Thread: Found a tick..

Found a tick..

We found a tick on my dog's bed today and I am so worried. She threw up last night and has not been herself today. We noticed something on her last night, but did not know that it was a tick. She has been laying around all day, but not doing anything else unusual. What should I do? Please help. I am so worried.

Quote Originally Posted by steelergrl
    We found a tick on my dog's bed today and I am so worried. She threw up last night and has not been herself today. We noticed something on her last night, but did not know that it was a tick. She has been laying around all day, but not doing anything else unusual. What should I do? Please help. I am so worried.
    Tick borne diseases usually take a week or longer to incubate. General signs can include high fever where vomiting can be a side effect, weakness, shivering (due to the fever), fatique, swollen lymph glands, etc. In general the dog is extremely ill. The acute form of the illness can last 1-2 weeks after which it may go into a chronic stage, where later organ failure and arthiritis develops.

The chances are the tick is unrelated to the dog vomiting. However it's easy enough to take the dog to the Vet and have Tick-titers run to check for the common tick borne diseases.

The tick

Dragondawg- thank you so much for the advice. I will monitor her closely the next few days/weeks. I bought some Tick & Flea Spray along with a Tick & Flea collar. We used the spray heavily on the affected area (which is huge) and the collar is on her. I think the head was attached to the tick's body when we found it. We did take it outside and burn it. I heard that here in FL the ticks don't carry any kind of disease? I don't know if that is true. Does anyone? Trust me, I worry a lot! =)

in my experiance sprays and collars do not work! The best thing toget is like Frontline or advantage. Good luck.
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by steelergrl

Dragondawg- thank you so much for the advice. I will monitor her closely the next few days/weeks. I bought some Tick & Flea Spray along with a Tick & Flea collar. We used the spray heavily on the affected area (which is huge) and the collar is on her. I think the head was attached to the tick's body when we found it. We did take it outside and burn it. I heard that here in FL the ticks don't carry any kind of disease? I don't know if that is true. Does anyone? Trust me, I worry a lot! =)

Get an appointment with your vet soon! It's possible your dog could be ill from all the sprays & the collar. Those frequently have chemicals in them that can be toxic expecially in higher concentrations! I honestly would just get an appointment at your vet, and be sure to bring along the sprays you used and the box from the collar, your vet will want to see what you used. In the future just use Frontline Plus for fleas and ticks, it's much safer. Also if you've found one tick on your dog, it's possible that others have been on there before and fell off before you noticed them, yet another good reason to see your vet.

Any tick can carry disease, however it's usually the deer ticks that carry lyme disease which is the most commonly known one. Personally I would have saved the tick in an old pill bottle or anything that seals up to show your vet so he/she could identify which kind of tick it was and send it in for testing if necessary.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Not To State To Obvious But Why Dont You Call Your Vet?!!!!!!
    And I Agree Frontline Or Something Like That Will Work Best But Again See Your Vet And Ask Them. Best Of Luck.....