Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibility of forum just for photos?

Possibility of forum just for photos?

Since I'm fairly new here I might have missed a discussion on the subject of photos. If I did, maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

I enjoy the discussions and am happy to be a member of Pet Talk. But here's my dilemma. With only being able to pop in and out whenever I have some spare time, I simply don't have enough time to open every new thread. As a result I waste time, (it's not really wasted but it's the only way to make my meaning clear ) opening threads with nothing but photos.

When I have extra time, I thoroughly enjoy relaxing and oohing and aahing over photos of all the teriffic pets that have been posted.

Many pet discussions have a topic just for photos and a seperate one for actual discussions.

Am I the only one that thinks it might be a benefit to have a photo topic seperate from the general discussions in order to speed things up when time is short?
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

Not a bad idea. I have an old, slow computer and it takes forever to open photo threads. Not that I don't like them, I just can't wait for them.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I prefer Pet Talk's set up over other boards with forums just for pictures. I don't know why, but I always have. I like having pictures, stories, etc. all under one forum. However, I wouldn't be against it if it helped people with slow computers and such.

Journey - 2yr old Australian Shepherd
    Ripley - 5 1/2yr old Doberman
    Dance RN CGN FM - 7 1/2yr old Toller

I prefer it the way it is, but that's just my opinion. Most people put something like "pics" or "photos" in the subject line for a photo thread. Also you can hold your mouse over the thread title and read the first few lines of the thread...I usually do that before opening a thread. It will give you a pretty good idea if it is text, photos, or both.
    Last edited by wolf_Q; 01-13-2007 at 01:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by applesmom

... in order to speed things up when time is short?
    You can choose to NOT see the Images in posts >>>

* Click on User CP (Control Panel) in the upper click bar

* Under Control Panel / Setting & Options in the left panel >>>

* Click on Edit Options

* Scroll Down to the THIRD Box = Visible Post Elements ...
    You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.

* Show Signatures
    * Show Avatars
    * Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)

UN-check the "Show Images" box for starters ... now you won't "see" ANY Photographs.

Also consider UN-checking "Show Signatures" ... some of them can add a
    lot of time to loading a page.

When you have time - go back and RE-check the Show Images to see the photos again.

/s/ Phred
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Thanks, I hadn't looked into those options before I opened my mouth. Or should I say typed my words?
    To train a dog you have to think like a dog!

I have been to other forums where there was a discussion side and a photo side... it was awful. I love how Karen and Paul have it set up

On another board I am on, they have their own picture uploading service. People can upload their images into their own gallery, and then post them as thumbnails, thus allowing the page to load more quickly, and they can sift through the ones they might like and open them to make them bigger.

Maybe this is something worth looking into? I would imagine it would take some more coding though.

I like it the way it is, except for the picture threads where people haven't resized them at all. These threads must be pretty slow to open for people with modems.

As far as I remember, there was/is a limit of images posted in each post of 8 (eight!). I don't know if this is still valid, but I do know that signatures have a limit of 25k. Concerning other images posted, I'm not sure there is a limit.

On another Forum I know that are using vBulletin 3.6.4, they have a limit of 75k for posting images. If it's bigger, it just won't upload. Perhaps Karen and Paul could do the same here, if this vBulletin version allows it.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q
    I prefer it the way it is, but that's just my opinion. Most people put something like "pics" or "photos" in the subject line for a photo thread. Also you can hold your mouse over the thread title and read the first few lines of the thread...I usually do that before opening a thread. It will give you a pretty good idea if it is text, photos, or both.

Ditto. I like it the way it is.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by areias
    On another board I am on, they have their own picture uploading service. People can upload their images into their own gallery, and then post them as thumbnails,
    I belong to a poodle forum like that but we can actually do a similar thing here already. When you want to post a picture just post it as an attachment and it comes up in thumbnail size. Then people can click on it if they want to see it full size.

I like things the way they are now. So often a photo goes along with a story.

I prefer it the way it already is aswell .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I like it the way it is. Good idea though.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I like it the way it is also.
    Merry Holidays to One an All Blessed be

I like it just the way it is.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla