Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling one at a time?

Calling one at a time?

I strongly believe this is because they are all named similar...starting with C. But how do i get them to come when called...one at a time? I say corona come...they all come...i say cainan come...cainan and corona come! Coco is pretty good about coming with her own name, but sometimes she just acts like she never heard the name part! It's very frustrating especially with cainan...hopefully his classes will help him with some of these issues (as explained in prior threads) but anyways, i dont know how to just get one at a time?

Ummmmm...my dogs names arent even close, and they both come when i just call one!! heck i can go Here kitty kitty, and the dogs come!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    Ummmmm...my dogs names arent even close, and they both come when i just call one!! heck i can go Here kitty kitty, and the dogs come!!
    lol! Same here. I can say, "Hey you with the fuzzy butt, come" and they both come.

Wish I could help, but I'm just thankful when anybody comes when I call.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

When I want mine to come one at a time I tell them all to "wait", and then I call each one individually with their name or nickname and then "come" right after. If I don't say wait, then they all come at once for some reason. Lol..that probably wasn't of any help though. Hopefully someone else will have some better tips.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

Sit down in the middle of the floor with the nail clippers in your hand. That will make the other two head the other way.
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Mine have totally different sounding names too. If I call Mist, Jess comes as well but if I call Jess, only she comes and Mist doesn't bother.

I think it is Jess scared to death of missing something but Mist doesn't care about that, lol.
    Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole.

www.tmhudsonfineart.co.uk

I am lucky if I can get mine to come at all right now. So I'm not too helpfully sorry

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom
    Sit down in the middle of the floor with the nail clippers in your hand. That will make the other two head the other way.
    Ohh yea!!! That really works! lol..
    I am laughing at this topic. My shepherds- they would come to " You guys" but other than that- only look with interest if I only called one. The Borzois- well- lol.. They will come if I call my husband- lol - .. This same group of dogs can hear the silent lift of the cookie jar- yet CAN NOT hear me call them in the yard if they are hunting as a group- . I swear they glance over their shoulder at the other one and say- " Mom is calling- go see what she wants-" as they continue to keep going.. Shepherds- they are not..

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    Wish I could help, but I'm just thankful when anybody comes when I call.

That's really funny, I like that!

Smile

I'm so glad someone brought this up. I thought I was the only one with that problem, I'm now in the process of giving a sit stay command to one and call the other. Hasn't worked too well yet....they both sit stay and they both wait for one another to come...lol...Hope someone has a good suggestion for this.

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    Ohh yea!!! That really works! lol..
    I am laughing at this topic. My shepherds- they would come to " You guys" but other than that- only look with interest if I only called one. The Borzois- well- lol.. They will come if I call my husband- lol - .. This same group of dogs can hear the silent lift of the cookie jar- yet CAN NOT hear me call them in the yard if they are hunting as a group- . I swear they glance over their shoulder at the other one and say- " Mom is calling- go see what she wants-" as they continue to keep going.. Shepherds- they are not..
    LOL, well then, the new Collie should fit in just fine with the hunter Borzoi's. When you call Femka, Galina, Hottie and Zubin then Major can just round 'em up for you and herd them to the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Love That Collie
    LOL, well then, the new Collie should fit in just fine with the hunter Borzoi's. When you call Femka, Galina, Hottie and Zubin then Major can just round 'em up for you and herd them to the door.
    God- I hope so... lol.. I need a ' herd-er" here... rofl...

It's pretty much impossible. But mine have gotten in a routine for when I take them for walks separately.

Example:
    "Mickey, come. Molly, stay."

To the dog who is staying, I will say it lowly and sternly.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I'm just curious as to why you want to do this? When I say come..no matter what..I want all of my dogs to get their butts to me as soon as possible, lol. Now, sometimes I'll have them all on a "wait" at the door and I use their name as a release. I just don't want the dog to ever second guess the word come and to sit and think if their name was called, but that's just me.