Thread: I found a Morning Dove on my door step this morning UPDATE: pg2.. He died :(

Threaded View

I found a Morning Dove on my door step this morning UPDATE: pg2.. He died :(

I put Bear out to potty & as I was following Bear into the house I see something in the corner of my eye.

It was a Morning Dove. The poor thing was very cold & it let me pick it up with little fight. Its holding up both its wings just fine, but one of its tail feathers is damaged.

I carried it in one hand while I emptied out a box. I put a piece of paper on the bottom & pur 2" of Aspen shaving on the bottom to help keep the bird warm. I filled a bowl full of water & gave it a small dish of hamster seed as thats all I had & have no clue what they eat

I checked for a leg tag as the bird should have been more scared, but there wasn't any. I did pet it for a bit to calm it. It closed its eyes & nuzzled its beak on its chest. When I held it with 2 hands to gently put it into the box it coo'd.. I don't know if I hurt it or if I scared it... I was prepaired for it to freak out in the box... But it just layed where i built it a nest of shavings.

So the info I need asap is what do they eat(I'll google it as well). I'll do a body check when I get home as I really think the poor thing was just super cold. But the bird was still too tame, so I'm also thinking it just might be a lost bird, as Morning Doves are popular pet store birds.

So I don't know if I should keep it or not, if it survives. I'm gonna try to go home for lunch time & try to get it to eat. If its still cold, I'm gonna turn on a heater & warm up my room, as my room is cool cause of the other pets I have & I like fresh air.

I also cannot keep it in a box for too long, as I'm sure it wont be happy in there. Does anyone in the area have a cage I can borrow in a day or so (I wanna make sure its gonna live)...

I hope it lives. I've had good luck in the past with baby birds, but never this kind of bird.
    Last edited by king2005; 03-09-2007 at 02:04 AM.