Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with my puppy's breed

Help with my puppy's breed

My boyfriend and I adopted a puppy, Bubby Jones, from our local animal shelter last September. He was a day away from being put to sleep because he had been in there for so long, and we couldn't resist! He was already neutered and full grown, but it took us 3 months to housebreak him. His age is unknown, along with his breed. We suspected either an American or French Foxhound, but he has been a steady 40 lbs since the day we got him. His legs are too tall, and snout is too long for a beagle. Any help on what breed this lil guy is would be very much appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PetTalk-Bub 1.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	34770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PetTalk-Bub 2.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	34771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PetTalk-Bub 3.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	34772  
    Last edited by Laura25; 03-18-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Hey Bubby Jones, so nice to meet you! I was thinking there is some beagle in there, but your mom says nope! So I don't know. But I DO know she loves you VERY much. So glad to see your handsome face here on Pet Talk!!!

I'm not good at this, but I would say beagle mixed with a larger breed. His head looks EXACLTY like a beagle.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

He looks like Trail Hound and Beagle/Harrier/Foxhound to me.

Looks Foxhound/Beagle to me!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Looks like a beagle mixed with maybe a pointer?
    I've been BOO'd!

He could be a treeing walker coonhound/beagle. what a cutie! Welcome to pet talk! I have a treeing walker coonhound/english coonhound mix named Buster. hounds are great dogs! and thanks for choosing to adopt.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    Looks Foxhound/Beagle to me!
    I agree. He is adorable!! Welcome to PT!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Thank You! I appreciate the input and am happy to be on here!

whatever he is, he is cute! I don't think he is an american foxhound, because his skull and muzzle are too square. Depending on whether there are many hunting dogs around the shelter, he could be part Harrier or English Foxhound, or perhaps just beagle with something bigger.

Niño & Eliza

He doesn't look full blooded beagle, but I think he has some in him.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I agree with the other posters, he looks like he definitley has some Beagle in him. He's an absolute cutie by the way!!
    Chilli's Mom♥ ♥ ♥

Mama and Kit Kat

I've dealt with a ton of bigger hound mixes around here (northern California) because there are a couple nearby places that do big meets, trials, competitions, etc. and it seems the dabbling newbies are always trying to create newer, better, designer mixes that end up in the pound to be pts because most of the people around here wouldn't touch a hound with a ten foot pole (they're ALL loud and stubborn and totally untrainable )...

Sorry, off into a favorite rant... what I was going to say was that it is not uncommon here to find a breeder trying to mix a larger hound with beagle, usually in a misguided effort to have a more manageably-sized hound, or have a very pack-oriented animal somehow have a more appropriate 'pet' mentality.

So I think it is pretty reasonable to think it is a beagle crossed with some sort of Foxhound, or Treeing Walker, etc. Or maybe just un under-sized, poorly bred Walker?

I would be less inclined to think Harrier (even though in most of the other ways it is a good fit), because all of the ones I have met have been more solidly built than most of the scent hounds, and from the quick look I took your guy seemed to be pretty willowy and light-framed. Maybe I just need a closer look, though.

looks a lot like this American Foxhound, but Bubba jones' head is so square!

I'd guess beagle mix too.

Not to forget our little foster dog Velma Dinkley!

guineapiggy Guest
    I think he would be a Foxhound Beagle mix they go to gether