Thread: Birdie Info please

Birdie Info please

I've been thinking about getting a bird for awhile now. I'm pretty sure the dogs will leave them alone, but before I decide to get one, I'd like to get as much info on the different kinds of birds out there so I can make an educated decision.

I have tons of questions like which birds talk, how messy are they, how hard are they to train, how do you keep their wings clipped, their nutritional needs, etc.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a reputable website, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

http://birdhobbyist.com/ has a LOT of links to care sheets, breeders, rescues, and sites to get bird stuff.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Hey Pj's mom,

I have 4 cockatiels and an Umbrella Cockatoo. I love them all them the same, but my very first bird was my cockatiel, Peaches, so I guess I've always been a little bit closer to him even though I love them all anyways!

Do you care if the bird is going to make a huge mess with its food and stuff!? My cockatoo is extremely messy! I have to vaccuum under and around his cage evety single day. He is so bad to sling his food everywhere! I think all cockatoos are a lot like that, but I could be wrong.

How much time can you spend with your bird? Cockatoos demand attention (or at least my guy does) if I don't get him out at a certain time everyday he'll start hollering and screaming reminding me it's time for him to get out, and he can scream LOUD! My cockatiels aren't very loud. My boy one sings and whistles, but only because he's happy. I enjoy listening to him....

Cockatoos are good talkers. My cockatoo, Ivory, can say what'cha doin? pretty bird, hey baby, bye-bye, who's your daddy? I love you, and Ivory.
    He's a great talker! I've heard that cockatiels can talk, but I've never seen or had one to talk before.

I use to have a love bird, but she bit me a lot and I ended up having to let a good friend of mine have her because she would bite me. I also had a dove for ever and she was so sweet, but they are kind of like a pigeon. She made a sweet cooing sound. She was very sweet.

Birds aren't that hard to train to unless you get a grown bird and sometimes they need more training and more patience than a baby bird would.

My birds also enjoy eating fruits and vegetables. My cockatiels really love egg without the salt or butter. They also like brown rice.

Ivory loves all kinds of vegetables...

http://www.aav.org/basic_care.htm
    Here's a website but I don't know if it will be of any kind of help!

I love all birds but my cockatoo and tiels have been my favorite!
    I bet others will be able to help you!

Genny
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I don't really mind the mess. My two dogs know this and take full advantage of it.

I live in an apartment now, so a screaming bird probably wouldn't be a good idea.

I get two days off every week to spend with my pets and I work in the afternoons, so they have me almost every morning. I'd like to have a bird that won't mind Peej and Bailey...they have full run of the place.

Do birds get along better alone, or is getting them a friend a better idea?

Sounds like your first bird? Definately don't go with any of the larger breeds such as Cockatoos, macaws, amazons, etc.

Also, it'd be best to go with just one bird. If you get two, they're more likely to bond to eachother and not to you, resulting in them being less affectionate.

I always like to suggest cockatiels to first time bird owners. They're super sweet(in most cases) and supposedly the males can learn to talk, but its not always the case... I've honestly never heard a cockatiel talk.

Though if you want more of a parrot, then maybe a Green Cheek Conure? They're more of the quieter ones in the conure family but still learn to talk. They are little acrobats and are usually all over the place, though. Pretty hyperactive birds.

Keep in mind that an actual parrot can be a handful and cost alot of money. They need alot of toys for stimulation and a pretty good sized cage. Plus exotic vet bills can really cost you if it comes down to it. Just warning you, as alot of people are surprised at the money I spend on all my birds. =]

Good luck!

Yeah this will be our first bird, so I'm really trying to do it right!

Well, I wish you a lot of luck on finding the most perfect bird for you and your family! I think a cockatiel would be awesome for you.

Here's another website it's about tiels if you wanna read it--
    http://www.realmacaw.com/pages/tielcare.html
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Hand fed lovebirds are realy friendly, there best kept single but sometimes both will still bond towards there fellow humans, lovebirds have a life span up to 15 years or a bit more, there very clean birds -- easy to take care of and don't make a mess .. there always awsome birds but please If you do choose one get it hand fed. There are also many breeds & colours of lovies to choose from.

Green Cheeks are small conures and there realy cute and there noise level is not very loud (Can get very loud at times), there is one thing about them tho .. they do have a reputation of being nippy birds, I have had one before and he did nip me sometimes but not always .. it's like sneezing you only do it once in a while lol. Green cheeks can be a bit messy with there food, like my green cheek used to throw his foot out of the cage lol.

Budgies are also another great starter bird, they can be taught to speak with time and knowledge, there small and there noise level is not anoying .. they can also be kept in groups but still they won't mind you picking them up & playing with them.

What ever the choice good luck!, a cockatiel does seem like a good choice for you .. I might even end up getting one my self lol.

Thanks for the advice and links. I have a lot more homework to do before I get a bird, but I think I'm leaning toward getting a cockatiel for right now. We have a great pet store here that sells birds, so I'll probably go take a look at them this afternoon so I can check out their behavior and ask some questions.

That's awesome! If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!!!

Good for you for doing your homework first.

Please don't ever leave your dogs unattended with your bird.

Introductions and/or complete separation are very important.

Cockatiels are small birds. Delicate birds. A playful dog that means no harm can kill a bird from sheer shock alone.

When I was breeding parrotlets, a baby of mine lasted less than a week in her new home, when the woman left the bird on the playstand in the same room as her dog, and went in another room. From what she tells me, she thinks the bird flew off of the playstand to look for her, and when it landed on the ground, the dog (most likely NOT out of aggression, but more likely out of playfulness) grabbed the bird in it's mouth.

She heard the bird scream from the other room and by the time she got back it was too late. No punctures or bite marks on the baby. She died from complete and total fear, at 8.5 weeks old.

And it's always a good idea for a new bird owner to start out small. Especially new bird owners that live in apartments. A cockatiel is an excellent first choice. My first bird was a tiel. Best idea I ever had And as much as I love rescues, and always try to promote rescue, sometimes it is best to get a bird from a reputable small time hobby breeder who really cares about their babies, and will make sure your bird is well socialized, healthy, and a good companion for you.

Does the bird have to be a baby to assure that it bonds to us as its family?

Sorry if that was a stupid question, but someone told me that.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ's Mom
    Does the bird have to be a baby to assure that it bonds to us as its family?

Sorry if that was a stupid question, but someone told me that.
    It doesn't have to be, but just like a pup or kitten it will grow up knowing you and your habits.

I have tiels that were from other homes and act like they have been here from birth, just as comfy as my handfed babes that I raised. I have a couple that still after a few years with us, seem upset by our normal routines.

Same with the macaws. So no it doesn't have to be a baby to bond, but it will bond quicker is all!~

Btw, I am so thankful you are doing research first! I am certain whatever you decide the bird will be a very lucky avian indeed!
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

yeah, you're doing such an awesome job and researching about all kinds and stuff!

I still think a tiel would be great for you! Have you decided on a kind yet, or are you still thinking about it?? What ever you decide on I know you'll love it! All birds are so special in their own way! Please do let us know what kind you do get!
    Genny

I'd suggest a pair of cockatiels. Cockatiels are very social birds and they should bond with you just fine even if they have another cockatiel buddy. I'd suggest either two females or two males, but not a male and a female. I don't like to encourage egg laying by putting a male and female together (note that a female can lay a non-fertile egg). I much perfer two cockatiels because they easily get lonely when you are away. Some kinds of bird are better left one to a cage, but I personally feel that cockatiels should always have another cockatiel buddy.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla