Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Anvik needed surgery..Latest update post 161

Anvik needed surgery..Latest update post 161

Last night, while I was getting ready to hook up a team, the dogs had a little scuffle. The excitement of hook-up causes them to loose their little canine minds, plus a full moon which I am sure adds to the chaos! The fight looked fairly minor and I had everyone seperated in no time. No one was bleeding. No obvious damage to any of the dogs involved. I seperated the instigators from the pack and got things calmed back down.

Anvik was whining, but he was moving fine, ran to "his" porch, where he eats and has one of his crates. I gave him a complete inspection and couldn't find any punctures, no blood, no visible injuries at all. He ate with his normal enthusiasm, drank as he always does. A couple hours later, he went to give me a hug and he dropped back to the floor screeching. Gave him a dose of Metacam thinking he must be stiff, pulled a muscle or something like that. Put him in his big crate beside my bed where he was quiet and slept all night.

Let him out this morning and notice that on his left side there is a massive lump; the size of both my fists! Feels like it's fluid filled. So I figured I missed a little puncture wound and he's got the start of a major abcess. Call my boss to tell her I'm going to be late and take Anvik to the vet. I do love that my vet lets me drop animals off and will squeeze them in when he can. Anvik is obviously uncomfortable; he yelped getting out of the truck; moving stiffly and he isn't making any noise. Anvik is always making some kind of racket! He's only quiet when he's asleep or eating!

Vet calls early this afternoon. He can't find any puncture wound either. He wanted to take an x-ray, but Anvik freaked out when they tried to position his legs for it. Dr. Rick said he could see the lump moving and changing as Anvik moved. He can feel the intestines and the large hole in Annie's abdomen wall--2 inches long and an inch wide!

Dr. Rick says the size of the tear makes it life threatening(if the intestine gets stuck) and a very complicated repair! Dang it!!! So he's staying late tonight to do an emergency surgery on my little guy. Anvik will have to spend the night at least, maybe longer at the clinic and likely at least six weeks of no activity to recover! He is going to be a miserable creature! He is not good at being still. Thank goodness he likes his crate. It looks like he'll be spending alot of time there!

Could you please cross your paws for Annie? I'm still reeling from Preacher's death and I can barely cope with the thought of something happening to Anvik!
    Last edited by Glacier; 02-10-2007 at 10:23 PM.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Oh Tamara, I am so sorry! Poor sweet Anvik, he will be in my thoughts as well as you. When will the sugery be?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Oh no Tamara, how scary. Anvik & all of yous are in my thoughts. We'll be praying for a successful surgery. HUGS!!!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

prayers and hugs on the way -
    update when you can..

{{hugs}}
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Wow, that's terrible news! Poor Anvik, I'll keep as many fingers and toes crossed as possible and send best wishes that his surgery goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfamr
    When will the sugery be?
    Surgery is supposed to be starting at 4:30 Pacific time.

Thanks everyone.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Oh Tamara,
    You have all my prayers and wishes and {{{hugs}}}.
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

((trying to see through my tears to type))
    I hope Anvik gets better real quick so he can join the pack on a midnight run soon!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Prayers for you and Anvik

I hope all goes well with the surgery well be thinking of you
    YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MANY FRIENDS

Prayers for Anvik and you Tamara. Hope all goes well and we look forward to seeing the handsome boy at home recovering.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

Oh my goodness Poor Anvik. Lots of good healing vibes coming the poor boys way and some {{Hugs}} for Mama.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Pawsitive thoughts and prayers for Anvik.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thoughts and prayers going out for Anvik right away!! Please get well sweetheart!!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier
    Surgery is supposed to be starting at 4:30 Pacific time.

Thanks everyone.
    In prayers for sure... Keep us posted..

Prayers and crossed paws, finger, toes for Anvik. Please sweetie pie, you have to be ok. Hugs for you to hold you over while you wait for news.

Sami, dear RB Sami, you have work to do my dear. Anvik needs you so please keep an eye on his surgery and recovery.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21