Thread: any tips?

any tips?

about three months ago I found a stray kitten. She and my other cat became very close. But he just died. I have been working with her a whole lot. But she still is really scared of me. When I feed her I am able to sit and rub behind her ears, but only if I sit across from her. I have done this for about a month now. That's as close as I've gotten to her trusting people. I am about 98% sure she was abandoned. I've named her Ring since she lookes like an ocicat mix. I would have caught her a long time ago if I would have taken my brothers advice and set a trap but I want to show him that I can do it my way. I had no idea it would take this long, but I am deticated to whatever you guys ( and girls ) suggest. So do you have any advice for me and Ring?

Thanks,
    Jr Vet

Well the younger the kitten is when you get her inside, the better off for the kitten and the easier it will be to keep her as an indoor pet.

My Cuddles was an outdoor cat with many issues. I've had her 18 months as an indoor cat. She still will not come to me, but she gets along with the other cats fine and she is happy to be inside. It can take lots of time and patience.

I'm with your brother. Trap her, have her to the vet to a check up and shots, and keep working with her in your home. Food is your friend in making frineds with her.

cat

Morning,
    I took in a cat some 15 years ago. She was an adult stray who was very very shy. It took me a month to get her indoors and it was fall by then, cold and wet here in Ohio. Once we had her inside we of course had her fixed, declawed and all shots. Olivia lived with us for 10 years before dying of diabeties. She never wanted to be held, ever. She never lost her fear. If she was eating and had her head in the bowl if anyone walked into the kitchen she would run out. Once or twice in all the time we had her she jumped on the sofa and laid by someones feet but to pet her was very rare. However she enjoyed her life as much as possible with the other two cats. She never learned to play with them. Olivia just didn't understand teh concept. But she was warm, fed, loved and we enjoyed each others company even if it was from across the room. I don't know what happened to poor Olivia to make her this way but we did the best for her that was humanly possible and we missed her when she died.

any tips?

First of all Welcome to Pet Talk & enjoy all the talks & pictures..
    Second of all = just keep working with this baby & someday wittle kitty will be ok to handle.. However sometimes they never come around to be handled..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I have to kind of agree with the above posts. Our Hayley was rescued by me, but ADORES my husband, and follows him around like a dog. SOMETIMES she likes to be petted/held and she will purr up a storm. It just takes time and going about things slowly. Cats make us work very hard to gain their respect and love!!! Good luck ...
    Nine is Fine!!

I've tamed feral cats and kittens all of my life. Some remain aloof...others start off shy and become cuddle-bugs. It depends. If the cat is letting you touch her she does trust you. Trapping and going to the vet certainly would speed things up and if you have concerns for the cat's health or safety that might be the best way to go. Time and patience work too. Try talking quietly to the cat as you sit near by. Increase touching very gradually.

These days, given the world we live in I usually get the ferals tame enough to pick up and then get a vet appointment and take them in before introducing them to the household... They don't like the vet thing, but it keeps everyone safe and healthy and so far they've forgiven me!

Good luck. Sharing food and kindness has been a blessing for this cat. I hope your friendship has a long and happy future.

If you trap her

you may have faster progress by keeping her in a very large crate (ex. 4' long dog crate) and working with her in it. I did that with Domino, a stray in my neighborhood who was terrified of me. I trapped her and kept her in a large dog crate. After sitting in the crate with her for several weeks and teaching her I wouldn't hurt her, I let her out. She pretty much kept to the basement because of my other cats.

Sadly, just as she was starting to come upstairs and to me for meals, she became ill. During surgery to explore a cystic mass, they discovered it was inoperable liver cancer; I let her cross the Rainbow Bridge.

Other 'scaredy cats' I have, Trill and Emmy, eventually learned that good scritches come to those who lie down near me. So even if a couple of them dislike losing their gravity (do NOT pick me up, thank you!), they will get on the couch or bed next to me to cuddle and be petted.

BJM

Keep Trying

As a caretaker to feral colonies, I agree with barncat. Some you can socialize and others you can't. But.......and the most important things always come after but..........you are providing her with all the things every cat deserves, food, shelter, warmth and love and those are the things that really count. She does trust you enough to allow you to rub her ears and that is a big step. Just hang in there and keep tyring but accept with she is willing to give you back.

Keep petting her and soon she will trust you. Okay, well, she already trusts you. If she lets you pet her more and more, her trust is gaining. Soon she may want to come in with you. Just remember: every cat is different. Just give her pateince and don't rush her.
    If this doesn't work, then I agree with your brother. You should trap her for her own good.
    Good luck and keep us posted
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Get a small hairbrush (the kind with plastic bristles and a rounded tip at the end) and try brushing the cat. Most cats find it irresistable! Also offering a treat out of your hand is a good way to gain trust.
    Cathy loves Cocoa Kitty.
    http://cocoakitty.net

What a great landlord! Before I bought this house, I was renting and he thought I had only one cat, Puddy. When I knew he was coming to do repair work or whatever, I'd toss cats in the garage, basement, spare bedrooms, wherever and PRAY that none of them would meow. Well, one day my black cat Boo got out and ran right by my landlord while he was working. He stopped and looked, then looked at me. I had an no expression on my face and if he had asked me about it, I would've said "What cat?" He didn't say a word. When I moved out, I had shelters outside everywhere and a trap to capture the last ferals to find homes for and he never said a word. He left them there until I housed every cat. The good landlords are out there.

Anyhow....some ferals you can work with and some you can't. But I found it helpful to get a Cat Dancer and play w/them. They loved it and they eventually allowed me to hold them and give them Revolution on the scruff of their necks, deworm them, etc. It takes time but is well worth it.

Blessings,
    Mary

You have made optimistic progress with Ring, as she allows you to rub behind her ears as she eats! Don't give up hope; continue to spend as much time as possible with her.

I used to sit by the cage of my now RB feral, Muskrat, and read nursery rhymes and sing to her. Being completely wild, she of course initially would recoil from my attempts to touch her, so I slowly began to reach out to her via a brush, which she did not mind at all. With much patience, and taking the situation one step at a time, she eventually became fully trusting (of me, exclusively) and would sit on my lap and interact with me just like my tame kitties. It was a very satisfying experience to witness the change in her.

Depending on Ring's personality and pondering the big question mark of what she endured before you came into her life, if you are dedicated and devoted to achieving your goal it sounds like you are well on your way to realizing it.

I believe that your persistance will reap rewards!
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs

Keep on doing what you're doing. Patience, above all, is the key to socializing a semi-feral kitty.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!