Thread: Traveling with the cat

Traveling with the cat

Hi e-1
    I'm new to this blog, but not to this site. I have Pet of the Day on my desktop to look at everymorning.
    My question is this: My husband and I are retiring and going to be traveling to Arizona from Ohio (2,000 miles). We will be gone for a month, so we want to take our cat along. Problem is the male cat is 15 y.o. and the only time he's been out of the house or in a car is to go to the vet.
    Any ideas on transporting him? We will drive or fly.
    Thanks a bunch.
    Julie

There are a few things you need to consider.

Flying with a pet, the pet has to have a vet certificate, signed within 10 days of the flight. Each airline has its own spcific rules, the larger guidelines - like the certificate - are set by the FAA. Most airlines have a link on their website for the specifics. If you take the cat in the cabin with you as a carry on, be aware that they only allow 2 pets per flight (some only 1!), and the size and type of the carrier are very specific. Pets can NOT be sedated when they fly.

If you are driving, I suggest you start now getting the cat used to car travel. Start with short trips around the block. If you have a petco / petsmart near you, or other pet store that allows pets, go there.

You may find it easier if you have the cat used to a harness and leash as well.

Here is a website with info about pet friendly motels, travelling with pet, etc. (It happens to be a dog web site, so it says Fido, but you will find it helpful.) Scroll down and look on the right hand column for Dog Travel.
    http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/index....ational%20mark

Hi Julie and welcome to Pet Talk! Funny you posting this at this time. I just went to Florida this past week end to get my Mama's 10 year old cat. (Mama died in 99) My sister has had her since Mama died and they are planning to move from Florida to Washington State and thought she was to old to make that trip. Since I have always wanted her, I jumped at the chance to get her.

I would not attempt to drive or fly with a 15 year old but that is ME. Kitty Boo amazed me on the 4 to 5 hour trip back to my house and how comfortable she is here since arriving so I am not the one to offer any advice but personally, I wouldn't do it. Did I confuse you enough?

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Do you have anyone trustworthy who would look after the kitty for a month? Travel may be pretty stressful for an older cat. Our 3 cats absolutely hate to travel; they totally freak out just going to the vets which is 15 minutes away.

I Dont Know If I Would Want To Travel With The Found Cats.
    They Are All Pretty Settled In The Hotel, And Cats Hate To Change Thier Routine.
    And I Would Be So Scared Of A Cat Getting Loose In A Strange Place.
    The Best Of Luck If You Do Take Your Cat.
    My Late Aunt And Uncle Took Thier Cats To The Trailer Park And Never Had A Problem At All.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

How does your cat feel about traveling in the car? Some take to it right
    away, and some hate it. I have never traveled long distance with my cats,
    but my son has taken his cat everywhere by plane & the cat was fine, even
    for the longest trips. His cat, Charlie, always traveled in a portable soft crate
    that fit under his seat in the plane. Probably depends on your cat's psysical
    condition and personality.

P.s. Charlie's health was good & he was 18yrs old on his last flight.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

We traveled from Chicago to California with our two cats. In preparation I had, as suggested, taken Edwina on short trips with me that did NOT include the vet. (I did not do this with Eddie as he can be a handful when he is scared and he is strong. I was hesitant to try to handle him in a stress situation alone.)

When the move came Eddie went in the truck in his crate and Edwina in her carry bag. They LOVED it. Edwina would look out the window and watch the semis go by. Eddie like being in his crate (now named Fort McFarland) while we were moving but at stops he would emerge and take a good look around.

I had food, water, and litter for them but they preferred to take care of all that at night when we took them (ssshhhh) in the hotel with us.

We are now planning how we can take them on trips with us....it has to be the right trip but we think they (as well as we) would enjoy it!

We have been taking Eve on short trips and she is great. She is now harness/leash trained which makes life easier when she gets to a new destination. She's great in the car and loves her little carrier.

Her greatest adventure so far was a little Christmas vacation at Whistler. She was so well behaved and having her with us was pure joy

I hope to take her with us as often as possible. She's a great little traveler and we love her company
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    I would take them on a few "test" runs first. Kuhio always got car sick so she didn't enjoy the ride at all!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.