Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: adding stuff to the dog's diet, wanted to hear your thoughts

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

adding stuff to the dog's diet, wanted to hear your thoughts

Ok, I just wanted to see if anyone else had ever heard of this or if anyone else fed their dogs this nutritional support. I just found it at the grocery store I work at, and we bought it for the three dogs. The brand is Udo's Choice and it's called Pet Essentials for Dogs (an all-vegetarian nutritional support for pets with EFAs, Fiber, Enzymes & Phytonutrients). It comes in powder form and I put it in once a day in their nightly meals.

Here's the guaranteed analysis: not less than 25% crude protein, not less than 15% crude fat, and not more than 8% crude fiber and not more than 10% moisture.

Here are the ingredients:

Each 16oz contains a proprietary blend of: Udo's Seed Cake (flax seed*, defatted flax seed*, sunflower seed*, defatted sunflower seed*, sesame seed*, defatted sesame seed*, rice germ, rice bran, oat germ, oat bran), rice bran, carrot, whole golden flaxseed*, tomato, ginger, sprouted soybean, barley grass*, beet, chrysanthemum, Digestive Enzyme Blend (protease, lipase, amylase, cellulase, maltase, glucoamylase, invertase, pectinase, phytase, lactase), lemon grass, parsley, alfalfa*, artichoke, broccoli, burdoc, hawthorn berry, kale, kelp*, milk thistle, red clover yucca schidigera extract, dandelion root, dandelion leaf, oat grass, rosemary, sage, thyme, rye grass*, bee pollen, chlorella, dulse.

*certified organic

This is what it says on one side of the bottle:

Udo's Choice Pet Essentials for Dogs is rich in certified organic seeds, whole foods, herbs, greens, trace minerals and phytonutrients in their unaltered, natural state to give your pet optimum nutrition for maintaining an active, energetic lifestyle. Fiber and enzymes help maintain regularity and support the digestive system. Organic flax seeds support the cardiovascular system, help maintain good muscle tone, and promote a healthy skin and glossy coat. Greens are rich in chlorophyll, minerals and trace elements. Pet Essentials contains no fillers, binders, or other non-nutrient ingredients. It has no preservatives or additives and is nitrogen-packed to ensure freshness.

Finn, as most of you know, eats a raw diet, consisting primarily of chicken leg quarters. He gets raw beef and pork as well. Freckles and Dudley eat a high quality kibble called Pinnacle. I usually throw them all what's left of fruit and veggies that I've eaten (like apple cores) or fruit and veggies I won't eat (like a bruised up banana that I would use in banana bread but that I wouldn't eat by itself). Lately, I've been throwing everything we don't eat (fruits and vegetables and their peelings and rinds, stale bread, etc) into a food processor and blending it all up with yogurt for all three dogs. It makes a good base to add that new powdered supplement to. And, I feel better that I'm not wasting food (they're like having a pig around, now, hahaha...or a compost pile). So, if celery gets a little too rubbery for our palate, it goes into the processor. I won't put anything in there with mold, but I have been throwing banana peels and cantalope rinds and orange peels in there, which are things that they typically wouldn't eat. Now, they do!

Anyway, I know there are certain things they shouldn't eat, like onions and grapes and chocolate of course. Any others I should know about? I'm going to do a search, too, because I know there are already threads covering that. But, I actually posted this thread to see what you all thought about the new supplement I got for them and about the new way I'm feeding them fruits and veggies. I like to get feedback when I make changes, just in case.

This new supplement I have is manufactured by Flora and their website is www.florahealth.com. The other site is www.udoerasmus.com (I haven't visited either, yet, but I will!).

Thanks if you actually read this!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Well I see two ingredients that raise an eyebrow- flax, and beet. However- the flax appears to be cooked in a cake- thats okay. The beet is so far down, and other things in there are a good addition- with tomato before the beet, and kale and kelp following . Also Rosemary, and hawthorn berry are good for the immune system as well. I also see no indication of a presevative that would be alarming. And stated as organic means the ingredients can not be treated prior to processing either. The digestive enzyme mix looks good as well.
    Looks pretty good to me- let me know how it works out.. Picked out a good one to me!

What's wrong with flax? Everything I've ever read about it says it's a great addition to any animal's diet, including people. My mother-in-law just about adds it to anything she's baking. Not doubting what you know, just curious.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by finn's mom
    What's wrong with flax? Everything I've ever read about it says it's a great addition to any animal's diet, including people. My mother-in-law just about adds it to anything she's baking. Not doubting what you know, just curious.
    Raw or fermented flax will make gas in the intestine. However- since its in a combination like the others, and states cake, its been cooked to some degree. When ingredients are listed in a chain in (....) that means they were combined, and " cake" means baked of some sort.
    It really does look good. I am NOT easy to impress ( as you all know.. ) and so let me know how it goes. Galina soon will be bred, and she may need an additive. You got me interested- and I love the fact you do raw so that is more on the same plane of what I do to see if there is any changes.. The product I was considering for Galina was called " Structure" but yours looks like a broader base immune system support- and I like your choice better.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Raw or fermented flax will make gas in the intestine.

Ah, gotcha. I sent this information to my vet, too, to get her thoughts. She feeds raw to all of her pets, too and was the person who initially told me about the raw diet. I'll let you know what she says, too and ask her what her thoughts on flax are.

I will let you know how the dogs do with this new supplement.
    Last edited by finn's mom; 02-23-2007 at 10:28 AM.

Ah, gotcha. I sent this information to my vet, too, to get her thoughts. She feeds raw to all of her pets, too and was the person who initially told me about the diet. I'll let you know what she says, too and ask her what her thoughts on flax are.

I will let you know how the dogs do with this new supplement.
    Please do me a favor- since your vet feeds this and knows the supplement- as well as feed raw ( my vets feed raw too but may not know this supplement like your vet does)- would you please ask your vet if she feels this would also be a good addition to a bitch in whelp. She may see something in it I cant.. pm me what she says.. ( and I posting this question here because others might have a bitch in whelp as well to know to check all supplements during this time..) BTW- Galina is in excellent health and weight etc.

I've never heard of that before but it sounds pretty good.

I add this to Kia and Chipper's diet.

Seameal Powder w/ Flaxseed Meal

Product Description
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Seameal contains 60 trace minerals, 12 vitamins, 22 amino acids, digestive enzymes, and flaxseed meal. We recommend using Seameal with all our foods.

Protein, Min. 9%
    Fat, Min. 10%
    Fiber, Max. 13%
    Moisture, Max. 12.2%

Ingredients
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dried Seaweed Meal | Flaxseed Meal | Dehydrated Lemon Powder | Carotene | Chlorophyll | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Dried Asparagus Oryzae Fermentation Product | Dried Asperigillus Niger Fermentation Product | Pineapple | Lactose |
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Flaxseed meal is safe. Its already been crushed and less likly to ferment in the digestion.
    YOur suggestion is a good one ramanth.Sea meal is good stuff.
    I am so glad this came up. I have been working on getting the best supplement I can for Galina. Sighthounds are prone to thyroid problems- usually started by a weakend immune system. Its not in their lines, and I have test Galina twice now- once when we got her- about a month ago, and whill again when she comes into heat. ( the hormone system can stress the thyroid so I want another check. )

would you please ask your vet if she feels this would also be a good addition to a bitch in whelp. She may see something in it I cant.. pm me what she says.. ( and I posting this question here because others might have a bitch in whelp as well to know to check all supplements during this time..) BTW- Galina is in excellent health and weight etc.
    Have you heard of this supplement?

Solid Gold Concept-a-Bitch

Concept-a-Bitch is a dietary supplement for brood bitches prior to breeding, during pregnancy, and nursing. This supplement is often used for bitches who have had previous pregnancy problems or older bitches.

Made with Wild Yam, which is a natural source of progesterone, a hormone necessary to maintain pregnancy. Also contains SeaMeal, to support the hormone system, helping to prevent hair loss in bitches who tend to lose their coats after whelping. 1 lb. jar (sufficient for one pregnancy in a medium sized dog).

Analysis:
    Protein, Min. 19%
    Fat, Min. 5%
    Fiber, Max. 12%
    Moisture, Max. 7%

Ingredients:
    Red Raspberry Leaves, Dried Seaweed Meal, Common Fennel, Lysine, Wild Yam, Peppermint, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid

Feeding Guidlines:
    For use before breeding and during pregnancy and nursing. Begin 2 weeks prior to breeding and continue until puppies are 6 weeks of age.

up to 10 lbs - 1/8 tsp daily
    up to 25 lbs - 1/4 tsp daily
    up to 50 lbs - 1/2 tsp daily
    up to 75 lbs - 3/4 tsp daily
    100 lbs and oover - 1 tsp daily

Please keep in mind that response to supplements varies by individual. If your pets symptoms worsen or change in any way that concerns you, discontinue use of any supplements and contact your veterinarian.

When introducing any new supplement, it is wise to start with a lower than recommended dose and build up over the course of several days to a week. Only introduce one supplement at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth
    Have you heard of this supplement?

Solid Gold Concept-a-Bitch

Concept-a-Bitch is a dietary supplement for brood bitches prior to breeding, during pregnancy, and nursing. This supplement is often used for bitches who have had previous pregnancy problems or older bitches.

Made with Wild Yam, which is a natural source of progesterone, a hormone necessary to maintain pregnancy. Also contains SeaMeal, to support the hormone system, helping to prevent hair loss in bitches who tend to lose their coats after whelping. 1 lb. jar (sufficient for one pregnancy in a medium sized dog).

Analysis:
    Protein, Min. 19%
    Fat, Min. 5%
    Fiber, Max. 12%
    Moisture, Max. 7%

Ingredients:
    Red Raspberry Leaves, Dried Seaweed Meal, Common Fennel, Lysine, Wild Yam, Peppermint, Beta Carotene, Folic Acid

Feeding Guidlines:
    For use before breeding and during pregnancy and nursing. Begin 2 weeks prior to breeding and continue until puppies are 6 weeks of age.

up to 10 lbs - 1/8 tsp daily
    up to 25 lbs - 1/4 tsp daily
    up to 50 lbs - 1/2 tsp daily
    up to 75 lbs - 3/4 tsp daily
    100 lbs and oover - 1 tsp daily

Please keep in mind that response to supplements varies by individual. If your pets symptoms worsen or change in any way that concerns you, discontinue use of any supplements and contact your veterinarian.

When introducing any new supplement, it is wise to start with a lower than recommended dose and build up over the course of several days to a week. Only introduce one supplement at a time.
    Yes I have. Its another one I am looking into. My last litter of shepherds with 6 pups, did well on this. And she was 5 years old when she had the pups. No problems- but older female. I wonder what beta carotine as the source- do you know??

I know beta carotene is found in fruits and vegetables. I googled:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_carotene

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth
    I know beta carotene is found in fruits and vegetables. I googled:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_carotene
    I know the types of beta carotine- I was wondering which one ( single) or did they combine- and which ones are they.. I looked into Structure because it also has calcium and phosphorus.
    Its funny ya know- even with all the litters I have had, I still worry over every single one.. lol. ( now you know where the grey hairs came from.. lol. )

Please do me a favor- since your vet feeds this and knows the supplement- as well as feed raw
    I should have worded that differently. She feeds the raw diet, but I have no idea if she has ever even heard of this supplement that I bought. That's why I'm going to send her the information I provided in the initial post, to get her thoughts on it. I'm going to edit my post, now. But, i will ask her what she thinks of it and if she thinks it would be good for your girl.

I should have worded that differently. She feeds the raw diet, but I have no idea if she has ever even heard of this supplement that I bought. That's why I'm going to send her the information I provided in the initial post, to get her thoughts on it. I'm going to edit my post, now. But, i will ask her what she thinks of it and if she thinks it would be good for your girl.
    Okay- and I will ask my vets as well..

Okay- and I will ask my vets as well..
    I haven't gotten a reply from my vet, but it's the first time I've ever actually tried to communicate with her via email. I will find out soon if I even have the address correct.