Thread: Peeing on the rug

Peeing on the rug

Hello everyone-

I have two 4-year old pugs who keep using the expensive rug in my bedroom as their "newspaper". They are trained to use their newspapers in our laundry room, and my bedroom is across the house and up a flight of stairs from the laundry room. They spend most of their time in the kitchen adjacent to the laundry room, so I don't understand why they are doing this. The entire upper story of my house is beginning to smell like a dumpster, and I don't want them destroying this rug any further. Any help?

Maybe it is because dogs prefer to go to the loo as far away from their sleeping quarters as possible and so they go up to your room to do it rather than do it nearer to where they sleep. Maybe creating some type of barrier to stop them entering your bedroom?

It's a good idea to not allow dogs to have the run of the whole house anyway so confine them to certain parts. Also, to reduce their need to go in the house, let them out last thing to go outside and then first thing in the morning. As adults, they should be able to hold themselves for the night by now. Teach them to go at specific times by noting when they most likely need to go and use a command word that they learn to associate with relieving themselves and, when they do it in the right place, you praise them good and proper and this reinforces the behaviour and they are more likely to use that spot again in future. Dogs are creatures of habit and they have developed a habit of using your rug so you need to change it to something else and using the method described, you should be successful.

The rug in your room probably looked like a good substitute for the newspaper they have been trained to use.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

I agree. Do you take them out to potty? It would be best if they learned to go outside. And a trip out just before bedtime and first thing in the morning is essential.

Use a good enzyme remover on your rug so they don't want to re-use it. It will remove the odor completely so you will be happy, too. Try Nature's Miracle or Outright's Simple Solution.

this might be a silly question but is it a new rug????

do not clean the rug with jeyes fluid or any other toxic fluids

Talking

TIP: If your dog goes to the potty at night, try taking them outside or possibly on a walk for the potty,and then when they go to bed take away there water, and put a couple of ice cube's in a bowl and then when your dog's like them they will slowly melt, so it will giv them enough water to drink but not enough for them to want to go potty.

Thanks for the help everyone, I'll try those ideas.