Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: "Whenever" and "Seen"

I did not read through the entire thread again, but the one that's been bugging me lately is are instead of our. Those are two completely different words!!
    Oh, and the other day the owner of the company I work for put in an email by instead of bye. That bugged me too.
    I also get the lie lay words wrong. I guess I should go to the site Karen posted.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

My biggest pet peeves have probably been echoed in this thread already:

their, there, and they're
    you're and your

I took a class in school that taught me the difference between words like "lying" vs "laying" (for writing in medical charts, which is a LEGAL DOCUMENT, and it just makes you look sloppy when you mix words like that up), but I do forget sometimes. I'd like to think I look like I'm a little educated though when I do speak/type as compared to many others.... granted, these smart phones nowadays sure can make you look dumb with their auto corrects...

facebook

Ha ha, a conniption fit. Another word I didn't know, that Sirrasim posted further up. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use it.

Jessica, the words you mention are misused everywhere these days and I can't understand why. Also, a lot of people use then, when they should use than. Those are two completely different words!

Even in articles in newspapers, there are lots of mistakes; in Denmark, too. Are there no proof readers anymore?

It's a shame that so many people can't spell (dysletic people), because they too have important things to say, but they are not given the same respect due to their bad spelling. Must admit that I find it easier and more enjoyable to read a well written article/book.
    Last edited by Randi; 07-12-2012 at 02:55 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

The biggie for me that I see everywhere is when people use "your" instead of "you're".

I don't know why it bothers me so much though but it does. I'm not the best at grammar but I do have the basics down.

I'm far from perfect in spelling, speech and grammar. But I always find mistakes when reading things. I always say I should be an editor.
    I've found mistakes in published books I read. Whoops! How did they miss that??

Oh and I often have to stop and think about using then or than. And then I'm still not sure. I over-think it!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

The one that really bugs me, that I see everywhere these days: people using "it's" when they mean "its."

it's = contraction of "it is"
    its = possessive of "it"
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    The one that really bugs me, that I see everywhere these days: people using "it's" when they mean "its."

its = possessive of "it"
    I'll even have trouble remembering this one because the apostrophe is "backwards" (in my mind, anyway lol). Normally you use the apostrophe to show possession but not in this case. You'd think I would keep that straight, knowing that... but, nope.

facebook

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

its = possessive of "it"
    I guess I'm always wrong then. I was always taught that an 's after anything, was the possessive of it, as well as being 2 words shortened - where just s is the plural of it. I never knew there was such a word as its. Its would mean that it is plural.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

"Its" is possessive of it, just like "his" and "her/hers" are possessives of he and she. No apostrophes.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

"Its" is possessive of it, just like "his" and "her/hers" are possessives of he and she. No apostrophes.
    No wonder they say that English is a very difficult language to learn. There are so many exceptions to the rule. I admire a lot of the folks on this forum whose (or is it who's?? ) native language is NOT English, but speak it so well - better than some who were raised with only English.

As long as I know the point someone is trying to get across, then I'm certainly not going to police their verbage, since I am far from being grammatically correct at all times.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I'd druther hear someone say, "I seen," that's seen somethin', than to say, "I have seen," that ain't seen anythin'!

A "flounder" is a fish; "founder" is what happens when a ship runs aground.

[QUOTE=Willow Oak;2428151

A "flounder" is a fish; "founder" is what happens when a ship runs aground.[/QUOTE]

But that ship has to sink below the surface of the water to "founder". If it's above and tossing about against rocks or a reef, wouldn't it be "floundering"?
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

My big pet peeve is "waiting on" and "waiting for". I summed it up back in post #52. That still drives me nuts.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    I'd druther hear someone say, "I seen," that's seen somethin', than to say, "I have seen," that ain't seen anythin'!

A "flounder" is a fish; "founder" is what happens when a ship runs aground.
    But "I saw," or "I have seen" is correct! "I seen" is not.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    But that ship has to sink below the surface of the water to "founder". If it's above and tossing about against rocks or a reef, wouldn't it be "floundering"?
    Language is evolving. That is what drives some of us "mad." When I was in school I was castigated if I spelled "buses" as "busses." Now, the latter spelling appears in dictionaries and has been approved as acceptable. The word "ain't" has become part of many dictionaries. I believe that the word "flounder" was inadvertently used instead of "founder" when someone was lost and trying to find his way (tossed about). Now the dictionaries approve the misuse of the word.

Most of the European languages evolved from Greek and Latin. Latin was the language spoke in ancient Rome, hence the "romance" languages.

Am I preaching to the choir here?