Thread: How do I mention a raise?

How do I mention a raise?

When I was hired at one of my jobs, (teaching piano lessons) I was told I would make so much per hour until January- when my boss said she would pay me an extra $2/hour.

So far, she hasn't said anything to the effect of "make sure you add another dollar per lesson." I add up all of my lessons and just give her an amount at the end of the month and she writes me a check.

I obviously want to make more, especially since she said she would pay it to me...but how do I approach this subject with her? Should I email her about it, talk to her in person (most likely over the phone since we don't get much time to talk in the studio) or simply add up my monthly wages with the new wage?

Help! I want get this raise, but I'm unsure how to approach it!

I would talk to her personally or over the phone. Just ask her flat out, do I start my raise money this month, so I can bill my students.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

I'm not really sure. I guess I would just ask...I ask my boss all the time for a raise She goes "yeaah, ok then. I'll get right on that" She must think I'm joking lol

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I would assume that she honestly just forgot. Sounds like something I would do! I would be glad my employee reminded me straight out, instead of letting it brew into hard feelings.

I would mention it personally, not in a email.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Craftlady
    I would talk to her personally or over the phone. Just ask her flat out, do I start my raise money this month, so I can bill my students.
    I agree- after all- you have to bill your students..

Quote Originally Posted by Craftlady
    Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom
    I agree- after all- you have to bill your students..
    Actually, my students won't pay more. They pay her, and then she pays me a portion...I wouldn't be too keen on it if they had to pay even more- they pay enough already!

I was told I would make so much per hour until January- when my boss said she would pay me an extra $2/hour.

Just remind her of what she said - you are not being unreasonable and are worth every $
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I would do it in a light-mannered way.

"Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, we did discuss bumping my hourly rate up some in January"....or something along those lines.

asking for a raise

I would ask your boss directly or over the phone. I would just say" we discussed a raise last month and I would like to start adding that in now".
    Keep in simple, direct and professional. Good luck to you, oh and Thursday is the best day to ask for a raise. I read that somewhere on a business website.

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi
    When I was hired at one of my jobs, (teaching piano lessons) I was told I would make so much per hour until January- when my boss said she would pay me an extra $2/hour.

So far, she hasn't said anything to the effect of "make sure you add another dollar per lesson." I add up all of my lessons and just give her an amount at the end of the month and she writes me a check.
    I like the idea of speaking to her directly, and the wording used by Craftlady *Do I start my raise this month?*

If you are a hesitant to take that approach, you could always give her the amount at the end of the month with the option of two different figures, one designated as having the previously mentioned raise included.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France