Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help my cat!

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to here that Marley seems to be doing better. I wouldn't worry too much as long as he's still eating and drinking and of course urinating. All fingers and paws are crossed here. Please continue to keep us updated.

Here's the latest Marley update:

He is finished with his Clavamox (Finally!) His energy level is pretty high right now, and he is enjoying his feather on a stick quite a bit.

As for food, he is sticking with the S/D dry, and munching on it a little bit at a time throughout the day. He's also drinking his water. I change his litterbox every day to encourage him to keep visiting it.

We will see our vet again in 2 weeks (gotta make the appointment today, in fact) where Marley will have his urine checked for crystals. At that time the doctor may start him on a Eukanuba food.

Thank you for all of your advice and good wishes for Marley. I will certainly keep you updated as time goes on.

Love,
    me

Marley

Just wanted to send some positive thoughts Marley's way. Marley seems to be a pretty young cat, so hopefully he will get past this problem with flying colors!! Can't wait to see his picture! Meows from the Hopster
    Spencer's Mom

Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat
    August 14, 1986 - June 15 2004
    Thank you so much for the siggies, PCB & Kfamr

* * I've Been Frosted * *

see if you can make him drink as much as possible (WATER), this should also help a lot.

Perhaps a strong martini would do the trick as well! LOL...(kidding!)
    Calvin & Hobbes mom

Originally posted by MissMeow
    see if you can make him drink as much as possible (WATER), this should also help a lot.

Perhaps a strong martini would do the trick as well! LOL...(kidding!)
    Ha ha ha, there are two Miss Meows! I nearly fell over when I saw a post from me on 6 July, when I hadn't even been near the site for days! But you don't have a space in your user name. Welcome!
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

If your regular vet doesn't seem to be able to help you you can always try asking another vet about what to do. I have my favorite regular vet, but when it comes to some problems I'm often not happy with her diagnosis or treatment. Ive taken my cats to other vets then to get the help my furry friends need.

How long did you give your cat to get use to the food? It may take a while. I would try for a good 4 days and watch and see if he is eating a bit more every day. Sometimes they warm up to a food once they know its all their getting.

Also, Ive had cats turn down Science Diet, but when I tried a brand called Selective Care they ate it right up. Your vet could help you get the right formula from Selective Care since they make many for many different health problems.
    Please keep us informed and good luck!
    *Cats are like Jello, there's always room for more.*

urinary tract troubles -- struvite crystals

Hi,

My two dogs and one of my cats are all afflicted with struvite crystals --- (overly alkaline urine which causes such crystals to form in the urinary tract). I will relate to you my experience in laborious detail, as I have given this problem lots of consideration and have sought and finally found a solution, and not a "masking" of symptoms with anti-inflammatories, antibiotics, etc.

According to Vet #1, the struvites "happened" because of the the diet they were on. That was his theory. I considered what I was feeding them appropriate, or top end. However, this problem surfaced about one year after we moved to an area where the drinking water was overly alkaline. (Interestingly enough, another vet in this area told me that the bovine and cows around here are also suffering from this kind of problem. Only a theory here, but is it possible that such a high pH of the water, would be a contributing factor to the problem ???) So, the damage was done. What to do now ? First off, I started giving my cat bottled drinking water, as I did not know the pH of our household water. At least with the bottled one, I know the pH is around 6, which I am told is desirable.

Next, my cat was not eating either. He was on antibiotics, and anti-inflammatories.... Would you be hungry if your digestive system was being bombarded with such stuff? Maybe your beautiful puddy cat was not on this stuff, but the mere fact that he suffered such a traumatic experience (difficulty urinating, being swept away to the vet's, examined by unfamiliar hands, concerned parents (you and hubby), cats pick up our emotions, worries, etc.....), in my opinion is enough to get him off his food. So I resorted to my arsenal, and responded with Bach Flower remedies. These are homeopathic dilutions which address emotional states. For my Puddy cat, I gave him a combination for the trauma he had just lived....and the confusion he must be experiencing...(Hey, if these dilutions address human emotions, who is going to tell me that they do not work for animals....They sure do...) Not long thereafter, my cat's appetite returned. He seemed to lose the worriedness about him, and regained his self-confidence. Next, I stopped giving him the 'meds' -- playing with fire here, but hey...

A tip for trying to get him to eat: heat up the canned food in the micro-wave. It worked for me. But to tell you the truth, I did not stay on it a long time --- the food the vet put him on. I went to a brand with low ash, and same %of protein as the vet food. But one thing I "did" change, or add, was feeding him canned food at least once a day. With this problem (struvites), getting enough liquid into the feline is critical...This is stated in Natural Health for cats and dogs, by Dr. Pitcairn. Here I am 3.5 years after the onset of the problem, and all is well.

I sought alternative solutions, as I could not understand how food would so to speak 'dissolve' the crystals. I consulted a homeopathic vet (a little skeptical I must admit). He examined my four-legged baby and studied a copy of the urine analysis done by Vet #1. He then gave me something which would: reduce inflammation of the urinary tract (thus easing the passage of urine), help with the pain, help dissolve the struvites , and the list goes on and on. I left there with instructions on how to administer the homeopathic drops orally and kept my fingers crossed. When I asked when I should return, he said in 12 months. I could not believe my ears.

Within days, my baby was back to his old self.. Running around, hunting, peeing, pooing, etc. A couple of months later, I returned to Vet #1, and had a urine sample done. Believe it or not, the struvites had diminished dramatically. The vet said he had never seen such a drastic change in so short a time, and that my little one was responding extremely well to the special food he had been put on....

So, all this to say, that I do go back to the homeopathic vet once a year, in the Fall, to get an anti-struvite, toning remedy. And all has been well ever since.

Hope this has helped you....Do not despair. All will be well, and keep checking the litter box.

Kisses to your Puddy cat, from mine.
    Animal lover.