Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please Keep Starr In Your Thoughts & Prayers:Update: Biopsy Results!!!

Please Keep Starr In Your Thoughts & Prayers:Update: Biopsy Results!!!

Hi,I thought that I'd better post this now. Starr will be having a surgical biopsy some time on Monday and I'll be dropping him off tomorrow night between 5-7pm. He'll then stay overnight on Monday night and he'll be able to come home some time on Tues. Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers. I'll explain more below.

As some of you already know, Starr's been having chronic diarrhea and mushy poos for quite a while now. I've tried metronidazale, prednisolone, tylosin, probiotics, new diets and nothing has worked. His whiskers are now breaking and some are just little stubs and his fur isn't looking good either. It isn't as soft and silky like it usually is and it's also lost a lot of it's luster. In Aug. he weighed about 9.6lbs and I took him to a new vet last Tues. and he's down to 7.9lbs.

I've been having a lot of problems with my current vet's office so when I heard about Adobe Animal Hospital through Cathy Bogart, I asked her more about it and to see if she could find out which vet would be the best for me and my cats. I saw Dr. Rachel Boltz on Tues. night and she's excellent. She specializes in feline medicine and surgery. She immediatley noticed that Starr's coat and whiskers looked bad so she said that he should have a vitamin B12 shot. She gave him one and he's been feeling much better. He'll be getting these about every 2 weeks until he doesn't need them any more.

She also recommended that he have the surgical biopsy so that she can then give him the right course of treatment. He could've also had an endoscopy biopsy but this would take longer, not be as conclusive, and leave Starr in more pain the next day. She'll also be able to look at his pancreas and said that this is a plus too. She'll know the results in a couple of days so I'll hopefully know by Wed. or Thurs. at the latest. He's also eating Hills Prescription Z/D and seems to like it so far. She gave me a sample to see if he'd even like it before I bought any of it. He also loved the canned food but it didn't love him.

I kept telling my other vets that Starr did worse when he ate wet food and they couldn't understand why. Dr. Boltz said that it's because his colon can't absorb the moisture of wet food properly. She also said that his red inflamed gums was also a part of this illness. After he had his teeth cleaning in late Dec. is when he started getting worse. She's given me hope for Starr. If I hadn't gone to her for a second opinion I hate to think of what may have happended to Starr.

This hospital is very large but everyone is very organized, efficient, friendly, and extremely nice. Dr. Boltz also told me that she won't even charge me for Starr's overnight stay on Sunday night. She works from Sun.-Wed. 9am-7pm and Mon. is her surgery day. She's making it more conveinent for me because if I had to drop him off before 9am on Mon. morning, I'd get stuck in a lot of traffic and it would take me twice as long to get there. She even gave me her e-mail address. I'm sorry that this post is so long but I just wanted to share everything with you. Thanks again Cathy Bogart. This place has now become my furkids new hospital.
    Last edited by krazyaboutkatz; 03-21-2007 at 10:13 PM.

I am so glad that you found a vet whom seems more concerned/educated with your cats specific problems. I will pray for Starr. I have not read anything about him in along time. I thought after his teeth he was doing better? I must have really missed something.

HUGS to meowie and Starr. Sometimes switching vets is the best for our babies.

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

{{{KAK}}} & {{{Starr}}}

So sorry the little guy is still having problems. Do keep us updated on his progress.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

I look forward to meeting you and Starr tomorrow, and introducing you to my new bottle baby.

Hopefully within a few weeks he'll be feeling loads better and back to himself. I can't imagine how cranky I'd be if I'd had an upset tummy for weeks on end. I told one of my co-workers he was coming in, and she's excited too since she has a soft spot for meezers.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

What sad news that Starr is still having problems. I went through almost all this with Lucas, so I understand exactly what this is like (including the cleaning up of diarrhea.. YUK) I hope that this procedure will finally diagnose HOW to help him.

{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

I'm sorry that Starr is still having problems.

He is in my prayers.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I really hope that this new vet can help poor Starr with his problems. Both of you have had more than your fair share over this.

Singing Meezer songs for Starr.

May they find his problem and get him on the road to recovery.

Many prayers coming Starr's way. I am hoping you find an answer with this biopsy.

Dr.Boltz sounds like a very intelligent vet.You must be so relieved to have her now as YOUR Vet.
    Their are too many vets that aren't studying the new treatments that are being found for many illnessess in cats.
    Starr...prayers for you baby from all of us.

Good luck Tracey and Starr! This poor little guy has been through so much. I sure hope this new vet can cure him once and for all. I'll be watching for updates. Hugs to you and Starr!
    Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) is a full management plan in which stray and feral cats already living outdoors in cities, towns, and rural areas are humanely trapped, then evaluated, vaccinated, and sterilized by veterinarians. Kittens and tame cats are adopted into good homes. Healthy adult cats too wild to be adopted are returned to their familiar habitat under the lifelong care of volunteers

It makes things so much easier to cope with when we have a knowledgeable, competent, friendly, compassionate vet and it sounds like you hit the jackpot. Prayers going out for Starr.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

13. Glad you have found a vet with whom you feel comfortable and confident. Special thought for a swift and good diagnosis for Starr.

Sending all best thoughts to little Starr- hope he is soon back to shining bright.

Oh no!! I didn't realize Starr was still not feeling well.
    It was very strange to see my vet's hospital name on this thread. I take Taz to Adobe Animal Hospital here in Concord. I doubt they are affiliated, but I love my vet. My Taz was also on the Z/D for a while, but then he stopped eating that too. I am so glad CathyBogart helped you find a better vet. Another great PT story!!
    Anyways, I hope the new doctor can get Starr on the road to recovery.
    Starr will be in my thoughts!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)