Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what do you consider medium?

what do you consider medium?

What constitutes a medium dog? Everybody has a different answer. There needs to be some universal.

I say between 14-18 inches and 25-50 pounds (it would have to fit both categories because I don't consider a 35 pound-21 inch siberian husky to be medium)

All the replies we get for an ad asking for a medium adult dog are what we consider big. We got two replys for labs, one for a golden retriever, one for a shepherd and so on. I feel so mean turning down these people after their sob stories of why they have to dump their dogs, but don't they see the word medium?

Maybe 50 pounds is small?
    Tiny= 10 pounds or less, 7 inches or less
    Small=10-25 pounds, 7-14 inches
    Medium=25-50 pounds, 14-18 inches

No, even if you add in tiny, I still don't consider 50 pounds to be in the next level.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

You are pretty close- its 20 to 55 pounds.

I agree with the weight rage you listed, but NOT the height range.

of my own dogs:

Happy-I, and anyone in their right mind who looks at her would say she is Medium. she is 30lbs, but she is 21" tall.

Misty-I also consider Medium, she is 18" tall and 30lbs

Electra-again, Medium she is 17" tall and 30lbs

Blair-my last medium, he is 15" tall and 22lbs

Ripley-I consider small, he is 13" and 18lbs

Perky-also small, at 12" and 20lbs.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I actually consider medium to be...cocker spaniel/Springer Spaniel/Wheaton Terrier...etc. Large would be lab, shepherd, etc.

I consider all of my dogs to be medium sized dogs. They are about 19-22" tall. I go more by height than weight, because a dog of the same height can easily be 25 lbs whereas my dogs are 55-70 lbs.

Fenway is 20 pounds and I consider him small. For me, medium is 40-60 pounds.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!

i consider a medium sized dog to be about 35-60lbs. My Gracie weighs in at 55lbs. She is a medium sized dog.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I would consider my two dogs medium. When I think of large dogs, I think of great danes, borzois, St. bernard, etc.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

I go for size too........and also consider medium a cocker, a pit, a bull terrier, a bulldog, a dalmatian, a schnauzer..........

husky, lab, rottie, dobie are big...........on the bigger big, akita, shep, malamute

and huge come the saint, dane, mastiff, etc........

as for small I go with pug, westie, poodle, pom, maltese

and for tiny a chihuahua, yorkie
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

I consider anything between 25-60lbs (approximately) to be a medium sized dog, with a height of between 17-23". Large to me is 65+lbs, and anything taller than 24" tall (with a few exceptions).

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Medium for me would be anywhere from 30-60lbs, breeds like the American Pit Bull Terrier, Lab and Husky come to mind... a large dog to me would be over 60lbs.

I really agree with whats been said. I'd say 30-60 pounds for a medium sized dog (though thats *most of the time*, there are always exceptions)

To me, a medium sized dog is 25 to 50 pounds. Small would be 25 and under, large between 60 and 100 and giant over 100.

So to me, kelpies, ACD's, Border collies, and aussies are medium. German shepherds, labs, tervurens, malamutes are large. Chihuahuas, mini and toy poodles, shih tzus are small and Irish wolfhounds, great danes, bernards, mastiffs are giant.

Of course it depends on the individual dog. Normally I'd say goldens are large breed, but I've seen some small goldens that I'd classify as medium, same with german shepherds.

And if you go for height, if the dog stands at about 3/4 or less up my calves, it's small. Medium is just below my knee, at my knee or just above my knee (top of my knee measures 22 inches). And large would be well above my knee more like 1/3 of my theigh. And then something like a borzoi....well a borzoi's withers would be just below my hips and their head roughly at my chest.
    I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!

I consider Sammy to be medium... he's 19 pounds but could use a couple extra pounds on him. I have no idea what his height is now. I'd say between 20-50 pounds is medium IMO.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I'm sure there are standards like the ones mentioned, for me it's a question of "as compared to what?". I think of my huskies as medium-large.

Huskies are a medium-size dog (35-60 lbs.), but to people that own small dogs, they seem like large dogs. To people that own large dogs, (shephards, collies, etc.) they seem medium sized. I see quite a few dogs at the dogpark whose owners consider them medium (bassets, labs, pittie-mixes) that outweigh mine by a good 20 lbs, I think it kind of depends what you are used to.