Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions..thinking of changing my cats litter product

questions..thinking of changing my cats litter product

Ok just thought i would ask some advice here, i am thinking of possibly changing the kind of cat litter i use,until i had lexie i had never used cat litter,at the moment i use a fairly cheap one, as i have to keep costs down,due to my new furbabies, but i find it too dusty, not only for the cat but my home as well, and with my allergies not so good, i have found a new litter which is actually slightly cheaper, it is made of recycled paper and is like pellets,and has no chemicals or perservatives and of course would be much better in the dust department,now is it best just to change her and see how it goes, or add a bit of both, excuse my ignorance here.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Carole,

I've used Feline Pine for years, and swear by it! It has no dust at all and the pellets help keep the odor down. I will never go back to scoopable cat litter again.

The key to changing cat litter is do it gradually. Put in the new litter and cover the top with the old stuff. Gradually decrease the old stuff till there's only the new stuff left.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Carole - I use Yesterday's News, which sounds exactly like the kind you're using now. I think it's great! It's light and easy to carry, the odor control is superb, and while it isn't technically a "clumping" litter (which aren't safe anyway), the pellets swell and adhere a little bit when wet, and I just scoop daily with a slotted scoop. I think it's a first-rate litter.

I was initially using Feline Pine, which is aesthetically nice, but ended up all over the house because my cat has huge tufts of fur between his toes that picked it up like a magnet.

Love, Columbine

I use the PetValu heavy duty clumping basically for cost.
    And I would love to use the Purina Multi Cat but its so pricey for 12 Big Found Cats.Thats the best in my humble opinion.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    carole ~ We use a combination of cheap, dusty clay litter and Feline Pine - wood pellets. Just last week I saw the paper pellets litter and thought about trying it one day. Didn't buy it but did notice that it is more expensive (here in Alaska) than the clay litter but cheaper than the Feline Pine.

Glacier told us about using wood pellets make for a wood stove. Where I live, Feline Pine is 75 cents a pound and the pellet stove stuff (which is identical) is 20 cents per pound. So, we bought over 100 pounds of the pellet stove stuff and keep it in the garage.

The cats like it. We put some of the pellets in the bottom of the litter pan and then cover it with clay. The kitties do the mixing for us.

If you try the paper, let us know how it works. I will probably try it some time. Right now we're very happy with the odor control withthe wood.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Carole, The key to changing cat litter is do it gradually. Put in the new litter and cover the top with the old stuff. Gradually decrease the old stuff till there's only the new stuff left.
    Exactly! I agree with Donna. Move slowly, and they will adapt.

I also use woodstove pellets. They are so much cheaper than Feline Pine but they have the same purpose. I can get an opened (damaged) bag of woodstove pellets, 40 lbs for about $8. Works just as well as the Feline Pine.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thanks all, i will indeed let you know the results, going to buy some soon and do the gradual thing, which i kinda thought would be the best way to go, but good to get the expert opinion here.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Where do you get the woodstove pellets?

Thanks,
    Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Where does one purchase wood stove pellets? I'm intrigued by something that's less expensive than Feline Pine but works similarly.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Ok, pardon my ignorance but I have a question: what do you do about pee in the litter? I've only ever used clumping litter and, obviously, scooping poop would be fairly easy but what about the pee when using Feline Pine or the pellet stuff?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Well just an update, i have been using the recycled paper pellets for some time now with success,the kitties did not seem to take much time to change over and are using it no problem, I don't find the odour control any better than the other product i was using and it is slightly less economical, as when you do take the pee out, you have to take quite a lot of it out to get rid of it, the dusty stuff was better in that aspect as it kinda stayed in one spot, however i am going to stick with this product as the dust is minimal a must for me and my kitties.

The other downside for me is i can only buy it at one supermarket in at the mall, so it means a special trip every so often there, however i quite often go for a shop and have decided to stock up in advance instead, it costs me 9.95 a 15 litre bag or 4.99 for a 6 litre bag, sometimes they don't have the big bags so i have to spend a little more buying smaller ones, i do get fustrated that my own supermarket does not stock it, maybe i will ask if they will consider it.
    Furangels only lent.

Changing from clay to alternative litter

Dear ones, can you please advise me? I was at Petsmart last night, looking at the types of cat litter they sell. We are currently using good old clay, not the clumping type. Petsmart has an information card by the "alternative" litters suggesting that all of them - recycled paper, pine, wheat and silica - provide better odor control and need changing less often than regular clay. Does anyone out there use "crystals" litter? And if you do - how do you like it? I was thinking of switching to either Feline Pine or Yesterday's NEws.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

My kitties adapt to new litters instantly. Usually, I buy feline pine scoopable, but when we can't get to the pet store, I buy Max Cat scoopabe. They don't seem bothered by the rotating of cat litters.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE

I used clay for 3 weeks (I got it free, long story for another time). UGH! I hated it! Dust everywhere, and the odor was terrible. I just switched back 2 evenings ago. I don't use either of those you mentioned, so I can't commment on them; but you will see an improvement!

I use Tidy Cats scoopable.