Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: New Puppy!!---(Pictures included)

New Puppy!!---(Pictures included)

Hey everyone! Yukon, as you may know, I had rescued him from my local shelter when he was about 4 months old. He is now a bit over a year old. I have been trying to work with him since I adopted him, harness breaking, pulling small logs, letting him run with another dog or two, etc. Well even now he just wants nothing to do with pulling. I get the harnesses out and he alot of times will hide in his dog house while the other dogs go crazy, lol. So anyways, I have decided to let him go to a different good home (I really think he will make someone a good companion ). (relative probably)

BUT, I will still have 8 Huskies. Just the other night (1/3/07) I got a new Siberian Husky pup, Kodiak. Here are some pictures of him.......

Last edited by *sled_dog*; 01-08-2007 at 10:43 PM.

OMG!! He is just so adorable!!! I love that last pic with all the stuffies!!!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

The new pup is adorable. Can't you just keep Yukon for a pet though? Does he have to be a sled dog???
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Oh, how cute! Welcome Kodiak! You're going to have lots of fun with your new Mommy!

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Quote Originally Posted by kimlovescats
    Can't you just keep Yukon for a pet though? Does he have to be a sled dog???
    Actually, yes, as I do run sled dogs, that is why I got him. To train him, etc. I would LOVE to keep him, but he is not working out the way I had hoped. All my dogs are like just a pet, but I have a hobby with each of them (training, sledding, running, agility, obedience....) I just don't want to feel like I don't give him enough time, ya know Taking out the other dogs for a run, and him being left behind. Not that he isn't happy here, but I think Yukon will be happy with someone to have him as a pet, he is very friendly and loving . (hope that made sense)
    Last edited by *sled_dog*; 01-06-2007 at 12:21 PM.

I see. Good luck finding Yukon a wonderful home! He sure is a handsome boy!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Prayers for Yukon and finding him a new home.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Good luck with the new puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9
    Prayers for Yukon and finding him a new home.

Ditto. Hopefully his next home will keep him for longer than a year.
    Last edited by Kfamr; 01-06-2007 at 08:33 AM.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Up North. Where all your troubles freeze and fall off.
    MAJOR cuteness warning needed. Some people just can't stand (literally!) those blue eyes. and the howling pic... oh the howling pic...*melts* And with the stuffies... Oh my...

Soooooo cute. I <3 blue eyes.
    STILL AVAILABLE BY E-MAIL

Not bashing just curious, what if one of your other dogs gets hurt and can't pull anymore? Do you find them a new home and replace them? What if this new puppy decides he doesn't like to pull? Will he also be found a new home and be replaced? Don't get me wrong, I am glad you aren't just dumping Yukon back as the shelter, but it just seems sad that he is being rehomed for no other reason than he didn't do what you thought he should do. It's not like he doesn't get along with other dogs, causes major destruction, has horrid and dangerous behavior, he just doesn't want to pull. If one of your other dogs suddnely can't do what you expect of them in their certain "discipline", do they also get rehomed and replaced? I am only asking because I can't imagine doing that if I truly loved my dog, I'd make a place for him to just be him, and make separate time for him to just go on a walk etc.. Not asking to rip into you, I really am just wondering.

The pup is cute, it just loses something to know another dog is being "replaced" so I guess for me it's not as exciting, I don't know, just seems sad.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

I know all of this is your decission-

However- after reading this repeatedly- I do have a few comments. First of all welcome new puppy..
    Second- it will take a good 9 months before the puppy is " up and running" so you still only have 7 dogs until then. Is there any possiblity the other dog Yukon could have been trained the wrong way for him? Meaning- some dogs are late bloomers- and maybe he needs more time- going back to square one. We have a lady in our county that does this sled pulling. She puts the harness on the dogs for days so they get use to it, and associate with food etc.. I am not going to sit here and pretend I know how to train a sled dog- I am just trying to make the point maybe he needed to be trained a different way to make it on the team. He is already old enough. Maybe he just needs more training- or needs to run with a different dog- one he likes more etc until he gets the point of this. I am hoping you will look at how he was trained, and think of another way you could work with him on this- meanwhile- the puppy grows up...

what a gorgeous little boy, just stunning.

While the puppy is cute, I don't think this fair for Yukon at all. You keep Meeko as a pet, isn't there just the slightest chance you CAN keep Yukon?

Yes it is a shame for yukon , could he not stay as a pet, my sibe bitch mishka dosen't like running in a race harness either so i don't mind , she came to us as a pup so stays here as i don't like to rehoime dogs unless it was an emergency or i had lost my home , god forbid.

The pup is cute.
    I agree with what others have stated, though.
    Especially Vela and borzoimom.. both of them made very good points.
    Maltese_Love also pointed out a good point. Eventhough Meeko is your mum's dog, if I remember right, why is their room and time for him in the family and not Yukon? I know huskies are considerably larger than pomeranians. I find that even just letting your dog play with another dog can help fill the time that you're unable to spend with them. In fact, our Husky mix likes to play with our foster pug more than he likes to play with us humans!

A dog comes into a home as not only a responsibility, but also as a family member. They rely on you. They believe in you that you'll always be there for them.

Don't take this as a bashing.. as its not. Like others, I just can't see why you are unable to keep Yukon.