Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prince Harry

I'm just reminded that Harry's grandfather was in the navy when he and now Queen Elizabeth met. There is a sweet story of her crying when he left on a ship before they got married.

Duty runs in the family!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by sparks19
    I think you should all wait and see what he will actually be doing over there before slinging around accusations that he will be living the highlife in Iraq. Do you know what his regiment is scheduled to do? do you know what his regiments mission is? or are you just assuming? I'm pretty sure if his regiment was being sent there and they knew he was just going for a free ride they would have something to say about it. Most platoons I have ever known would not tolerate anyone half a$$ing it no matter who they are.
    Um, you don't know that either, but with even less evidence you are insisting he is going to be on the front line, more or less. I think common sense and politics very strongly suggest otherwise.

And peer soldiers in the military really have very little say over who goes with them or how hard they work, so I really don't think any platoon member would be sticking their neck out to bad mouth him or not 'tolerate' him. Superiors tend not to take it very well when you make waves. Plus, maybe they appreciate any token effort enough, or are simply used to a very class-conscious military, and are willing to tolerate a nice kid who just happened to catch a better break than them this time.

You are insisting there is nothing to be upset about, but you seem more upset and personally invested in Harry than anything anyone else is discussing. I recognized I needed to chill, and took a breather. I also suggest you realize that no one is really attacking Harry, and even if we were it is nothing personal against you.

3. he is part of the royal family but he does not stand to inherit the throne.
    He is third in line for the throne...behind Charles and William.....

I say....bring them ALL home....

Thanks for the great post, that was so interesting to read.I really admire this kid's tenacity and wanting to go to Iraq. I think the Royals get fed up being Royals and he just wants to be part of his bunch. Both have suffered so much over Diana's death, that I think it has grounded them to reality. Who knows if he isn't privately doing it for his mum's memory? Whatever his reasons, I admire him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophist
    Um, you don't know that either, but with even less evidence you are insisting he is going to be on the front line, more or less. I think common sense and politics very strongly suggest otherwise.

And peer soldiers in the military really have very little say over who goes with them or how hard they work, so I really don't think any platoon member would be sticking their neck out to bad mouth him or not 'tolerate' him. Superiors tend not to take it very well when you make waves. Plus, maybe they appreciate any token effort enough, or are simply used to a very class-conscious military, and are willing to tolerate a nice kid who just happened to catch a better break than them this time.

You are insisting there is nothing to be upset about, but you seem more upset and personally invested in Harry than anything anyone else is discussing. I recognized I needed to chill, and took a breather. I also suggest you realize that no one is really attacking Harry, and even if we were it is nothing personal against you.

My post suggests I am worked up? I guess we are reading the post in totally different mind sets LOL. The only thing I am worked up about right now is a hockey game LOL. Besides I don't recall saying he would be on the front line... only that he will not be a desk jockey getting a safe a cushy place to relax for his service.

I have done some reading since this news because I did not believe that he would see any action but they seem very adamant that he will see the same action as the rest of his regiment.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...1/nharry01.xml
    (let me know if this link works for you because the second time I went to it nothing would come up but it did point out that his regiment would be patrolling the Iran border)

Here is another http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070217...q_070217031032

I have also heard this on many other news networks and read it in a few different places. Now to me .... that doesn't sound like the safest place to be.

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegra...001021,00.html

There are more links but I think this is enough for now.

As for soldiers not having a say..... hehe that may be true but I have heard quite differently from my husband and his experiences in the army. They may not have much influence in what they say but there are MANY ways to make their service.... unbearable. and while it is "not allowed" I have heard stories of "violence" against slackers in the army from their fellow soldiers. While I am sure they keep an eye on Harry.... he can't hide from his fellow soldiers if he isn't doing the work. I don't know any soldier that puts up with slackers.... slackers are the most dangerous soldiers to be with..... and if their actions are less than stellar and could result in dangerous actions that could harm another soldier it is not tolerated.

And as I said.... he currently does not stand to inherit the throne. He is third in line ... yes but even being third... that is a long line

I'm actually most interested to see how my Grandmother feels about this. She is from London, England and has always loved and followed the Royal family. I wonder what she is thinking right now.

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

6. Quote Originally Posted by sparks19
    And as I said.... he currently does not stand to inherit the throne. He is third in line ... yes but even being third... that is a long line
    Third in line is not in line. Wow.....I am not one for standing in line but even I am willing to stand in a line with only two in front of me....

I thought this was pretty commendable when I heard it on the radio yesturday. Way to go Prince Harry! You'll be added to the prayers I say for all the troops out there.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...