Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a shoulder to cry on. And a little help, if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by K & L
    http://www.alleycat.org/

Go to this site and click on Advocator/Caregiver and see if there is some helpful information on this subject. They have all kinds of information!
    I just got off the phone with a wonderful person from the Rocky Mountain Alley Cat Alliance, and that was one of the sites she recommended that I check out.

The RMACA is going to talk to the city zoning inspector (apparently the zoning people are real jerks when it comes to feral cats), but I'll most likely have to go along with what the city wants. And apparently, once the zoning people get on your case, they don't leave you alone. But the RMACA may be able to help me with relocating some of the ferals, if it comes to that.

I still have to figure out how to keep anyone from finding out about the indoor numbers. I think I already ticked off the inspector by telling her that I didn't believe she was allowed to search the house without a warrant.
    Last edited by Prairie Purrs; 02-07-2007 at 03:11 PM.

Also - if you want to try the media with a different angle, AGREE with whoever reported this and say that the best way to help - use it as home wanted for kitties! ASking the public for HELP might be different.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by CatsinDenver
    I think I already ticked off the inspector by telling her that I didn't believe she was allowed to search the house without a warrant.
    WHO CARES? Of course she'll have to have a warrant, unless you just kindly allow her to search your home! What do they expect????

You are wise not to get the media involved! I can promise you that it would turn into a "animal hoarder" story rather than a empathetic story for the kitties. Unfornately "hoarder" stories are more "human interest" to most "people" these days than helping innocent animals!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Hi try this place

http://www.bestfriends.org/aboutus/s...ents/index.cfm

I understand you don't have a car but if you had someone willing to drive you to the vets to drop off and pick up the feral cats maybe best friends would be willing to help fund to get these cats fixed.

It's worth a shot, I know when I was dealing with a colony of cats I got a lot of help from them.

Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by Anikaca77
    Hi try this place

http://www.bestfriends.org/aboutus/s...ents/index.cfm

I understand you don't have a car but if you had someone willing to drive you to the vets to drop off and pick up the feral cats maybe best friends would be willing to help fund to get these cats fixed.

It's worth a shot, I know when I was dealing with a colony of cats I got a lot of help from them.

Melissa
    Unfortunately, it's not a matter of getting them fixed. The city doesn't care whether they're fixed or not--they just don't want anybody feeding them, or at least not feeding more than five total cats, whether those cats are indoor or feral. So if I got them fixed, I'd still be expected to let them starve.

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats
    WHO CARES? Of course she'll have to have a warrant, unless you just kindly allow her to search your home! What do they expect????

You are wise not to get the media involved! I can promise you that it would turn into a "animal hoarder" story rather than a empathetic story for the kitties. Unfornately "hoarder" stories are more "human interest" to most "people" these days than helping innocent animals!

Not only did the inspector get defensive when I said that an indoor inspection would require a warrant--she told me that she would assume that I was breaking the law because I told her that she'd need a warrant! She kept saying that the city ordinance allows her to go wherever she wants. I suggested that the U.S. Constutition might trump a city ordinance.

And yes, a hoarder story is exactly what I'd get from the local media. Apparently the zoning inspectors have been harassing cat owners to the point that they move out of town, but that's not the sort of thing that the local news outlets cover.

She was down right hateful!!! I'd be careful, it sounds like they will be watching you closely, and you can bet they will come unannounced again! I wish I had something to say to help you.

Shoot, I would consider trying to move them in the wee hours of the night, to another location where you could still go and feed them discreetly!

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats
    She was down right hateful!!! I'd be careful, it sounds like they will be watching you closely, and you can bet they will come unannounced again! I wish I had something to say to help you.

Shoot, I would consider trying to move them in the wee hours of the night, to another location where you could still go and feed them discreetly!
    Even if I had someplace to move them to, I wouldn't be able to get there easily to feed them (no car).

The inspector was a piece of work, all right. She told me that the cats would probably go eat from bowls of dog food that people leave out (as if the dogs would allow that). Then she went on her merry way to ticket people who hadn't removed the snow and ice from their walks--which probably includes a bunch of little old ladies who can't get out and shovel.

I Know What You Are Going Through As I Was Reported Myself Last Year.
    I Have 12 Where They Are Only Supposed To Be 3 At The Most.
    I Had My Vet, The Animal Welfare And Help A Furry Friend Write Letter.
    The Animal Control Lady Came, And Inspected The House And Saw That They Were All Well Cared For, Well Fed And Clean And They Havent Been Back Since.
    I Have Moved The Feeding To The Side And Back Of The House So Noone Can See The Porchies.i Would Gladly Put Up Your Cats For As Long As You Needed Penny.
    I Am Hoping And Praying That Things Work Out For You And Your Friends.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Thanks, Gary! I know you'd take them in if it were possible.

If this had been a normal winter, there wouldn't have been a problem because the ferals would come and go--usually, I'd put some food out and never see the cats. It's so frustrating to try to do something to help, only to find that people care more about rules than they do about living creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by CatsinDenver
    The inspector was a piece of work, all right. She told me that the cats would probably go eat from bowls of dog food that people leave out (as if the dogs would allow that). Then she went on her merry way to ticket people who hadn't removed the snow and ice from their walks--which probably includes a bunch of little old ladies who can't get out and shovel.

GRRRRRRRRR! It's a good thing I didn't meet up with her. It's people like that that challenge my ability to speak in a calm manner, and not regret my actions later!

It sounds like your city has a history with hoarders. We have a city with such a history nearby. They have a limit of 3 cats per home. And they are anti-TNR and such. They see ferals on the same level as rodents. Sigh.

Maybe you need to focus on rehoming the ones in your house so YOU don't get into trouble. Then you can pick up with the ferals in the future. Maybe if you do it with a sponsor / backer / organization, you will have more success. Do you have family / friends who can put up some cats for a week or 2? Hope you can work this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    It sounds like your city has a history with hoarders. We have a city with such a history nearby. They have a limit of 3 cats per home. And they are anti-TNR and such. They see ferals on the same level as rodents. Sigh.

Maybe you need to focus on rehoming the ones in your house so YOU don't get into trouble. Then you can pick up with the ferals in the future. Maybe if you do it with a sponsor / backer / organization, you will have more success. Do you have family / friends who can put up some cats for a week or 2? Hope you can work this out.
    An organization is going to try to help me with the ferals (although there may not be much they can do), but I still don't know where I can temporarily relocate the indoor kitties.

Although I love living in Denver (and have lived in the same house for 15 years), if I had the money I'd move away and take as many ferals as I could catch with me. I can do my job anywhere in the country that has a high-speed Internet connection, but I don't have the funds to make a move.

Y'know, when I was sheltering and feeding ferals, every rescue group and organization that I called turned me down flat w/out explanation. Fortunately, I lived on a hill, far from view of everyone else, so my shelters went virtually unnoticed. Do your best to get friends to shelter them if/when the inspector comes back. Then when you feel it's safe, bring the ferals back to where they know they'll get fed and sheltered. These people just don't get it. I hope they come back in their next lives as feral cats. Then they'll get it.

Blessings,
    Mary

Well, it just got worse.

This morning's visit was from a zoning inspector. Tonight an animal control officer showed up and ticketed me, and I have to show up in court in about a month. It looks like they're going to keep bugging me, so I will probably have to permanently rehome five of my indoor cats.

The worst part is that the animal control officer insisted on knowing the names and descriptions of the five cats I "officially" have. So I had to think on the fly about which ones to make "official." That means I will probably have to give up Katie, Hagrid, Angel, Oz, and Cricket. They're shy, older cats and not likely to be adopted from a shelter.

The animal control guy told me that whoever reported me claimed to have tried to talk to me and that I wouldn't respond. That's a lie! Nobody has ever come over to talk to me about the cats.

I am so miserable right now.