Thread: Sensitive Stomach?

Sensitive Stomach?

My 11 1/2 month old Pit/Lab mix (a massive, destructive chewer) got rather sick about three weeks ago. At about nine in the morning, she jumped off the bed (slept the entire night with me, like normal) and proceeded to vomit her sweet little head off. In the course of me going to get something to clean it with and my return to her, she also defecated. Then I realized that she was completely unresponsive.

On the hurried 3 minute drive to the vets (after lowering the seat in my crapolla and carrying her limp 55 lbs booty down a flight of stairs), she came to a bit and was more responsive to me. While I was alerting the vet techs that I was bringing in an emergency and what her symptoms were, she defecated again.

X-rays were taken, shots were given, and medication was prescribed. While paying the bill in the lobby, my sweet Savannah had an accident in the lobby that was so severe (mucus and blood) that the vet kept her for the afternoon. Blood was taken and she was started on an IV. She ended up spending the night at the vets'. The blood work showed a secondary infection, the explanation of which was a rip in her intestines. She ran her course of medication and seemed to be doing well enough, until last week.

She had massive diarrhea and threw up almost everything she'd had in her. After another trip to the vets (and Savannah still loves them!), the vet informed me that she had a sensitive stomach and would be on special food for the rest of her life.

Now, my questions are these: has anyone ever dealt with this? Do y'all think this is something she'll grow out of, or should I go ahead and invest in the 50 lbs bags ? And, finally, what toys are appropriate for a chewer with a sensitive stomach? She can't have ropes or plastics.

Quote Originally Posted by starredeffect
    Do y'all think this is something she'll grow out of, or should I go ahead and invest in the 50 lbs bags ?

I think with any food change, medically necessary or not, always start out with a small bag of food for a while. Some animals may not like a specialty diet, or may eat up the first bag fine then snub it. If you get a small bag you're not stuck with a ton of uneaten food if it turns out she doesn't like that brand. JMHO

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I agree with the buy a small bag at first. I learned this the hard way with my cat!!
    As for toys, I would suggest a knuckle bone, I guess that's what it's called, like the one pictured here with Zoee. She loves it and it has lasted almost two years so far. There are barely any teeth marks in it and it costs less than $10. She chews and chews on that thing and all it does is squeak from her teeth rubbing on the rubber. I got hers at Petsmart.

[IMG][/IMG]

Good Luck, and I hope Savannah gets well and stays well!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

4 days after adopting Chipper, he started vomiting, having bloody diarreha, was dehydrated and lethargic. Classic symptoms for parvo which had me very concerned.

After many tests were taken, it was found that he had very high levels of intestinal bacteria as well as his TLI level being low, meaning that he didn't have pancreatitis but is a susceptible candidate for it.

Pretty much he has a very sensitive digestive tract. The wrong food or treats can make him ill for days.

The vets at the emergency clinic suggested Eukanuba Sensitive Stomach which is a perscription diet and can be very expensive. Is this what your vet suggested?

We are currently feeding Chipper Solid Golds Holistique Blendz. We also mix in their Seameal Supplement and add Flaxseed oil.

Any treats given are all natural.

We let him play with ropes and plastic toys, but we keep an eye on it. He's not massively destructive, but he did get sick after swallowing a piece of tennis ball. If the toy starts to break down, we throw it away.

I would suggest toys like Kong or Cuz. They are made of rubber and they have types that are made specially for aggressive chewers.

Like others have suggested, once you pick a food, start with a small bag or even a couple of sample packs. That way, if he gets sick on the food, you're not out a lot of money, and it's easier on his tummy to slowly intergrate the new food.

Good luck!!

Living with Chipper those first two months was like walking on egg shells. We never knew what would make him sick, but he's been fine for over a month and a half now.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

My Aunt adopted a doberman female who had a very sensitive stomach. It was her last chance home because she had been returned three times to the agency because of her stomach and allergies. Thats when he started feeding raw, and she does well on it. Just as a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by starredeffect
    My 11 1/2 month old Pit/Lab mix (a massive, destructive chewer) got rather sick about three weeks ago. At about nine in the morning, she jumped off the bed (slept the entire night with me, like normal) and proceeded to vomit her sweet little head off. In the course of me going to get something to clean it with and my return to her, she also defecated. Then I realized that she was completely unresponsive.

On the hurried 3 minute drive to the vets (after lowering the seat in my crapolla and carrying her limp 55 lbs booty down a flight of stairs), she came to a bit and was more responsive to me. While I was alerting the vet techs that I was bringing in an emergency and what her symptoms were, she defecated again.

X-rays were taken, shots were given, and medication was prescribed. While paying the bill in the lobby, my sweet Savannah had an accident in the lobby that was so severe (mucus and blood) that the vet kept her for the afternoon. Blood was taken and she was started on an IV. She ended up spending the night at the vets'. The blood work showed a secondary infection, the explanation of which was a rip in her intestines. She ran her course of medication and seemed to be doing well enough, until last week.

She had massive diarrhea and threw up almost everything she'd had in her. After another trip to the vets (and Savannah still loves them!), the vet informed me that she had a sensitive stomach and would be on special food for the rest of her life.

Now, my questions are these: has anyone ever dealt with this? Do y'all think this is something she'll grow out of, or should I go ahead and invest in the 50 lbs bags ? And, finally, what toys are appropriate for a chewer with a sensitive stomach? She can't have ropes or plastics.
    I'd start with a small bag in case it was not a sensitive stomach, but rather some undiagnosed metabolic or physical problem.

I agree with everyone else who said start with a small bag. Once you know it's what's right for her, go for the big one.

My aunt has a dog with an incredibly sensitive stomach from Irritable Bowel Disorder. She has to make certain nobody at the dog park gives him treats or he will be sick that night. She went through four different prescription diets before finding the one that works best for Levi, and she had a LOT of extra food that didn't work for him left over. She donated it to the shelter, but she could have saved a bit of money by starting with smaller bags.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Update

Well, I started out with a small bag of Science Diet, Sensitive Stomach. And that worked out okay, but her little movements weren't as solid as one would like. So we started trying Purina One, Sensitive Systems (she has a little dandruff, so I figured something for her skin wouldn't hurt). The first couple of nights she had to run out side a few hours after eating, but that stage successfully passed. She seems to be okay and I'll be super pleased if I can keep her on something over the counter.
    And my vet did recommend the Eukanuba, but still suggested I try some OTC. Sympathy on my college-student status and the growing debt on my credit card.
    The pictures are of Savannah when I first took her home (I personally thought she needed to spend more time with her Mom, but it was take her then or take her never) and a few months ago. She's a hard dog to keep still.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nanapuppy (3).JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	654.0 KB 
ID:	34440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nana.bmp 
Views:	61 
Size:	799.9 KB 
ID:	34441  

Starredeffect: I can definitely sympathize with poor college student syndrome. I start a job today and I'll be using my checks to pay off my vet bill credit card for awhile.

I'm really glad you found something that seems to be working for her though!!

Thank you Wolf_Q!