View Poll Results: Yarn workers...Cloth workers

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • I knit or crochet

29 55.77%
  • I sew, quilt or do other needleworking(embroidery etc.)

19 36.54%
  • You wouldn't catch me dead doing that

5 9.62%
  • I do neither,but always wanted to.

10 19.23%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who else knits or crochets or sews?

Who else knits or crochets or sews?

I know there are a lot of PTers that are crafty , but which ones of us are needleworkers?

I knit,crochet and sew, however I do not quilt. Now and then I will do Crewel or embroidering for a change of pace. (no I dont use the machine although mine can do it, it is more relaxing to me the old fashioned hoop way!)

I thought we could start a thread to swap some patterns(with our corrections put in as we all know we tweak em! )

I was trying to figure out how to post a poll LOL but I have failed in the making of it rofl
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

ummm...when I was 22 (just a couple of years ago LOL), I decided to knit a scarf for my BF for Christmas. It started out with 40 stitches and ended with 60!

I think I'll stick to piano and doodling in my notebook at work....
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

wooohoot figured out the poll thingie!

Woo Hoo!! A knitting/needlework thread! Any and all of the above! I don't crochet or knit well, but i can passibly do. Im much better at sewing, needlepoint, cross stitch, etc

Its too bad you're not up here in TO, i'm going to a textile show this coming weekend that you'd prolly enjoy -- World of Threads 2007
    (yep, the 7-11 strikes again!)

ROFL GMTA miss 7-11!!!

Show looks wonderful! wish I could make it!

I quilt!! WHEN I ever get a new sewing machine.. I miss quilting and make clothes, pillow cases, bags, cat blankets .. cabin log is my favorite pattern .. see one here I made for my first niece (last picture) and I'm designing a new one!

my aunt knit/crochets all the time, always wondering how long it takes her to finish scarf, hat, sweater, blanket, etc.. she is so good!
    rest and sleep softly sweet locke..

Quote Originally Posted by sandragonfly
    I quilt!! WHEN I ever get a new sewing machine.. I miss quilting and make clothes, pillow cases, bags, cat blankets .. cabin log is my favorite pattern .. see one here I made for my first niece and I'm designing a new one!

my aunt knit/crochets all the time, always wondering how long it takes her to finish scarf, hat, sweater, blanket, etc.. she is so good!
    Beautiful quilt! but the baby is prettier!

As far as scarfs hats and baby blankets.........I was in hospital 5 full days and all 4 of my grandkids have new mittens hats and scarves! Nearly finished the blanket too!

wow..pretty fast. so, are they pretty easy? quilt vs knit..

I do not quilt....I have squares here from like 15 years ago when I thought I could be Laura Ingalls Wilder........I am not.LOL soooooooo for me crocheting is twice as fast as knitting, but knitting is very fast for me also. I adore sewing as my grandmother was a seamstress so we all learned at a very young age and I love the freedom in clothing it gives me.Along with new curtains, bedspreads, table cloths slipcovers etc.

I can sew but don't do it much.I hate to quilt.I have alwas wanted to learn to knit.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

I LOVE to sew. I wouldn't say that I'm fantastic at it, but I have made some pretty nice things. My current project is to make bugs for the walls in Leslie's (AdoreMyDogs) daughter's nursery!
    When I'm gone with those I plan on starting to build up an inventory of supplies and make/sell custom teddy bears... I don't know if that will ever get off of the ground but it is an idea

Tyler's baby blanket... with the amount of work that I put into this I don't plan on giving it to him until he is WAY past the baby stage

Close up of the pattern

Blanket I made from a kit- SO easy!

Curtains that I still need to hang up

Blanket that I made for my husband when he lived in Japan alone:

Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

I'm a quilter. I quilt whenever I have spare time. I have always been a craft person. I've done everything from A-Z over the years.

Missy: Those blankets look like what my Grandmother used to do. At that time, she called it weaving on Monk's cloth. Is that the same? I still have some of her work. It was fantastic. Your work is beautiful too.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Does double knotting my son's shoes count?

I would love to learn to knit or crochet, as it seems both these activites can be done quietly, in front of a TV, and while talking to others. I cannot stand simply sitting on the couch watching TV!

I do have a lovely sewing machine- I have used it for making cat toys. Exclusively. LOL.

super easy pattern for warm comfies for the feets!

This is made with worsted weight yarn...however I have made them with everything from sport weight(baby yarn) to chenille and wools. These fly off your needles are brilliant for beginners, and for experienced knitters you can make a few pairs in a day.

You will need 2 colors of yarn to have a contrast, or 2 skeins of the same color if you prefer them that way
    sizes are so you can read the parentheses Childs S-M-L Adults S-M-L

1st color{3.5-4-4.5} ounces of yarn{4.5-5-5}
    2nd color{1.5-1.5-1.5}{2-2-2}
    knitting needles sze 7 ( I use a 5 on the childs small)
    Entire boot is worked holding 2 strands of yarn together.

Gauging (yes I still do this)
    with two strands done in a garter stitch (kniting each row) 16 stitches =4"

Sole
    with two strands held together (both the same color) cast on
    {60-64-68} {72-76-80}

work in garter stich until there are {7-7-8} {8-9-9} ridges (dont count the bottom edge )

Sides (cut one strand and add your other color)
    Row 1 (eyelet row)
    K2 YO K2 together, knit across to last 4 stitches K2 tog. YO K2
    Row 2(decrease row)
    K4, slP2 tog purl across to last 6 stiches, P2 tog thru back loop (tbl) K4 {58-62-66}{70-74-78}
    Row 3 (dec row)
    K4 slip 1 as if to knit, K1 PSSO (pass slipped stitch over) knit across to last 6 stiches K2 tog. K4 {56-60-64}{68-72-76}
    Row 4 (dec. row)
    Same as row 2
    {54-58-62}{66-70-74}
    Row 5 (dec AND eyelet row)

K2 ,YO ,K2 tog. slip 1as if to knit,K1 PSSO, knit across to last 6 K2 tog TWICE, YO,YO, K2
    {52-56-60}{64-68-72}

Repeat rows 2-5 {1-2-3}{1-2-3} times
    {44-40-36}{56-52-48}

Repeat rows 2-4 ONCE
    {38-34-30}{50-46-42}

Repeat rows 1-4 {2-1-0}{3-2-1}

Cuff
    Cut other yarn add in yarn from sole color
    Row 1 (eyelet row)
    K2,YO,K2 tog, knit across to last 4 K2 tog, YO, K2
    Rows 2-4 knit across

Rows 5-8
    Repeat rows 1-4
    bind off all stitches, fold in half sew up bottom and toe seam weave in ends!

You can use a twisted cording you make yourself for the laces or a matching ribbon.

I will post a few pics of some of the pairs I have made as soon as the laundry is finished LOL, they wash and dry like a CHARM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic
    Does double knotting my son's shoes count?

I would love to learn to knit or crochet, as it seems both these activites can be done quietly, in front of a TV, and while talking to others. I cannot stand simply sitting on the couch watching TV!

I do have a lovely sewing machine- I have used it for making cat toys. Exclusively. LOL.
    LOL yes! it counts.

There is a really great book out there called teach yourself to knit in a day, I will find it on Joannes site, super easy I am told and very easy to follow!
    I learned the hard way! by watching my great aunts needles fly, one took pity on me and taught me how when i was around 12. learned to crochet in the Girl Scouts