Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *Journal* Raising Queen's Babies

*Journal* Raising Queen's Babies

So today is I think the fifth day since Queen has had her eggs and now they are all hatched! I have been feeding them several times a day and changing the water regularly. And have lots of oxygen going in for them. I keep looking at them all the time to make sure they aren't dying. And so far there is still about 10 or more babies that are very alive and swimming around and eating! I'm so happy. So far everything is going right. Here is a pic of the little tank they are in.

As I warned before..the tank is really nothing to look at lol, there's no gravel or many plants, its basically just a plain tank with the bubbler in it and the babies and a few floating plants. But I got a couple of pics of the tank. I tried to take a pic of some babies but they are still yet too small for a camera to pick up. Soon they will be bigger I think they are suppose to grow to a bigger size by two weeks. Here is the little tank.

Once the babies are big enough that I can move them and not hurt any of them, I will set up the tank with some gravel and more plants and make it pertier, but right now I would crush many babies if I tried to put gravel in lol.

Oh I was also wondering. My bubbler creates quite a current in the tank that the little babies have a hard time swimming against, so they stick to the plants and wall...is the current too hard on them, should I take it away or will they be fine?

Thanks everyone for all the help! I keep finding more babies swimming around in the fifty gallon too...and everytime I see one helplessly swimming around in there I catch him with a cup and put him gently into the baby tank

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Aww, I bet they're cute! =]
    I've never raised fish from that little, so I'm not sure what to suggest about the bubbler.. maybe just make sure there is plenty of plants to decrease the strength of the current. Though I'm sure someone else can give you better advise.

Either way, Good luck! I look forward to seeing the little guys once they're a bit older.

The filters I have used had an adjustment so you could control the amount of the flow.

If you don't have that type of filter, maybe you can set it up so that it is close to a wall and the harshest of the flow goes into the wall and richoches (sp?) off to keep the rest of the tank moving and aerated. That may be easier for them to handle.

Can yopu send pictures of them--I've never seen baby goldfish before! My angel fish laid eggs and they hatched about 2 months ago, but they grow soooo slow. /can you keep the GF babies in with the mom? Our mom angel fish won't eat her babies...they have grown a lot though and look like teeny tiny angel fish!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Is it just an air stone attached to an air pump?
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

How exciting! I can't wait until the babies are big enough to get good pictures! How lucky they will be if they are half as pretty as Queen.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Gold fish eat their babies so... Well, queen may not, but the other fish in the tank may.....

OH yeah Goldfish definately eat their babies, that's why I took them out and put them in a their own tank...and everytime I see one swimming around in the 55 gallon I take it out with a cup and put it gently into the baby tank with the others

Yeah its just a air tube attached to a stone that the bubbles come out of, I have it in the corner, but it still creates quite a current.

And yes I would definately show pics of the babies if I could, but they are almost microscopic, the camera can't pick them up they are way to small. I had a dream last night about them growing though, they were very pretty in my dream lol.

Kalei

One ((girl)) can be named princess!!!! lol

I know I have the best names, pretty much on earth

ooo *waiting for baby fish pics*

For the bubbler, could you put it inside something to help deflect some of the current, like some kind of fishtank accessory? My bubbler is inside a log with holes on the sides so the bubbles come out from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Frog
    ooo *waiting for baby fish pics*

For the bubbler, could you put it inside something to help deflect some of the current, like some kind of fishtank accessory? My bubbler is inside a log with holes on the sides so the bubbles come out from there.
    Actually I didn't know why i hadn't thought of that in the first place. When I got home from work today I took a clear pipe and put the bubbler inside it, that way the bubbles come out the top of the pipe and don't create such a current throughout the whole tank.

I got some bad news...remember Little Guy?

Well today I had taken the bottom end of the filter tube off to accomodate it to my fish's needs. I had to cut some bigger wholes in it so that Queen humougous poops can get sucked up it. Anyways, I had the bottom end off for only a second, and when I looked next my little guy was swimming towards the tube that was a big wide opening and he got sucked up it I could hear the poor fish getting cut by the fan and quickly as I could shut off the filter. LIttle guy came back down the tube and he was still all together and wasn't cut or anything, but a wack of his scales have been shaved right off of him. And his tail has been sliced a lot. I feel so sad and so bad. I didn't know he was sooo small and weak that he would be sucked right up like that. That's one problem with having such a small fish in with such huge fish. I don't know if he'll make it or not, he's just kind of floating about and breathing and swimming slowly...I hope he heals and makes it

As for some good news. I came home from work today and immediately went to look at my baby fishies. What I saw was awesome! Instead of them sticking to things and hiding in plants. There were like 10 or 15 babies all swimming around happily! That means that they must be getting stronger and able to swim around for longer And they are a tiny bit bigger too. I was very happy.

Also another good news is that I saved 4 more babies from the 55 gallon and got them into the baby tank

But I really hope Little Guy will be alright, poor little thing..I can't imagine the pain he must be in Please pray for him.

Kalei

Oh No!! the poor little guy I'll keep my fingers crossed that he heals up quickly!

Get a plain sponge (clean) or one made specifically as filter media and a clean rubber band. Fold the sponge in half around the air stone and rubber band it in place. This will weaken the current. This is basically what a sponge filter is, a sponge around an air stone.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Get a plain sponge (clean) or one made specifically as filter media and a clean rubber band. Fold the sponge in half around the air stone and rubber band it in place. This will weaken the current. This is basically what a sponge filter is, a sponge around an air stone.
    Great Idea, I will look into it, I don't get paid til next week so next week I'll look for a sponge!

Kalei

Hey! Your prayers must have worked because Little Guy is feeling much better today! I woke up and he is swimming around so happily like nothing ever happened. I am scared about one thing though. Where his fin got so many slices in it I hope he doesn't get the fin rotting disease, I've had fish that if their tail gets hurt, they get the disease, and I don't want him too I hope he doesn't and it just keeps healing

Also, today the babies are amazingly good They are all out and swimming all over the tank and they have gotten a tiny bit bigger, still not big enough for a camera to pick up any good, but big enough that they are much stronger and swimming much longer. I can't wait til they get a little more bigger so I can take pics of the them

Kalei