Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spoken Languages

Spoken Languages

I thought this would be an interesting topic!

What languages do you speak? Which is your native language? Did you learn them for fun or/and for a requirement? How long have you been speaking them? Do you speak them regularly?

I learned Japanese and sign language in school when I was 9 and continued learning for a little while. I learned some French in high school. I knew random little phrases in other languages. I've pretty much since forgotten most of it which is unfortunate because I *love* learning other languages. I hope to take them up again soon.

Well the only one I speak fluently is English.

I can understand a lot in French (quebecois french) and can speak quite a bit but not enough to hold an entire conversation, some German, a little Spanish... and I can count to ten in Japanese LOL

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

English

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    English is my only language. I am learning sign language right now from a deaf co-worker.

Mmmm, I can count to 10 in Spanish, Turkish, German and Chinese but that won't get you very far....
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

English is my main language.

I know a few words - enough for very, very simple conversation in French, but only if the other person speaks slowly enough! I know a handful of words in Spanish (thanks to Sesame street and an immigrant friend, mostly), can count to 14 in Swedish and know a few other words - not enough for a conversation by a long shot, and know a random handful in Polish (really random) and ASL, and can say hello, thank you, and "I don't want that" in Mandarin.

My grandfather was gifted in languages and was fluent in 5 (Swedish, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and could make himself understood in a few others when necessary - he was police chief of a mill town with dense immigrant populations. He didn't have the benefit of any college education, just learned on his own. He was Swedish, his wife (grandma, my beloved grandma) was French-Canadian, and she didn't want us to learn anything but English, so we wouldn't be discriminated against. We were to be "just American." So my French is largely "school French" which was very different than the French the older generation spoke at family gatherings!

I am Irish so I speak both english and irish and speak both fluently depending on what part of the country I am in, funnily enough can read and speak irish but cannot for the life of me cannot write it properly....
    jackmilliesmom

Thanks to Michelle (Kittycats_Delight) for my wonderful
    cheerful and special signature and avatar!!!!!!

**I'VE BEEN FROSTED**

Just English.

Only English.
    I am taking Spanish 2.But I am not very good at it.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

English is my Primary language, but Can speak pretty good Spanish. Been a while since I have had to speak it, but am trying to teach my kids Spanish. My Father was Mexican, and I grew up in LA, so It was pretty much a prerequisite!

I used to know a bit Of Japanese, but Cant remember as words as I used to know.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I am only fluent in English
    I can count and say a few phrases in German, French, Spanish. I also learned just enough Japanese to get my job done and be friendly when I worked at the club in Japan but I wouldn't be able to hold up my end of a conversation for any length of time
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I Know english but can speak some hungarian since my granparents and motheres side is all from there. I dont think I really know anything else though.

English here too. I studied Spanish in highschool and then German in college. I picked up some Spanish from Sesame Street and from living in Texas. Amazingly, I can listen or read German and follow the drift pretty well.

I wish I had continued in at least one second language

English (sometimes ) ... Enough french to get by in Quebec, enough Japanese to have done phone support in the evenings with clients in Japan, some spanish and italian, and Latvian (my grandparents were latvian, so i can speak it and understand what is going on, but couldn't write it).

English is my native language. Also speak some Gaelic, Spanish, Sign
    language and Latin.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

English is my main language, even though I suck in it lol

My birth language was french, but that was cut off instantly when i was 3yrs old.

I suck in french now, but when I need to I can get by just fine. If I stay at my grandmas place fore a couple weeks, most of my french comes back to me & then she can no longer keep things from me hehehe