Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Queen & Tank Buddies in the new 55 Gallon! *Updated* Queen had babies!

Congrats. 75F is good for the babies. They will grow a little faster and healthier in warm water. I now keep all of my goldfish at 78 as any illness shows up faster. Seaking might be a girl, it can take a while for some females to start laying eggs.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Congrats to Queen!!!
    I bet they are so cute.
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

Congrats! How exciting! I wish my goldfish would have had babies when it I had them. Good thing you got a bigger tank! Are you going to keep on the babies, or how are you going to find homes for them?
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Hehe thanks so much everyone! My baby tank is anywhere between 75 and 78 so I'm doing good Thanks so much.

Also, I don't plan on keeping the babies just for the fact that there is the amount of fish that I should have in my 55 gallon now and it would be full if I put anymore fish in. And my dad won't let me have any more aquariums than my big one. He got a little annoyed tonight when he saw my baby tank lol. Oh well.

But I plan on growing the babies and see if any of my friends wants a couple (of course the friend must know how to look after fish) and also if I have lots that grow up, then I can put them all free in a nice pond of my friends. She has a goldfish pond which is where I got my Sir Knight goldfish from. Beki might want one too if she likes them.

Also I may see if the pet store would like them...although I'm not too fond of selling them to a petstore yet. I may not do that.

All in all I'm just going to hope they grow up big and healthy

Kalei
    I will love you forever Bobo

Um yeah you could ship some to Florida hehe!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatata6
    Um yeah you could ship some to Florida hehe!!
    lol I'm going to guess that is where you live lol. Can fish actually be shipped? I've never heard of shipping fish before.

Kalei

Where do you think pet stores get there fish? They are all shipped because petstores don't take your own fish. Or at least my petsmart and petco doesn't. There is a lot of online fish stores that have to ship over night. I have a friend who only gets fish from the quality fish stores only, unfortuanly none are around here, so they have to be shipped.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Quote Originally Posted by Flatcoatluver
    Where do you think pet stores get there fish? They are all shipped because petstores don't take your own fish. Or at least my petsmart and petco doesn't. There is a lot of online fish stores that have to ship over night. I have a friend who only gets fish from the quality fish stores only, unfortuanly none are around here, so they have to be shipped.
    Oh cool! Well I wasn't sure if they were shipped or not. There is one petstore close by me and the owner there is really good friends with me and give me great discounts. And she has taken fish from people before. But that's also because she is really nice and wants to help people. If I knew how to ship a fish in one day safely I wouldn't mind doing it. I would just be afraid of the bag breaking on the way.

Kalei

Local stores usually buy fish from people, but chain store like petco and petsmart do not. It is against their policy. Fish are often shipped. A few people on here have gotten bettas. I'd love to be able to afford some of the $300 goldfish on fishsempai which would be shipped. Goldfish have quite a few more shipping regulations when coming into the country than others because they can spread disease and people like to release them. If you were able to ship them to Florida, you would not want to claim them as goldfish. Any other legal fish would be ok. You'd want to ship the fish in a bag and the bag would be inside a styrofoam cooler so it would be safer. I've never shipped an animal though.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Nice pics, and pretty fish! I have the exact same tank and stand, BTW.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog
    Nice pics, and pretty fish! I have the exact same tank and stand, BTW.
    Wow! That's so cool! We're twins! Just kidding lol.

So the babies are all eating great and everything, but because of the liquid food the water is seriously foggy. does anybody know if I should change some water and add new water? And how many times should I do this. I'ts going to be hard doing it without getting a baby, but I know I can.

Originally I filled the baby tank with the 55 gallons water so that the water wasn't new. Should I once and awhile change the water from the 55 gallon?

And do the babies need oxygen? Should I put a bubble maker in there? lol sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the positive thoughts guys! You all are awesome!

Kalei

Yes, change the water often, some people do daily changes. Be sure the new water is the same temp and is dechlorinated. No need to use the water from te 55 gallon, there is nothing beneficial in that water and there will be less oxygen in the used water. A sponge filter would be good as it won't suck up the babies. Its basically a sponge padding that goes around the air stone from the bubbler.

Quote Originally Posted by IRescue452
    Yes, change the water often, some people do daily changes. Be sure the new water is the same temp and is dechlorinated. No need to use the water from te 55 gallon, there is nothing beneficial in that water and there will be less oxygen in the used water. A sponge filter would be good as it won't suck up the babies. Its basically a sponge padding that goes around the air stone from the bubbler.
    Thanks! Today at lunch I went home and changed the water for my fishies, and they look fine so far. I'm at work so I really don't know until I get home. But alot more are moving around now. There had to be at least 10 in there that were up by the top eating and what not. It's so cute. And man is it hard and annoying to try and take water out without getting a fishy lol, but I was patient and didn't get any little fishy while I changed the water I haven't got any bubble or filter in yet, but tonight I should be able to get a sponge filter and/or bubble maker at wal-mart or Pets Unlimited.

I really hope I can keep this up! It's exciting, and I already have a man I know wanting a couple once they are big. He wants a couple goldfish that will grow big and if they are from Queen then they will most likely grow big like her.

I was wondering, are fry hard to keep alive?

Kalei

Congrats on your new little fishies!! How cute is that

Once they get big enough, you have to post some pictures!

At a young age fry can be fragile. But with the care you are putting in I'd expect a 75% survival rate, which is the high end. I can't keep anything under 2-3 months alive at all right now because with college and such I can only give them minimal care.