Thread: Canon Powershot S3 IS

Canon Powershot S3 IS

I'm still in the dark ages of cameras compared to everyone else on PT ...I have a Canon Powershot A95. I want a digital SLR, but I really can't afford it right now. Truthfully, I really can't afford to buy another camera period, but I'm going on a trip so I want to be able to take some good photos. I'm thinking of getting a Canon Powershot S3 IS....or maybe the S2 IS, I'm not sure if there's a big difference. Any opinions/advice?

I have the S2 and my mom has the S3. I haven't found a whole lot of differences between the two...minor option upgrades (sports mode, black instead of silver, slightly larger screen), so if money is really a concenr, you might find the old model cheaper.

This is a site that has a really good comparison

S2 vs. S3

I would go with the S2. It's cheaper and the S3 doesn't offer much of an improvement to spend more money on. Warning though, it doesn't come with much of a memory card. So, you'll probably have to get another of those, too. I'm not sure what the a95 memory cards are, but it may take the same as some DSLR's.... *nudge nudge* My XTi takes the same as my A80.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

What's an SLR and a DSLR?

I'm considering getting a digital camera; I have a 35mm, but with PT, I want to post more often!! Te hee.

Do they still even sell the S2's? I haven't seen them anywhere, or I would buy one of them. I'm looking for a new camera too since my old one's about to fall apart.
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

I got the S3 for Christmas. It's really nice but I have no clue how to use it. I'm a point and click kind of gal. I haven't even used the video on it yet. All I know is it takes a heck of a lot better pictures than my 4 year old Olympus camera.

I just checked on Amazon and you can get the S3 for $309 w/free shipping through Amazon whereas the S2 is $345 plus shipping from a third party vendor. Thought that was interesting.

Also, if you watch some of the online deal boards you can get 2G SD memory cards for less than $10 (sometimes even free) after mail in rebates. That is how I got my two cards.

From Decker with Love

I got an S3 about a week ago and love it.I am still getting used to it but it takes great pictures.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

SLR stands for Single-Lens-Reflex cameras. Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera
    DSLR just stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I own the S1 and have used the S3. While I can't say on the S2 specifically the S3 did have many features my own did not. I'm guessing that the S2 is somewhere in between. I found both cameras easy to use and both take great shots.

If money is a problem I'd go with the S2 myself if you don't want to wait and save up for the DSLR.

Have a fun vacation.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

One thing about the review where it compares the Scene Modes, the S2 DOES have the Color Accent and Color Swap, they are 'in' the My Colors mode. So really, the S3 just has the "sports mode".
    DeviantArt
    Beth-
    Maggie [lab x germanshepherd], Autumn [Cattle dog x chow], C.P. [Domestic short hair] Henry [domestic short hair] Mittens [siamese/ x ], Buck [paint horse], Indy [Paint horse]