Thread: *Update on Bailey the Labrador* :-(

*Update on Bailey the Labrador* :-(

My friend's vet found Lyme disease and she said that it hasn't been known, at least to her knowledge, to cause seizures. But Bailey has had a petit mal seizure every hour since 5:15 yesterday evening. She's sedated and will be watched at the clinic over the weekend. One vet has already suggested euthanasia but his vet says to wait. So wait it is. I'll keep you posted but please continue your prayers for Bailey. (Has anyone experienced this w/their pet and Lyme disease?)
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    My friend's vet found Lyme disease and she said that it hasn't been known, at least to her knowledge, to cause seizures. But Bailey has had a petit mal seizure every hour since 5:15 yesterday evening. She's sedated and will be watched at the clinic over the weekend. One vet has already suggested euthanasia but his vet says to wait. So wait it is. I'll keep you posted but please continue your prayers for Bailey. (Has anyone experienced this w/their pet and Lyme disease?)
    Tell the Vet to reference:

Vet Record 1994 Apr 9;134(15):369-72

Of 21 dogs from Sapporo, Hokkaido that had been recognised as having been bitten by ticks, 16 were seropositive to Borrelia burgdorferi by ELISA. Thirteen of the seropositive dogs showed signs such as fever, astasia, convulsions, anorexia, fatigue, abnormal gait, nervous signs, diarrhoea, corneal opacity and conjunctivitis. These signs subsided as a result of antibiotic treatment within five days.

Microbial Immunology 1993;37(4):325-9

A 2-year-old mongrel dog developed neurological signs following tick bite. These included astasia, persistent tonic convulsions and hyper-reflexia. Both serum IgG and IgM antibody titers against Borrelia burgdorferi were positive in enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). The neurological signs subsided after high-dose penicillin and streptomycin treatment...Similarly, a 2-year-old Labrador retriever dog developed neurological signs after tick bite and showed a positive IgG antibody titer against B. burgdorferi. Antibiotic treatment was effective also in this case.

The Vet who suggested euthanasia should be shot, and then hung. Maybe quartered afterwards? Try antibiotics. Since this hasn't been going on too long, the dog might make a good recovery. It depends on how much neurological damage is permanent. Lyme can be tricky to treat, as the organism has the ability to hide, and then come back with antibiotic resistance. The antibiotics are usually given at high doses in order to clobber the bugs.

I just got home and read my friend your post and he said that his vet started Bailey on an antibiotic right away. So hopefully, we'll see an improvement soon. Thanx so much for your help.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Oh Bailey - I'm rooting for you buddy
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk