Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setback for Barbaro..

Setback for Barbaro..

Barbaro Has Another Significant Setback

By RICHARD ROSENBLATT, AP Racing Writer

1/28/07
    Barbaro suffered another significant setback in his recovery, forcing doctors to choose a risky approach to try and save the ailing Kentucky Derby winner.
    Barbaro no longer is bearing weight on the right hind leg he shattered eight months ago in the Preakness Stakes after undergoing surgery Saturday to place two steel pins through a bone. The biggest fear is that the bone bearing the weight _ the cannon bone _ can break.
    "We will continue to treat Barbaro aggressively as long as he remains bright, alert and eating," Dr. Dean Richarson, chief surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania's New Bolton Center in Kennett Square, Pa., said Sunday. "This is another significant setback that exemplifies how complex his medical situation remains because both hind limbs have major problems."
    This is the first time in weeks the right hind leg has been the focus of concern. For months, it was the left hind leg that put Barbaro's recovery in serious jeopardy because of laminitis, the often-fatal hoof disease.
    Richardson, in an update released by the New Bolton Center, said Saturday's surgery went well.
    "He had a perfect recovery from anesthesia and has been in and out of the sling since then," Richardson said. "His left hind foot appears to be stable at this time. We remain concerned about both front feet. Remarkably, his attitude and appetite were excellent overnight."
    Richarson said Barbaro has developed a deep abscess that necessitated surgery to remove a new cast and replace it with an external skeletal fixation device, similar to an external brace.
    "There is significant risk in this approach, but we believed it was our only option given the worsening of the right hind foot problem," Richardson said. "The major risk of the external skeletal fixation device is that the bone bearing the weight can fracture.
    "Unfortunately, we felt we needed to take this risk because this approach offered our only hope of keeping Barbaro acceptably comfortable."
    Richardson explained that Barbaro had been uncomfortable on his right hind foot because of the development of a "deep subsolar abscess secondary to bruising when he went through a period of discomfort on the left hind foot.
    "It is not laminitis but the undermining of the sole and part of the lateral heel region are potentially just as serious," Richardson said. "We attempted to manage the right hind foot in a cast and then in a custom fabricated brace but it was impossible to have access to the foot for treatment as well as acceptable stability and comfort."
    The foot was placed in the external brace to give it a chance to heal, with two pins placed transversely through his right hind cannon bone. The pins are connected to "external sidebars that in turn are connected to a lightweight alloy foot plate." This results in Barbaro not having to bear weight on the foot.
    On Saturday, owner Gretchen Jackson told The Philadelphia Inquirer that Barbaro was again facing tough odds.
    "He's got a lot of issues, and not any of them is bad enough to say goodbye. But put together it's not a good day for Barbaro," Jackson said.
    Roy Jackson said he visited Barbaro after the procedure and the colt was alert and ate his grass. Jackson also said there were no additional problems with the left hind and that it was "doing pretty well."
    The procedure came three days after Barbaro had two new casts applied to his hind legs. He received a custom-made plastic and steel brace on his right hind leg. He also got a special orthotic brace on the right foot that will give him additional support and give doctors easier access to an abscess that was drained.
    In July, Barbaro developed laminitis in his left hoof because of uneven weight distribution in the limbs, 80 percent of that hoof was removed.
    "It's nothing that we haven't been through," Roy Jackson said. "Dr. Richardson has said there would be problems along the road."

----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but what is your opinion on his quality of life? Do you think they are just stringing him along, hoping to make money on some stud fees? Or that they generally care for the horse's wellbeing?

I pray that Barbaro pulls through. He's been through so much and has made great strides. To have this happen to him is truly disappointing.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

It's the racing industry I really don't think they care too much about the horses well being seeing as if he didnt have such a big title they would have euthinized him by now. But then again they know he will never race again and they could just take sperm from him in order to breed him right? But then again (again) they could be doing this cause all the puplicity it has been getting?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

I've been against what they are doing because I have horses and know the kind of pain this horse has to be in. I consider it to be a form of abuse, this horse should be humanely euthanized to end his misery. And yes, I've had to do it several times myself and it hurts, but the welfare of my horses always came first. I think they are hoping to make money from the sperm, the publicity and maybe even a movie of the poor horse.

Artificial insemination is not allowed in the horse racing world, it has to be live cover. They are not doing it for that. They love the horse, and would do the same thing for a horse that had never won a race. There have been numerous interviews with them and interviews with the vet who has dealt with them before and knows how deeply they care. They could have made a fortune off him in insurance if they had just put him down the day he broke his leg, but they continue to shell out money for him. Barbaro has maintained a bright attitude and a voracious appetite. If he had shown any signs of losing the will to live or constant pain, they would have let him go. Gretchen Jackson has said repeatedly if he cannot come home and just be a horse, he will not come home at all. The chances of him studding are slim, if he survives. Gretchen brings him cut grass from their farm every single day without fail. She has been a tireless advocate for horse welfare and is active politically for horse protection laws. I think it's important to know the full story before making statements that they are out for money. Nothing could be farther from the truth. They have even turned down direct donations people wanted to send to help with Barbaro's vet bill, and asked people to instead donate to horse charities, because they have the means to pay his bill without problems.

Edited to also add: It has also been stated that Barbaro is insured for $20 million, which is more than they could ever make if he made it out and was able to stud. If he can fight through this, and I think if he is going to, he will have to turn a corner soon, one way or the other, it is VERY iffy that he would be able to stud safely. I've been following Barbaro since before this happened. You can get daily, in depth updates at www.timwoolleyracing.com. Gretchen Jackson is an amazing, kind woman. She has helped provide many of the updates on the site, keeping everyone informed. A quote from an interview Alex (the person who runs the site) had with her: (from last fall) "Today (9 am) We had a great visit, he was nickering for his grass, which I pick from our farm. I will be returning again this evening. It is no big deal for me to visit, I live so close and usually visit twice a day. Bringing the grass gives Barbaro something to do while I visit, and of course he likes it a lot. I like to visit, he has done so much for us, it is the least I can do."
    Last edited by K9soul; 01-28-2007 at 10:37 PM.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Poor Barbaro. I hope he heals quickly. This must be so painful for him.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

{{{{{{{BARBARO}}}}}}}
    Last edited by Daisy and Delilah; 01-29-2007 at 07:29 AM.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Those making snap judgements about the Jacksons ought not judge the situation as you don't know the people and they actually seem to just love their horse...I know crazy isn't it? They bred him, raised him, raced him, have done everything WITHIN HIS COMFORT to save his life, bring him fresh cut grass every single day, watch him closely for any signs of pain, and have said if he cannot live a pain free life when all is said and done, they will put him down. They can't use his sperm for anything, as K9 soul said, artificial insemination is not allowed in the thoroughbred racing industry. When he tells them he's done, IF he tells them he's done, they will do right by their horse. If your dog or pet got hurt but was happy, interested in surroundings, and eating well, would you just put them down or give them a chance to heal?? You don't know the people involved enough to judge them in that way without knowing anything about it. They take care of ALL of their animals with or without a big name, in the exact same way. Not everyone in the racing industry is as you describe, sure as in every sport or event there are some jerks, but by and large there are a lot of good people there too. Don't be so quick to judge people you don't know, the situation is not so cut and dry.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

I applaud THESE OWNERS!!! To me- all their efforts speaks of solid owner relationship of never giving up hope as long as the horse is improving- set backs or not- he is eating and happy.. I PRAISE THE OWNERS !!!!

Setback for Barbaro

Yes its all so sad for him.. I hope he is in no pain.. I do hope the best for him..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

He's gone.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    He's gone.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/

There's a press conference soon. My heart is in a million pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Vela
    He's gone.

So heartbreaking!

Thank you Kay for the beautiful sig!

"We can judge the heart of man by his treatment of animals"

~Find the seed at the bottom of your heart and bring forth a flower~