Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog left alone during the day

Thanks for the tip, Sudilar! I'll check that place out. I don't think it's TOO far away. And we definitely want to save a life.

I have a female Yorkshire Terrier that I got as a puppy. I also am gone about 9 hours a day. Tiffany has her Kitty Cat sister to keep her company so she's not alone all day.

I dual trained her. She weighs 5-1/2 lbs and female (so she doesnt lift her leg when she goes). That is I trained her to go outside and also to go on a wee wee pad that I keep in the bathroom. If she has to go while I'm at work she goes into the bathroom and does her business on the wee wee pad. Actually it works out great for me because I don't have to walk her in bad weather. She's a Princess and doesn't like to go out in the rain. lol

I kept her in a crate till she was about 1 year old. You can only do that with a small dog though.

I got Bella has an 8 week old puppy but I only worked part time so the most she was left in her crate during the day was 4-5 hrs. It was always clean. Even at night when we crated her for 8 hrs. the crate was clean in the morning. I am a firm believer in crate training until you can be sure your dog understands what is acceptable behavior (not just where to potty, but what to chew and what not to chew). My ex-daughter-in-law had a Pekingese who, at the age of 2-3 yrs. old, was going potty in the house occasionally while they were at work. I suggested a crate and that was the end of his accidents. He kept his crate clean through the day and he was not a puppy learning something new. He was about 3 yrears old and un-learning bad behavior. I too agree that an older dog might be more advisable in your situation. Good luck and please keep us up to date on your search for your new best friend!

You have already had a lot of replies and good advice, but I'll add anyway
    We have two lab mixes, Sadie, we got when she was 8 weeks, and Cincy when she was 6 weeks.

With Sadie, Ralph was home the first week. When he went back to work, she was crated from about 7:45am-4:15pm. It took her til she was 4 months til she could reliably make it all day without messing. Sadie is no longer crated. (She is now 20 mos.)

Cincy was in her crate from the beginning. For the first few weeks, Ralph would come home at lunch and let her out. most days that was enough for no crate messes. She was realibly making it all day by the time she was 2 1/2 or 3 mos. Cincy is still crated during the day, most days ( we are slowly trying to get her her freedom!) but not at night.

My parents have three dogs. Oreo, the oldest, we got as a puppy and she was trained almost immediatly. She was let out at lunch and then when we got home from school at 3. Dazzi, they got when she was 1 1/2 and she was almost housebroken. I don't think they ever had any issues with her having accidents at all. They recently got a puppy who is now 4 months old. They are home everyday at lunch, yet he still seems to have accidents in the afternoon in his crate.

Every dog is going to be different and even a housebroken dog may have some adjustment issues. But with traiing and patience, any dog can be house broken, even an older dog who wasn't previuosly.

Good luck !!!

Hi,

I would definately advise to adopt from your local ASPCA or shelter!

I got my baby, he was 9 months old, from a shelter...it was the BEST thing I have ever done in my life!!!!!!!!