Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons of Multi-dog ownership?

Hybrid View

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.

Pros and Cons of Multi-dog ownership?

I'm really only at the "interested" stage now... But I was really looking for some info on some pros and cons of adding a second dog. Jenny has only ever been in a one-dog household. I've never been responsible for more than one dog (at a time.)

First off, will Jenny get bad ideas if the other dog isn't as well trained as her? Say, it doesn't come when called, will Jenny stop coming when called?

What changes? Like what is the difference, walking one dog compared to walking two?

Will it not be as attatched to me as Jenny is?

Now, whenever we watch a movie, Jenny will quietly lie on her bed. If we got another dog, would they both lie down, or would they be up playing with each other?

How do you keep the fastest eater from fighting for the others remaining food? Or would they not be able to both eat in the kitchen? (my mom isn't fond of the idea of them not eating in the kitchen, because it would ruin the carpet)

Would they fight over the 'best' seat in front of the fire?

How do you tell the difference between play, fighting for dominence, and 'real' fighting?

And a biggie, because I've heard a lot of different opinions on this one: Are two dogs not much more work (than one dog is) or a LOT more work (than one dog is) ?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I do add another I want to know what I'm in for.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

First off, will Jenny get bad ideas if the other dog isn't as well trained as her? Say, it doesn't come when called, will Jenny stop coming when called?

Most likely, the new dog will learn from Jenny, not the other way around. My older three are teaching Mufasa more and more everyday.

What changes? Like what is the difference, walking one dog compared to walking two?

Depends on how strong you are and how patient. For me, walking two dogs at a time isn't hard. However, I'd never attempt all 4.
    I walk Simba and Nala, then Kiara and Mufasa.
    Their personailities differ so much, so that's where patience is needed.
    Simba wants to stop and pee on everything, Nala wants to keep going.
    Mufasa wants to sniff, play, bark, etc. at everything, Kiara is freaked out and wants to keep walking.

It depends on your relationship with Jenny. Nothing should change between the two of you unless you change it. Each of the bonds between my dogs are the same as they were.

Now, whenever we watch a movie, Jenny will quietly lie on her bed. If we got another dog, would they both lie down, or would they be up playing with each other?

Also depends on the personaility of the new dog. Mine, including Moo, know when playtime is and when it isn't. A quick "knock it off, lay down" is all it takes for them to cool it for the night.

How do you keep the fastest eater from fighting for the others remaining food? Or would they not be able to both eat in the kitchen? (my mom isn't fond of the idea of them not eating in the kitchen, because it would ruin the carpet)

This is something my dogs have formed by themselves. All 4 have a different spot in the kitchen to eat in. When the food comes out, each of them goes and sits or stands infront of their bowl.

The only time they enter eachothers spot is when everyone is finished - Mufasa likes to lick the bowls. When he first entered our home, he would get in their faces and try to eat their food. However, they each have told him off and they learned.

I'd imagine most dogs don't fight over the "best" seat in front of the fire. Kiara and Nala both love the doggie bunk bed. They often cuddle up together in the same bed with no problems.

How do you tell the difference between play, fighting for dominence, and 'real' fighting?

You will learn how to tell the difference and learn their body language with eachother.

When adding another dog it's best to know what your dog gets along with. When going to parks/interacting with other dogs, does she get along with the dominant dog or the submissive dog? Does she prefer dogs larger than her or smaller? Younger or older? These are questions you need to ask yourself and watch for when she is with other canines.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Thanks so much, you have no idea how helpful this will be for me.

I thought of one more question... has anyone ever brought a dog from a really warm climate to a really cold climate? The dog that sparked my intrest is from a track in florida, I'm starting to wonder how she might cope with the -30F temperatures in winter. I've heard stories from areias of Romeo being cold at +40F. And he'd have a thicker coat than a greyhound would. Of course, I'd buy her a coat, but would her legs and such get cold?

In her profile it says : "She walks well on lead and eats like a champ but isn't so sure about that cold white stuff that falls outside." Would this mean she'd be terrified the first snowfall?

Thanks

I'd imagine it'd be a bit different for her at first, however, I'm sure she'd be able to adapt. Dogs are pretty adaptable animals. The only issue being transporting her from FL to you.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

She's already in NY.

I might as well give you a link to the girly I'm interested in (she's the 2nd one, Booboo ) http://www.greyhoundrescuerehab.org/available.html

Michy- I have always found that multiple dogs do better than singles. They learn to play, and try as I might- I can not play like a dog would. Introductions are critical, but I can help you with that. Also the few days, take things slow.
    Dogs are companion animals and pack animals too. IMO multiple dogs live longer, happier, and not to mention- more entertaining for us.. lol. I have found the new comer learns from the " other ones." To me its actually faster to train a dog with another dog in the house that knows the rules as dogs follow suit.

[color=magenta]do obdience classes and I am sure Jenny will still come when called. [color]

you'll have to exercise them both the same.

It depends on the dog.

Again, it depends on the dog. the dog has to get used to the surroundings first.

It's simple. feed them seperately so nothing happens.

probably not, but maybe the best seat on the couch or floor or bed.

[color=magenta]you'll know the difference. if it's dominance it's not exactly "fighting" and fighting is when it's not playing, but more serious.

try having four dogs. I don't think 2 is A LOT of work, IMO anyways but you have another mouth to feed, to exercise, play with, etc. I think Jenny would love to have a playmate.

Don't ever be sorry for asking too many questions. actually there is no such thing as too many questions.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

http://www.greyhoundrescuerehab.org/...es/booboo2.jpg

That's the second picture of her.

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    If you take the time to build the bond between the two of you then yes it could be. I have a bond with each of my dogs and with all five of them the bond is different but it is still there.

It could be a little from column A a little from column B. At the moment as I type this three of the four boys are on the couch curled up together sleeping while Winter is sleeping on the computer bed beside me, while Kizmit is happily asleep in his kennel. However an hour ago I was watching tv in another room and they were all happily romping around the room with the toys together. So really it all depends on what they feel like doing at the time. I have a feeling though that because you are looking for at a greyhound for your next dog there is a strong possibility that it will be more from column A and less from column B.

In my house all the dogs except for Kiz eat in the kitchen when I or my parents feed them. At that time we have a set routine on whose bowl is placed down first, what they have to do get it put down and where it goes as well. At first we would have problems with the dogs trying to eat each others food when they were finished but in time they have learned that once they are done eating they leave the kitchen until all the other dogs are done eating. It probably helps that the dogs are always fed after we ourselves have finished eating so someone is usually in the kitchen with them making sure they all mind their p's and q's. When I'm dogsitting at a friends or someone else is feeding the dogs other then myself or my folks the dogs are then fed in their kennels.

More then likely if they get along they'll end up sharing the best seat in the house. I often see my dogs curled up together on the dog beds or on the couch together.

Believe me you'll know, it just takes some time to learn how to read the two dogs and how they intereact with each other.

And a biggie, because I've heard a lot of different opinions on this one: Are two dogs not much more work (than one dog is) or a LOT more work (than one dog is) ?

To be perfetly honest there have been time when I've found it to be a lot of work and other times when I've found it to be not so hard and other times I've found it to be crazy. Then again almost all of the dogs I have except for the latest addition were rescues and have had some sort of issues to work through which can at times be difficult when you have other dogs with issuses to work with as well. However I would never think of doing it differently and not having more then one dog.

As for the question about the dog in the cold weather, having two dogs myself who were not made for the cold I've learned to deal with it, and I'm pretty sure you could two. Just be prepared to invest in some good coats for all types of weather.
    Goonies never say die!

Thanks Amy for the great sig!

I've always had more than one dog and they all seemed to get along. The exception being that the male and female alpha will not give up their place. You should always put your first dog's bowl down first and call her/him and then the others as their pack order. My dogs always get along, but I make sure to follow the pack order. As for walking more than one dog, yes, it's a bit harder on leash. But being in the country, I'm fortunate that the bush and trails are only a few hundred feet away and they can all be turned loose. They get more exercise together than the solitary dog who tends to stick by you. As for coming from a hotter country, I wouldn't worry about it. We (the general public) import dogs from all over without any ill effects. The dogs will groww thicker coats and get used to it.

TO BE totally honest Michy- Hotties calm pressence helped femka tremendously! She was afraid of everything and his confidence helped her so greatly! You have seen Femkas pictures before we got her, the light in her eyes- then here. I contribute a good half of that to learning from Hottie confidence etc. Life didnt seem so confusing to her anymore. Considering she never trusted people, Hottie helped break the ice with her for me to work with her.

She's adorable and reminds me of Nala.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Multiple dog households are wonderful IMO as long as you can handle it, which I'm sure you would be able to.

Trina used to be an only dog for a while and she started to get older. She was overweight, has hip displaysia. Well, when we got a Angie, who was about 5, 6 months old, it really livened her up. She lost alot of weight playing with her too. Now Trina will be 12 this July and she is still running around the pool like a young dog catching small food pieces you throw at her with astonishing accuracy and has yet to slow down and act her age.

When we got Rosie as a puppy, Angie really helped to teach her and socialize her. Like on the fourth of July, Rosie was afraid of the fireworks and the noise. But we went outside and went to a neighbors house and because Angie and Lacy (the neighbors labrador) weren't freaking out, Rosie calmed down. She isn't afraid of any loud noises now, thunder fireworks, gunshots....She even gets in the way of the vacuum and you can vacuum her with the hose attatchment.

Nope, that deffinitly won't be an issue. As long as Jenny has a reliable recall even with distractions, it won't happen. As mentioned above, it will actually work the other way. If you call Jenny and she comes, the new dog is likely to follow, thus helping you teach the new dog to come when called too!

Once you get them situated, it's much like just walking one dog as long as they both heel good. Just make sure you teach the new dog to heel before you walk them together. They may get a bit excited the first time going out together, but they'll get used to it. The only difference is that people tend to look at you funny when you walk more than one dog. You should see the looks I get when I am walking two huge german shepherds and some little 18 pound mutt

Once you develop the bond, it will be just at attatched to you as Jenny. It's important that each dog get it's own special time alone with you. This can be accomplished through a one on one walk or a nice, calm grooming session.

Most likely, the new dog will lay down too. You and Jenny are going to be setting the mood. Once the new dog gets situated into the house, it will learn when it's time to be hyper and crazy, and when it's time to settle down. When I first got Angie and it was bed time, she thought it was just too cool that I was laying on the bed and she thought it was time for her to jump all over me and lick me to death. But by the third night, she learned that bedtime was time to go to sleep. Same with Rosie. When I first got her and it was the first night in bed, she thought it was playtime. But she soon learned through me and Angie that bedtime is for sleeping. And just to clarify, both of those dogs sleep in the bed with me lol.

Just do different ends of the kitchen and make sure you police them while they eat. This way, if one gets done faster, you are there to make sure he/she doesn't try to steal somebody elses food. Mine eat in different rooms, but no closed doors. Rosie eats under the table in the family room, Trina eats in the kitchen in front of the refridgerator and Angie eats on the couch in the front room (yes, on the couch lol). The one who finishes first will eventually learn not to bother the other and you won't have to watch them like a hawk.

Probably not. They will either share it, or one will have it and the other will find another spot to lay down. Because it was jenny's spot to begin with, it is most likely that it will remain Jenny's spot and the other dog will find somewhere else. Rosie and Angie both share sleeping spots sometimes, you will find both of them laying on the couch or recliner, I have some really cute pics of them on the couch together.

The majority of the time, with real fighting or fighting for dominance, the hair on the back will stand up. With play fighting, there will be alot of play bowing, high pitched barks, and jumping on each other. Although dogs can be extremely noisy during play with snarls and growls, the snarl you hear during a real fight is different....It's hard to explain, but you will know it when you hear it.

The only time two dogs is double trouble is when the dogs have behavioral issues and aren't trained. You already have one dog who knows the house rules and is well trained, so you probably won't have any issues with another dog asimilating into the family. Jealousy issues can sometimes cause problems, but that is fairly easily reversed. Rosie didn't like it when I payed attention to Angie so what I did was I made it a good thing for rosie when angie got attention instead of a bad thing (like being ignored). So when I was petting angie, Rosie also got praised, petted or was given a treat.
    I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!

Here's a couple of the downsides I don't think anyone has mentioned yet:

1. More dogs = more poop. I just spent 2 hours scooping poop. I probably spend 8 hours a week doing nothing but cleaning the yard! Granted two dogs won't produce nearly as much as 23, but it's still double what one dog does!

2. Bigger vet bills. Beyond basic vet care, can you afford two emergencies? What if they are both sick at the same time?

3. It's harder to get away. I could find a someone to take care of multiple human children much easier than I can find someone to take care of even a few of my dogs. It's been two years since Stuart and I were able to get away for even a night together. Most of my family has never met my hubby. When I go visit, he stays here. When he goes away, I stay home. I've only ever met his Dad!

4. More dogs = more noise. Are your neighbors dog lovers and willing to tolerate a little extra ruckus?

5. Your heart gets broken more often. I look around my yard somedays and think.."Oh my God. The next few years are going to suck!" My pack is rapidly aging, with at least five dogs in double digit years and 10 considered seniors by my vet! My babies, Mac & Ozzy, are almost four. I seriously considered adopting a 7 month old puppy this week, just to get a younger dog in the mix! (Then I came to my senses!!)

I didn't find two was much more work than one. The work level skyrocketed at double digits! Everything before that was pretty easy! It's pretty complicated now!

I am deeply attached to all of my dogs. I don't feel differently towards the ones who came later vs. the ones who came first. Don't feel differently about the two who have been here since puppyhood vs. those who arrived as adults. Do I have a favorite? Absolutely, but it's not set in stone. My favorite changes all the time, sometimes from hour to hour! Every one of them gets a turn to be the favorite!

The good stuff--unconditional love, never a dull moment, the joy of watching them play together, ect. All the good parts of dog ownership are still there with multiple dogs!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier

The good stuff --
    unconditional love, never a dull moment, the joy of watching them play together, ect.
    All the good parts of dog ownership are still there with multiple dogs!

Oh, YES!!

/s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy