason they always have more than one. > My good friend who's husband died this year has the sisiter to Dinkum, a blue-merle and a pup from my daughter, a black-tri. They have been her support thru out this year. Remarkable dogs, Aussies! Please let me know if you continue to have prombles with the link. It was great to see your Aussie, begin from Florida it's good to see snow too!!! It's so hot here!!! I know my Aussies would enjoy the snow as well.
    Birdie

Birdie, your website is lovely!! I tried the link again and it worked; I just finished reading through all of your beautiful stories and looking at those gorgeous photos. Your Aussies, past and present, are such a joy to see! Your love for them, and for all the life on your farm, is so obvious in your writings.

You're right about how amazing these dogs are--we can't believe we went without one for so long! Even Kobie, our cranky Australian Cattle Dog/Husky mix, is rather smitten with Eli now. ) My hubby bought me Jean Joy Hartnagle's book "All About Aussies" and I've read it cover-to-cover, so I did learn that the breed developed out here in the West, although in our area of central California most of the sheep ranchers seem to have Border Collies instead of Aussies. Still, when we run across other Aussie owners we strike up instant friendships! We all just love to yap about our awesome dogs!

-Amber

The hairy kids' photo album

Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.
    -Pythagoras

Originally posted by kobieeli
    Birdie, your website is lovely!! I tried the link again and it worked; I just finished reading through all of your beautiful stories and looking at those gorgeous photos. Your Aussies, past and present, are such a joy to see! Your love for them, and for all the life on your farm, is so obvious in your writings.

You're right about how amazing these dogs are--we can't believe we went without one for so long! Even Kobie, our cranky Australian Cattle Dog/Husky mix, is rather smitten with Eli now. ) My hubby bought me Jean Joy Hartnagle's book "All About Aussies" and I've read it cover-to-cover, so I did learn that the breed developed out here in the West, although in our area of central California most of the sheep ranchers seem to have Border Collies instead of Aussies. Still, when we run across other Aussie owners we strike up instant friendships! We all just love to yap about our awesome dogs!

-Amber
    Thank You about the website, for it's really hard to put into words just how much my Aussies mean to us. I know they are super companions to all who, share a home with them. As I can tell your Eli means alot to you. Eli is a beautiful black tri aussie and the personality comes through in the pictures you have. Hard not to be proud of them!
    Birdie

Originally posted by mugsy
    We have an Aussie mix, a Border mix, and a full Aussie. I will say that Aussies have won my heart. I had one woman tell me that she would have an Aussie over a Border any day, but didn't tell me why. Aussies are SO intelligent, which is why I love them.
    Both the Aussie and the Border Collie are intelligent, of course they're close in breed. I've had both, I find the Aussie to be more personal or closer in some ways, as mind or never more than a few feet behind me all day. Often setting on top of you, when inside as well! Their love for play even into old age is equally a joy to see!Maybe that is why she likes the Aussie over the Border Collie! I know you must really enjoy both. To be honest I think the Aussie is close to the English Border Collie as both their ears turn down, unlike the American Border who's ears or up right. Both or stocker in build as well. I think either or super dogs. It's blue eyes and the way they smile, maybe!!!
    Birdie