Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Much Ado About Imus ?

Isn't "Political Correctness" fun?

Yes, Imus is a doofus for saying what he said, he should certainly know better than that. Further, he was REALLY dumb for going on Sharpton's show. Talk about going into the Lion's den. I wonder what he hoped to accomplish there?

But, (there always is one, eh?) come on people.... Is this really that big a deal? I can only imagine the smile that went across Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson's face when they heard this. Another opportunity to get their face's in front of a camera and scream bloody murder. People of color, can't you see that people like them only keep you "down"? They KEEP the color of our skin a issue because it benefits them. Can anybody else see the insanity of that?

As for the term "Nappy" and/or "Nappy Headed"... In the Army, in the field, you hear those terms 50 times a day, across races. Why? Because after a week of fun in the sun with no showers you were, well, NAPPY. LOL (Short, but unshaven heads...sweat, dirt, wearing a helmet 20 hours a day....)

Does anybody else find it strange that a group of people can claim ownership of the use of certain words?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I have never watched or heard Imus before. One night years ago I tuned in Larry King and he was filling in for him. I changed the channel. I find so many people on TV, and on the radio, insulting that to me it seemed like just another jerk shooting off his mouth. I personally just don't watch or listen to them. (Side note: I have no idea why people find Howard Stern appealing. )

I am more offended by the fact that he called them *Ho's* (sp?) That reflects on someone's character. Whether or not they were nappyheaded, though it was a statement meant to inflame, doesn't bother me at all. I think it is a women's issue more than a racial issue. JMHO How about Big Mouth Rosie O'Donnell making comments about The Donald's hair? That all quickly went by the wayside. I feel that if a big thing is made out of something it extends the life of the event. This event with Imus is getting way too much attention. People like him and others who just want to inflame and incite will always have their listeners. We all have a button we can use to turn them off. That's what I would do. Though my hubby thought it a nasty thing to say, his first comment was "what happened to free speech?"
    Are you reading my mind? gEt out of there.... you never know what you might find lol. Seriously though I was just going to say the same thing.... the only thing that gave his words any power was the publicity it got. If they ahd just ignored it and let it fall by the wayside it wouldn't have been a big deal. people just want to complain these days and that is what this story is really all about. Sure he said some things that maybe he shouldn't have..... but I think we have all said some things that we later thought "DOH I shouldn't have said that" but it didn't become the top news story for a week. The press gave his words power.... otherwise it would have amounted to nothing.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

I have never liked Imus. I think the standards for the air waves need to be higher, and that he is one of many who push the standard lower and lower.

As for this particular event? To me, it is just more Imus. Glad this one finally did get him off TV.

Much Ado About Imus?

Thank you Freedom.. Took the words out of my mouth.. I never liked him & didnt even know his name until now..
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    I have never liked Imus. I think the standards for the air waves need to be higher, and that he is one of many who push the standard lower and lower.

As for this particular event? To me, it is just more Imus. Glad this one finally did get him off TV.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002
    Thank you Freedom.. Took the words out of my mouth.. I never liked him & didnt even know his name until now..
    Not to nitpick... But how can you dislike somebody you admittedly don't even know?

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Here come the thought police... You had to know this was coming.

Al Sharpton.. "'It is our feeling that this is only the beginning. We must have a broad discussion on what is permitted and not permitted in terms the airwaves..."

R.I.P Freedom of Speech.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Much Ado About Imus?

Because I have tried to watch his show & listen to him many of times.. He made me puck of his comments then & now.. However I never knew his name..
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31
    Not to nitpick... But how can you dislike somebody you admittedly don't even know?

<Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Because I have tried to watch his show & listen to him many of times.. He made me puck of his comments then & now.. However I never knew his name..
    Good Answer... Thank you! LOL

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Much Ado About Imus?

At Least Howard Stern would do something weird or way out in left field to keep your attention.. This guy was just like uukk..
    Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31
    Good Answer... Thank you! LOL

At Least Howard Stern would do something weird or way out in left field to keep your attention.. This guy was just like uukk..

LOL I never really understood the hate on Howard Stern has for American Idol lol. he is DETERMINED to bring that show down hahaha.... isn't it kind of sad that he has such a hate on for a show that is basically mostly geared towards teenagers..... BTW< I do watch AI but I will always be young at heart hahahaha and that is my story and I'm sticking to it.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

11. Quote Originally Posted by Pam
    I I find so many people on TV, and on the radio, insulting that to me it seemed like just another jerk shooting off his mouth. I personally just don't watch or listen to them.
    Bill O'Reilly is another of those....insulting, inaccurate...but I agree with you Pam...just turn him off.

But...just to clarify "free speech"...that means the government cannot take action against you. It does not mean your employer...or the public (as in not listening) cannot take action. An employee who says bad things about his/her employer or things the employer does not find acceptable...can be fired....just not go to jail.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    But...just to clarify "free speech"...that means the government cannot take action against you. It does not mean your employer...or the public (as in not listening) cannot take action. An employee who says bad things about his/her employer or things the employer does not find acceptable...can be fired....just not go to jail.
    100% Agree.

My fear with what the Rev. Sharpton said is, well, what exactly does he mean by "...what should be allowed to be said...". How exactly does he propose to regulate such things?

Scary stuff if you ask me. We all should want MORE voices on the airwaves, not less. If what a person says is offensive to you, turn it off OR offer a countering view point.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2
    What Don Imus did was wrong, but it he said it to a beat with a heavy base he would probably have a hit single on his hands now.

I think this is not only funny, but it's true. It's the double standard that
    seems to apply here is upsetting & puzzling.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary
    Agree Sara. (Gosh I am agreeing with you much too often these days. What happened? ) In this case, though, I believe that the employer may just be caving into pressure to appear politically correct and to do *the right thing.* Too much of a firestorm has erupted around this hot potato. It is amazing what some can get away with while others cannot. I guess it all depends on just who one is offending.

The "double standard" argument doesn't make much sense to me. It seems to come down to "other people behave badly, so it's OK for Imus to behave badly."

The claim that Sharpton and other black leaders don't speak out against rap lyrics that denigrate women and promote violence is a strawman. They have certainly done so.

The fact that other people--whether black, white, or purple--use racist and sexist language does not make what Imus did excusable. If a defendant is accused of murder, he (or she) won't be able to win acquittal by arguing that other people have gotten away with murder, so what's the big deal?

This is someone who attempts to play a role in national political discourse by interviewing political figures on his show. And it's hardly the first time that he's indulged in racist and sexist commentary--in fact, it's his stock in trade. He's free to speak his mind--and his bosses are free to speak theirs by firing him, and I hope they do so.