Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Scratching beside food plate.

Cat Scratching beside food plate.

Hey -

Im looking for help here - just adopted a cat from the Humaine Society, 2 year old plain black one named Tuffy

I've had him for 3 weeks now, and just recently noticed that he scratches beside his food as if he was in the litter box . weither it's a bowl of dry food or a plate of wet food. does this mean he dosin't like the smell of his food? it's TUNA

His bowl of water is full - and food is there - he does eat it adventually tho. but any hints on why he does this?

thanks!

Last edited by Mikie; 06-29-2002 at 05:41 AM.

Welcome Mikie!

I have seen our cat do this, and I'm pretty sure he did it to tell us he didn't like that particular food we had put in front of him. But since you've tried different kinds, it's hard to tell what the reason is. Perhaps some of the other members will be able to help!

Good luck!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I have seen my Andy do this too. He is my "neatnik" so I figured there might be an odor on the floor or something that he was trying to cover up. Occasionally Trevor will present us with a hairball and even after I have cleaned the spot on the carpet, and feel it is as clean as can be, Andy tries to cover up where it used to be. Maybe just a very sensitive nose?

a smell? hmm.. I thought my kitchen smells nice - but I guess it dosin't for him.. hmm

Thanks!

It's just a cat thing. Mine all do it sometimes. They often do it when they are done eating. Maybe trying to save it for later? It's more annoying than anything.
    Welcome to Pet Talk by the way!

My cat Corkscrew does that too, but I don't think it has anything to do with him not liking the food. He's a pig and he loves to eat anything and everything.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Jupiter does this ALL THE TIME to his water..... I have no idea why.... he always ends up spilling it on the floor. I had to put the water bowl into a smaller (clean) litterbox so it just spills in there.... I think maybe some cats just do that.?!?!?
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Mikie, first let me welcome you to Pet Talk., and congratulations on adopting an older kitty from the HS.
    In regards to your Tuffy scratching beside his food plate. Nothing to worry about, it is a cat thing. I've had plenty of cats who have done this. To me it seemed they did this with the thought,
    "I'll cover this and get back to it later".
    Enjoy your new furbaby who will give you nothing but unconditional love.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Yes, I have heard that too.
    I thinks it's something that wild cats do, in order to save their 'leftovers' for later (and it keeps other cats from smelling their food.
    One of my cats does this with both his food and his water =(MESS)
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

An interesting twist

My G & M do it too. But it just so happens that they are also very sloppy. I have gotten into the habit of putting a dish towel or paper towel under the food dish. Every night, when they have had their fill, the cover the food dish with the cloth or paper towel, then uncover it later when they are hungry. So, my vote is that it is a "save it for later" scratching, trying to cover it up, so that it will be SAFE for later.

OMG! sopmeof those replies are just too funny - yet now that i think of it.. is absolutely true -

Thanks for the many welcomes and replies Im not a big message board fan - but HUUGE MERCI BEAUCOUP

*cuddles with tuffy*

Welcome to Pet Talk mikie. My cats Pepper and Sunny both do this with there food dish. I've told other people about this and no one had ever heard or seen a cat doing this. They'll also do it right after they use the litter box so I'll find litter on their placemat. Both Sunny and Pepper also play in their water dish. Storm doesn't do either one of these things. I always thought that this was abnormal behavior. Maybe I have two normal cats and one abnormal cat. Hmmm.

I translate this behavior to mean: "Pardon me, beloved human, but this belongs in a litter box, NOT my food bowl". I had trouble with Debra turning her nose up at canned food that she once liked, so when I presented her with the last in a long line of premium (and not so premium) brands and she did the cover up motion, I finally got the message and now she gets steak cooked on the grill which I then cut up in tiny cat-sized pieces and refrigerate in a ziplock bag for the week. Usually there is enough for two weeks, so I freeze half the little pieces. She also eats a mixture of various dry cat food. Spoiled, isn't she . . .
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

VERY spoiled Avajoy
    Kedi, Wylie, Rudy, and the dog Scout!

my kittie micho does this too.he will never stop.but i am thinking it has to do with when they were nursing from their mothers and they would push with their hands.we have a mat under his bowl and he picks it up with his claws over and over.it gets annoying but i know its not hte food cause he won't eat anything but whiska's with savory nuggets.and ice cream.i wish i could help you but i don't think their is a cure for finniky scratching.-iluvmicho