Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you let your dog do this?

Do you let your dog do this?

Do you let your dog go to the bathroom on the driveway or sidewalk?
    We don't let ours, just grass and they know it. But today Autumn peed on the driveway. Its kinda understandable that there is 4 feet of snow in the yard, but we shovel an area for the dogs. I gave her a stern talking to as I don't want her to get in the habit. She knows that she's only supposed to go in the grass.
    One of my stepdad's friends lets his dog go anywhere outside and it always poops in the middle of our driveway when its over. My girlfriend's dogs poop on sidewalk and driveway as well. I hate it. I always end up stepping in airedale poop because I'm not used to dogs going on the walkway and I don't look before I step.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Not really, the mojos have done it a few times because of the snow and the only time I can recall Maggie doing it was when we spent the night at a friend's house in Chicago and were walking around town with her and my friend's Great Dane, Gweck. She actually did it right in front of the Cub's stadium, so we joke that she's a White Sox fan.
    "To all the dogs I've loved before...Who traveled in & out my door...I'm glad you came along...I dedicate this song to all the dogs I've loved before"

NO!! I hate that, when we lived in the city, it just grossed me out! my dogs have never done it, not because i have trained them, thankfully they just dont like it! Grass is soooo...much better! Besides living in the country now, the dogs seem to prefer to go in the trees anyways! he he he! true nature dogs!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

I never didn't let them do it, my dog's just choose not too because they are good canine citizens! lol

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Not usually. The only time Mz Logan pees on the sidewalk is her habit of becoming so excited over something..people walking by, critters ..she tends to forget and lets go. When she's walked, I carry all necessary pick up stuff and also H2O which I pore over her pee.

I've been Boooo'd!

Do you let your dog go to the bathroom on the driveway or sidewalk?
    Possibly in an emergency! If they would!!!!!!!!

Due to a plugged up street drain we had water in our yard almost up to our dog's shoulders. After several hours they were dancing around the house with their legs crossed they had to go so bad. We finally let them out thinking they would relieve themselves on the patio where the water was much lower.

Nope! They plowed through the water searching for their usual spots, then gave up. They held it till the water went down in the yard a few hours later.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

I've never really thought about this before. My dogs have always did their business in the grass. Even when the ground is covered with snow, they go out where the grass is. I've never trained them, they just always went in the grass.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I would allow mine in an emergency. Rosie has only done this once. We were at the dog park and were were on the way home and I was roller blading with her. Well, she didn't go at the park and apparantly she had to and she just started going right there in the street while walking!

Other than that one time, they won't go on cement. Rosie will go on dirt and the others won't though.
    I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!

Most dogs prefer to only go on surfaces that will absorb, like grass. My dogs only go on a concrete surface if they really have to go and no grass is nearby. I have never taught them this, it is natural for them to prefer that.

Nope...neither Riley nor Rebel has ever done it, either.

My dogs have never tried to go potty anywhere else, but in the grass. I don't think I would really care either. I pick it all up as soon as they are done anyway. My friends say if you just looked at my yard you'd never know I had dogs.LOL
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Zoee will not go anywhere BUT in the grass (or dirt if she has to). I've had her at a kennel for a couple of days for doggie day care, and I don't think she went ALL day!! That's why I need to find another day care place to take her, that has grass.

Our RB dog, DJ, would always go on the sidewalk. We think it was because when they first moved into this house the back yard was full of 4 to 5 feet tall weeds. So the only place he could go was on the sidewalk, or patio area.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

No i don't,I have long grass in the back,and that is were they seem to go,But while out on the deck Mr Stormy likes peeing on it,i laugh at him he still does not lift his leg,While im out walking he is mistaken as being a girl lol,
    What a guy he is.

Belle's never actually tried to go in the driveway, she just sticks to the grass. But I know that it would not be allowed if she did.

Jasper
    [Irish Setter]

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    Most dogs prefer to only go on surfaces that will absorb, like grass. My dogs only go on a concrete surface if they really have to go and no grass is nearby. I have never taught them this, it is natural for them to prefer that.

Ditto.

Although, when I first adopted Kiara and Nala they would poop on the cement (just poop, not pee) I imagine they were used to doing this on the cement at the shelter.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits