Thread: shih tzu puppy sickness

shih tzu puppy sickness

Hi all

I have a lovely little shih tzu puppy its the first time i have had a puppy so i am a little unsure of their likes and dislikes.

Little lilli has started being sick about a week ago, i thought it may have been because she was eating one of my house plants, but it has carried on and now even if she hasnt eaten she is still being sick yellow bile, and sometimes she just heaves with clear bubbles like shes foaming at the mouth, a couple of times she has collapsed when she is heaving has anyone got any ideas what could be causing it am i feeding her to much or could it be a fur ball?She has also just had her first season, could it be this?

She isnt ill with it she is still running around but she hasnt kept anything down for a week now and i am beginning to worry i would really appreciate anybodies input

Thanks Lillibobsmam

No this isn't normal, dogs don't get furballs like cats, and your dog needs to be seen by a vet. Good luck.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

I would book an appointment with a vet asap, That behaviour isn't right at all. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by lillibobsmam
    Hi all

I have a lovely little shih tzu puppy its the first time i have had a puppy so i am a little unsure of their likes and dislikes.

Little lilli has started being sick about a week ago, i thought it may have been because she was eating one of my house plants, but it has carried on and now even if she hasnt eaten she is still being sick yellow bile, and sometimes she just heaves with clear bubbles like shes foaming at the mouth, a couple of times she has collapsed when she is heaving has anyone got any ideas what could be causing it am i feeding her to much or could it be a fur ball?She has also just had her first season, could it be this?

She isnt ill with it she is still running around but she hasnt kept anything down for a week now and i am beginning to worry i would really appreciate anybodies input

Thanks Lillibobsmam
    Is the puppy vomiting after each meal? Only in the morning, or only at night? Immediately or 6-8 hrs later? Is it strickly bile and gastric juices, or does it contain food? When it does eat, does it act as though its gagging? These are all questions a Vet will be interested in.

If the dog has just completed its first heat then the dog now has a 7% increased chance later in life for mammary cancer as compared to a spayed female. If a second heat and/or pregnancy occurs then the odds increase to 1 in 4 or 25% chance of getting developing mammary cancer compared to their spayed counterpart.

Hi
    Thanks for your post. Yes she was vomitting straight after her food then it went to lasting longer now she is eating less it is more bile but i did catch her chewing earlier and when i opened her mouth she had a lump of hair she was chewing on. So now i am contemplating her fur off with my clippers to see if this stops it.
    Lillibobsmam

Hi
    Thanks for your post. Yes she was vomitting straight after her food then it went to lasting longer now she is eating less it is more bile but i did catch her chewing earlier and when i opened her mouth she had a lump of hair she was chewing on. So now i am contemplating her fur off with my clippers to see if this stops it.
    Lillibobsmam
    Ask your Vet about the possibility of brachycephalic syndrome. It's a genetic problem for short snout breeds. It can cause gagging, and vomiting. A Vet will usually try short term cortisteroids to relieve swelling and inflammation of the air passages. Speak with your Vet about it.

Hi

She isnt ill with it she is still running around but she hasnt kept anything down for a week now and i am beginning to worry. Yes she was vomitting straight after her food then it went to lasting longer now she is eating less it is more bile but i did catch her chewing earlier and when i opened her mouth she had a lump of hair she was chewing on. So now i am contemplating her fur off with my clippers to see if this stops it.
    Lillibobsmam

CALL YOUR VET IMMEDIATELY!!!

You've already said she has not kept food down for a WEEK, she's VOMITING bile, has COLLAPSED from heaving, and has been eating HOUSEPLANTS and you think that clipping her fur off is going to somehow miraculously make her better?????

Not knowing what is causing all this, anything from poisioning from the plant, intestinal blockage, allergies, or resiratory infection, the longer you wait could be very critical!!

CALL YOUR VET IMMEDIATELY!!!!

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022