Thread: New unplanned addition, need advice about dwarf hamsters.

New unplanned addition, need advice about dwarf hamsters.

Well, I did it again. My animal care instinct is crazy! I was at Petco buying Sylvia’s birthday presents (she will be 4 years old on March 6th) and there was an albino dwarf hamsters in a tank with a sign that said ‘free’. I’m so against this. If you are not willing to pay $5 for a hamster, but you take one that’s free then you are not going to be a good pet owner. Also here’s me thinking that this cute little young hamster is going to be snake food, which I’m not against by the way. I know snakes have to eat, but to put this little guy up for free really isn’t giving him a chance. So long story short, I left Petco, went to get my eyebrows waxed and while I was sitting in the chair I was thinking about the little guy (or girl). After my eyebrow appointment I went back in and got a cage, supplies and left with the dwarf hamster. Her name is Vivian or his name is Vance after one of my favorite actors. I haven’t sexed him/her yet cause I want him/her to settle in the new home.

Anyway, I know how to care for gerbils. I had them when I was little, but if anyone has hamster specific info it would be appreciated. I will post pics over the weekend.
    Last edited by My Peanuts; 03-02-2007 at 01:50 PM.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Congrats!
    I love drawf hammies.They are so cute.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Congrats on your new hammy!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

thanks guys!

So here's what I've got for him, tell me what else I need please.

I have...
    -A 2 story cage w/wheel
    -food dish
    -water bottle
    -non treated bedding
    -chew stick attatched to a toy with a bell
    -mineral block
    -exercise ball (the kind he goes inside)
    -wooden house for inside the cage
    -food (seed, corn etc fortified mix)

I'm getting after work
    -Oasis vita drops for hamsters (vitamins for in the water)
    -salt lick
    -extra food dish for veggies and fruit.

Do I need hay or anything else?

Oh, one other thing. When I used to have gerbils a LONG time ago, I had these cool plastic tube sets. I think they could have been used as caged and they attatched to each other, but I used them separate from the cages like a getaway for them. I've seen cages with the tubes and all the fun stuff but I haven't seen ones that you can build on like the ones I used to have. You could buy more and more accessories and it was fun for the gerbils and for me to watch them. Anyone know where I can get something like that? I wonder if I still have my old ones.

Disregard the last post, Crittertrail makes what I'm looking for

Congratulations! I can't wait to see pictures once he's settled in.

I think you have everything you need? I haven't had hamsters is a very long time and I've never had a dwarf hamster. I really don't know how necessary the vitamin drops are. He may be turned off by the taste/smell of them at first. I'd suggest weaning him onto them- maybe start with 1/4 the recommended dose and work up to the full amount.

One of my best friends has the most wonderful dwarf hamster named Bill. I know they can be nippy (I believe they are known to be even more nippy than "regular" hamsters), but if you handle him as often as possible then you shouldn't have a problem with that. I know my friend usually gives her hamster at least 3 hours out of his cage each day. He's the most gentle little guy I've ever seen.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Yep, you have everything you need and your set to go!

Critter trails are awesome, but they can be difficult to keep clean because hammies will sometimes urinate in them. The best way I've found to clean them is to take them apart, fill the sink with hot water with some Dawn and let them soak for about 5 to 10 minuts. Then just scrub with a bottle brush, rinse and set out to air dry.

I used to breed dwarf hamsters and many of the worst tempered ones were the albinos and ones that were predominantly white with red eyes along with pure creams with red eyes. I'm not sure if this was just a quirk in my breeding with genetics, or if this is a general trait of those colors. I would love to know what kind of temperment your hammy has once you start to get to know her. I'll also mention that males are typically more docile than females regardless of color, although I did have one white and grey pied hamster with black eyes that was super sweet.
    I'VE BEEN FROSTED!!!

Yay! I am so glad you saved the little guy! Now he has a grand future with you I can't wait to see pictures

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

I couldn't find my camera over the weekend, but I found it just now. I will post pics of Vivian (I sexed her and she's a girl) soon.

Sounds like you've got everything you need. When I worked in the pet store, I used to LOVE to give the dwarf hamsters millet spray and watch them nibble at it. SO CUTE!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Congratulations on the new little addition!
    Dwarf hamsters are so much fun, I got my dwarf hamster Munchie last summer.
    It looks like you have everything you need.
    Here is a hamster forum that can help you if you have more questions.
    Hamster Hideout
    CathyB, Munchie loves the spray millet, I borrow a few chunks from my parakeet's supply and Munchie eats it like corn on the cob.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

Do you have a wheel? Or is that what you meant by hamster ball? Wheels are important.

Crittertrails alone are to small. You need atleast 2 attached together expecially since dwarfs just LOVE to run.

I also must say that Hamster Hideout is an awesome website

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats