View Poll Results: What is your favorite type of dog?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Golden Retriever

2 28.57%
  • Labrador Retriever

0 0%
  • German Shepard

4 57.14%
  • Airedale Terrier

1 14.29%

Thread: breeds

breeds

Waht are some search and rescue breeds?
    Star

The Pennsylvania Air Search and Rescue team has a multitude of different dogs on the team. There are blood hounds, flat coats, Goldens, Shephards, Beagles, Labs, etc....

Basically I believe any dog can be taught how to search. It is easier if the dog has some basic instinct though. The majority of the dogs that were at the World Trade Center were Shephards. Goldens make excellent SAR dogs since they have extremely keen noses, even more so than their lab counterparts.

Hope this helped.

Presley and i have started to play searching games... She is already doing great at tracking things. We will work on it and see how well she does once/if she matures

Originally posted by Dixieland Dancer
    Goldens make excellent SAR dogs since they have extremely keen noses, even more so than their lab counterparts.
    Just a nose note . . .

My golden will sniff for sticks that I've thrown into the river. He can't always see them, but his nose always guides him directly to the "mommy-scented" stick. It is an amazing site to see! I didn't realize a dog could smell a stick in the water, so well.

My Sheltie Teddy, is a search and rescue dog. When someone in my fmaily cna't find my mom, they find Teddy and tell him to find her, it cuts down on the worl for us humans! And he loves it. HE Then will go and find her and jump on her and scold her baout how she shouldnm't wonder. It is very funny.
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Thanx for all your reply's. I'm going to be getting a search and rescue dog soon and I was just wandering what some good breeds are.

Originally posted by Horseanjel7
    Thanx for all your reply's. I'm going to be getting a search and rescue dog soon and I was just wandering what some good breeds are.
    Just a followup.... you say you are getting a search and rescue dog. I am kinda confused at this statement. You need to realize that you should get a companion and friend first and teaching the dog to become a SAR dog is an added bonus. Your dog will not be a SAR dog when you get it, unless you spend lots of money to get a dog that is already trained. Training the dog is half the fun of the adventure though.