Thread: We've got eggs! Cockatiel eggs, that is

We've got eggs! Cockatiel eggs, that is

It appears that one egg of 3 that Milly layed, has been discarded. She is sitting on two. I hope she is finished!

Wonder if they are fertile? Wonder who in the world is going to step forward and take any potential babies???? I don't need them!!

Logan

you know I´ll step forward
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365

Quote Originally Posted by Logan

We've got eggs!

She is sitting on two. I hope she is finished!

Wonder if they are fertile?

And WHERE were the Parental Chaperones whilst the Hankie-Pankie was happnin?

Congratz, GranMom!

Last edited by Cinder & Smoke; 01-10-2007 at 05:00 PM.
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

How exciting! we just had 2 baby cockatiels hatch 5 weeks ago! They are so much fun!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

Thats so exciting!
    I wish I lived closer, as I would give one a good home in a heartbeat! I've been looking into getting my 'tiel another girlie to be with... but haven't fully decided yet.
    Anyway, please keep us updated as to whether they are fertile or not! It'd be fun to watch little 'tiels grow up. =]

Awww I want one! I've been sort of poking around looking for *maybe* a friend for mine...I really really really want a Lutino this time though. I know I will get another one at some point, but I don't have the facilities to house another one if they don't get along.

How exciting! When do you expect them to hatch, Grandmom? I'm sure Fister would welcome them here.... only joking.

Congratulations on a few little ones. They won't take up much space.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Wow!! how exciting!! how long do Cockatiel Eggs take to Hatch?? I have a chicken sitting on a clutch of eggs right now, they should hatch in about 6 days! I am so excited!! I love baby birds!! Chicken eggs take 21 days. Good luck on the hatch, and hopefully they are fertile!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Ah Logan, it has been a while since I've seen a post like this from you .

I'll be checking for updates!

Riley has been, uh, well, mating with the food dish . Since she lives with 2 other female tiels and a male budgie I know if she lays eggs they won't be fertile. She had been making a destoying a nest for weeks and weeks. It all she wants to do, but no eggs yet.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Quote Originally Posted by critter crazy
    Wow!! how exciting!! how long do Cockatiel Eggs take to Hatch?? I have a chicken sitting on a clutch of eggs right now, they should hatch in about 6 days! I am so excited!! I love baby birds!! Chicken eggs take 21 days. Good luck on the hatch, and hopefully they are fertile!
    If they're anything like Budgies, it should be about 18 days. I miss rearing chicks!! *sigh* You have to update us if they're fertile!

how long do Cockatiel Eggs take to Hatch??
    It takes about 21 days for cockatiel eggs.
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

My story...

I have been very blessed to always have my cockatiel chicks hatch and be very healthy. People have alwys said that they usually will not hatch without a nest box and/or some will not hatch but all of mine hatch, everytime. I keep wood chips on the bottum of the cage and they sit on the eggs there. (I keep plenty of fresh foods, cuddle bone, etc) The parents do a wonderful job of feeding the babies and I never wanted to risk hand-feeding them because of the huge risk of them dying but I had to hand-feed my last one and they have always been just as tame because I handle them at a young age.

I have a strange story... My cockatiels have always layed a continous 3 eggs and like I said they always hatch but last time they layed 1 egg which is very rare. The egg hatched but the parents were not feeding it and so I had to take up and start hand feeding it.

I bought an incubator and Kaytee Exact formula, along with a lot of other accessories etc etc and so far everything has been really good. I was so worried because I removed the chick at 2 days old and the parents were not sitting on him/her and it was very cold/chilled. I kept waiting to see if they would eventually take care of him but they haven't and so I removed him and have been taking care of the little guy. He/she is a little over 2 weeks old and I am getting very hopefull of survival for him or her because it is growing so much and is very active.
    I was extremely nervous because I have read and have been told how dificult hand feeding is but I have been very careful and everything is wonderful so far.

Another weird thing is... That My birds usually breed in the spring and summer months but they did not breed at all untill November this year (maybe the weather). They usually only have 2-3 clutches at the most every year and there first clutch of 3 was at the end of November and I was also concerned for them but they all hatched and were fine. This latch clutch was in January and he hatched also, although he was a single egg.

About 5 years back when I first got my birds, and a while later they laid eggs I was told to put the eggs in a nest box or they would not hatch. I did this and the parents did not like the nest box and wouldn't sit on them so I decided to place them in the cage bottum, but then they decided that they wanted to have nothing to do with the eggs, since I touched them and would not sit on them. After the 2nd time I realized it was me and learned to leave the eggs alone or they would not hatch and voila the 3rd time and there on out everything has been fine.

I was just reading on one website written by an avian vet I believe, that the "touch the eggs" story is an old wives tell and you can touch the eggs and the parents will not abandon them... Well I call him bluff because I have experienced this twice by barely touching the eggs and being careful but they will not have anything to do with them. I talked to a lady that sais that she can touch her eggs but her birds are used to her doing it and so they do not get alarmed... But she agrees with me completely that with some cockatiels and other birds that you just have to leave the eggs alone or they will be abandoned. I can't believe someone would tell such a horrible lie, who probably hasn't experienced it for him/her self that is suppose to be an experienced person.

I was just reading on one website written by an avian vet I believe, that the "touch the eggs" story is an old wives tell and you can touch the eggs and the parents will not abandon them...
    I had to touch my cocktiel's eggs when I cleaned out the cage every night and she never abandoned them.

Do you raise them and sell them?

Good luck Logan! How's the mother to be and eggies doing?
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June