Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos on teens - opinions pls

Quote Originally Posted by Marigold2
    ... When I see someone with a tattoo I think less of them. I tip less at a resturant ...
    Wow. Are you serious?

If you got excellent service from a friendly, competent waitress you would tip her less than a sloppy rude waitress, simply because she had a tattoo?? That's truly stereotyping and prejudice, IMO.

Doubly sad coming from someone whose mother was obviously a victim of prejudice, sterotyping and hate ... you so readily do it to others? Sad.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I don't even begin to know where I'm "from"
    Too bad the darn things are semi-permanent. They might think it looks cool now but no tattoo looks good on a 50 or 60 year old, it just looks cheap.
    My uncle Danny is an upper-class sixty something. He just got a tattoo from a master tattoo artist. This thing is some of the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen.

I'm sorry for your mother's experience with this, but it seems you're viewing all body mods through this light.
    Doing my part to save BBD's, one dog at a time!

I hate tattoos. My mom was in concentration camp and had one on her arm, it started with a Z and had numbers behind it. She became a number in that camp. A non-person. It was horrible, disgusting and embarrassing for her. People always asked why she had it and when she said " it was from concentration camp" people asked all kinds of dumb questions. When I see someone with a tattoo I think less of them. I tip less at a resturant. I think a lot of young people now a days do not realize how horrible those tattoos will look as they age. All those young girls with the backside/ half way down the butt tattoos. Well when they are older those things are going to sag, get cellulite, fat, and creep down the backside. Not a pretty thought. It's a fad, and it will go along with nuts and bolts that people pierce themselves with. Too bad the darn things are semi-permanent. They might think it looks cool now but no tattoo looks good on a 50 or 60 year old, it just looks cheap.
    You have your right to voice your opinion on this board but not to be rude! Sorry that it happened to your mom but I don't see how in any way that it makes tattoos bad..it's not like thats what everyone's tattoo is about, it's not like every tattoo artist is some idiot from back in the day. Talk about quick to judge...
    You JUST sent me a pm the other day saying how you though I was smart..well since I have tattoos and know you now dose that make me dumb? Less of a person? Ugly?
    I would hope not. Now a days tattoos symbolies (sp?) other things not like your mothes tattoo did.
    TAttoos now are constant reminders of things, it helps alot of people move on with death after getting something tattooed on them that reminds them of the deacesed. And many othe meaningful things.
    What you said is like being rascit and BSL...two of the worst things..

Oh and for the recored my dad's dad is 60 something and still getting tattoos and none of his look bad not everyone's tattoos will sag and look deformed you dont wrinkle THAT much...
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

First, I admit, I only read page one of this thread.
    Why not compromise and get a really good henna tattoo for the first time or 6? They last about a month so you can adjust to the idea of having one. See if the novelty wears off; after a month, he may forget he has it or wanted it. Plus the first one may not be the one he wants for life? Just a thought. Sorry if someone already suggested this on pages 2 through here.

tattoo

Yes I do have strong feelings on tattoos. And no of course I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings. To me a tattoo means death. Death for all those 6 million people. They were marked by tattoos and then killed. I respect the memory of all of them. Marking on ones body was how they were made to feel and become non-human. If people want to express themselves how about a painting that can be put on the wall? This way they have their artistic expression and if they ever feel different they can just take it down. This way if I love Johnny forever changes to Bill's girl there isn't a problem. Society has become more excepting to tattoos, however I do think they are a fad, like Paris Hilton. Mabye in 10 years no one will find them so cool and the people with them won't either. Time will tell. It can go both ways. Styles change.

The people who get them because it's the "cool" thing to do are not so bright but I know most people don't. For me it's not a fad..
    See ALL my pets here

tattoo

You know Alicia I think you are very intelligent and when it comes to info on rabbits you are the best. Very well read, very up to date on info. What I am trying to say that at 16 your style will change. What you like now you might not like at 25 or 30. Even the most beautiful paintings are taken down from time to time and replaced or moved, to another room. Your style in music, clothing, books, men, furniture, cars all those things change as we get older and society changes to another style. Things I liked at 16 I didn't like at 21, from 21 to 26 everything changed again. I no longer decorate my rooms with Led Zepplin posters and black lights, bean bags and shag carpet. I respect you and lets hope that this one issue does not make us angry at one another. I hope you can respect my view, be it old fashioned.

They were marked by tattoos and then killed. I respect the memory of all of them. Marking on ones body was how they were made to feel and become non-human.
    People have tattooed themselves long before this happened as a form of self expression, faith, pride, etc. Look at the Maori, for example. Unfortunately, you have a terrible associated with tattoos which is understandable. What happened to your mother and countless others is horrible. I don't mean to take away from that.

If people want to express themselves how about a painting that can be put on the wall? This way they have their artistic expression and if they ever feel different they can just take it down. This way if I love Johnny forever changes to Bill's girl there isn't a problem.
    Because if I want to carry it with me, I can and will. I have paintings on my walls at home and that's fine. But if I want to have one that's more sentimental, I'm keeping it with me. My choice.

Society has become more excepting to tattoos, however I do think they are a fad, like Paris Hilton. Maybe in 10 years no one will find them so cool and the people with them won't either. Time will tell. It can go both ways. Styles change.
    Again, some cultures have been doing it for centuries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ladies, we need to stop comparing men to dogs. Dogs are loyal!" Wanda Sykes

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Tattoos are art, a form of personal expression. I can't say that I like all paintings I see on canvas anymore than I can say that I like all tattoos on skin or all photos taken with a camera. I do like art, though. I do like personal expression. There has never been a time in my life that I wouldn't approach someone who was pierced ten times in their face or that I wouldn't approach someone who was covered in tattoos. Now, that's not to say that once I got to know the person, I chose not to associate with them afterwards. But it's the same with people that are totally clean cut, with no piercings or tattoos.

I choose who I hang out with and associate with based on their personalities, not their backgrounds, their skin color, their choice in clothes/music/cars/homes etc. People who do truly miss out on some amazing people.

And, I don't remember now who said that about tipping someone less because they have a tattoo...but, wow! I've had some horrible waiting experiences and that's the only time I'll tip less. I tip based on service and personality...again, not on skin color, hair style, tattoos, etc. (I think hygiene is something that has affected my tip one time, and only because the person made it physically hard to eat my food...pew!)

I do see and completely understand why places will and won't hire based on the physical appearance of a person. Whether tattoos and piercings are accepted more now than they used to be, the simple fact is that things haven't changed so much that the majority of consumers don't still prefer to see someone clean and simply presented when they're at a restaurant or a grocery store or a retail store or whatever. There are plenty of jobs out there available for people who want to express themselves while at work and wear what they want and stand out from the crowd and all that.

I like to wear my hair down and I like to wear my shirt untucked and usually unironed. But the fact is I can't at work. It's something I am willing to sacrifice, because as soon as I clock out, I do what I want with my hair and my clothes. I choose to express my individuality through my personal brand of customer service, my personality and my smile. Again, once I'm off the clock, I have more freedom to express myself in other ways, too. I don't see that it's that big of a deal. There's a time and place for everything.

***Ally Cat's Mommy***I say tell him the pros and cons of it, but don't hammer them in. Unfortunately, people have to make their own mistakes sometimes. And, maybe it won't be a mistake, I know a few people who don't regret their tattoos. The majority of the people I know who got them early on in life tend to regret them, but not everyone does. But no matter how much someone tells you that your tastes may change, and that your interests may shift, many people will never see that until it happens. Especially kids. I remember how passionate I was about so many things that hold little to no interest at all for me now, but I remember the passion. And no one could have told me that I would change my mind about some things. Again, I say let him know the downside, if he doesn't already, and then let it be. Help him find a good place (I have someone close to me who will more than likely die from hepatitis c because of a tattoo he got as a young man.), help him pick something meaningful. I would set limits on where he can get the tattoo on his body, but that's about the only thing I would set a limit on.***

Anyway, I'm done. Good luck!
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Originally Posted by Marigold2
    ... When I see someone with a tattoo I think less of them. I tip less at a resturant ...
    It's not what counts on the outside ... it's what counts on the inside.

Never judge a book by it's cover.

Life is life & no matter what people will choose things that may not aprove to you but even so - it's there life & there choice so we have no say towards it.There is no reason for dis-liking a person for a simple tattoo, there are many, many great people in this world who have done such good for this earth .. and geuss what! some of those people just happened to have a tattoo.

I don't really think anyone is intentionally being rude here in this thread, although it may come across that way, it is really how they feel about them, and it is a fact of life many people do feel exactly like that, less of that person and it is cheap etc, I personally are not for them, but each to their own, if you are happy with them, who am I to question that, everyone is an individual, and what makes one happy does not necessarily make another.

Let's face it in general we humans are not the most tolerant race, and do judge people by how they look, but the old saying don't judge a book by it's cover does indeed come to mind.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

You know Alicia I think you are very intelligent and when it comes to info on rabbits you are the best. Very well read, very up to date on info. What I am trying to say that at 16 your style will change. What you like now you might not like at 25 or 30. Even the most beautiful paintings are taken down from time to time and replaced or moved, to another room. Your style in music, clothing, books, men, furniture, cars all those things change as we get older and society changes to another style. Things I liked at 16 I didn't like at 21, from 21 to 26 everything changed again. I no longer decorate my rooms with Led Zepplin posters and black lights, bean bags and shag carpet. I respect you and lets hope that this one issue does not make us angry at one another. I hope you can respect my view, be it old fashioned.
    I get what your trying to say and I'm not mad I was just upset about your first remark. I have been the same type of style for years and I personally don't think I'm going to change now. And I never regret anything , I learn from my mistakes and they shape who I am. (Actually I was thinking getting a tattoo saying something associated with no regrets..) Dosen't adults style etc still change when they grow older and older too? So no matter what the age it doesn't really make a difference you can still not like something as you continue to age.
    See ALL my pets here

Personally, I think they're ugly and they gross me out when I see people with them.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

If he's gonna get it I would atleast support him and make sure it's done right. By a professional. Not someone's house or a dirty unclean shop. A tattoo is very permanent. They can be removed, but it's very painful and doesn't disapear all the way.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I just heard on the car radio on the way home about a guy who has had a full english breakfast tattooed on his forehead. A tattoo artist came up with the design a little while ago, but until now had not found anyone unhinged (his word, not mine) enough to have it done. So this 19-year old now has bacon, egg, sausage and beans on his forehead with a knife and fork over each ear.

Don't tell Cam.